“Nice hotel but lots of problems”

Le Metropolitan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Nice hotel but lots of problems”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I hate to write a bad review, and have never scored a nice hotel so low before, but we had so many problems with this hotel that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Our first two nights in Paris were at the Hyatt Paris Madeleine, which was very nice. Then we spent two nights here, which I booked with points. We are Club Carlson Gold Elite members, and have always been treated well at other Radisson Blu properties. We were traveling with our two boys, and so booked two rooms. Online I requested that the two rooms be close to each other, and I also phoned the central reservation system a couple weeks in advance requesting the same. One room was booked with a king bed and the other with two twins.

When we arrived, we were assigned rooms in two separate buildings, and they were both arranged as king beds. When I went back to the front desk to protest, I was told that they could separate one of the beds into two twins, but couldn't give us rooms any closer together because the hotel was full. I said that I had requested this in advance, but they said since I hadn't specifically requested connecting rooms they didn't have anything for us (I didn't know this hotel even HAD connecting rooms). However, they said they could move us the next morning to adjacent rooms, and even wrote down the room numbers. Also, for the mistake with the beds, we were offered a free drink at the bar.

While the beds were being made into two twins, we took all our luggage into the other room and waited. Then, when it was ready, we began to take the luggage to the other room (down from the 4th floor in one building, all the way across the hotel, and then up to the 3rd floor in the other.) Then the elevator broke! We carried the luggage up the three flights of stairs. The elevator remained non-functional for about 24 hours, during which we had to trudge back and forth between the two rooms several times. I admit it made me pretty grumpy.

The next morning we packed up and moved the boys out of their room, but the new one wasn't ready yet. Also, we were informed that the person who told us we could be moved to adjacent rooms was mistaken, and we could only be given a room that was one floor down from the other room, although at least in the same building. We agreed to this, thinking that at least it was an improvement, but unfortunately the new room was smaller and the wifi was worse.

While waiting for their room to be ready, the boys wanted to go swimming in the pool in the basement. However, we were told the pool costs 20 euros per room for use, although a fee was never mentioned beforehand, and even in the hotel booklet in the room it says that the pool is free for guests. I asked if that fee was waived for Gold Elite members, and they said no. There is also no free breakfast for Gold Elite Members, and obviously no room upgrades or superior service, so our status only resulted in a couple cookies and a bottle of water in our rooms (and only on the first day). Oh, and the first day we had a little welcome card in our room, but it was addressed to someone else (that reinforced the feeling that this had all been a mistake)!

There is free internet, but in the back building where we ended up it was spotty and unreliable.
The thermostats in the rooms were confusing, and there were no instructions. The room lighting was creative but there didn't seem to be a way to get some of the lights to turn all the way off -- I just ended up unplugging them. And my personal pet peeve -- I am fairly tall,and the hairdryer, which was permanently attached to a spot underneath the sink, could barely be pulled to the top of my head. You also had to hold a button down the whole time you were using it.

And just one more issue -- when we returned from sightseeing the second day at at around 4pm to rest a bit before dinner, our room hadn't been cleaned. I went to the front desk to inquire when we might expect that, and they seemed surprised that I would request that. I'm not really that particular, but thought it would at least be nice to have clean towels since there was nowhere to hang the used towels (only a shelf in the bathroom). They said they would send housekeeping right away, and so we hung out in the boys room while waiting. My husband wanted to take a quick nap, but it took about 1-1/2 hours for them to get to our room, and by then it was almost too late.

In conclusion, although the rooms were nicely decorated and the location is certainly convenient, this hotel suffered quite a bit when contrasted with the Hyatt. The hotel staff were very pleasant but didn't seem that interested in us or our problems, and I certainly never felt treated as a hotel status member. In fact, I came away feeling pretty abused, and the drink at the bar seemed like pretty pathetic compensation. I wished several times that I could have moved to another hotel, and certainly would never stay here again. I'm glad to read that many others have had more a more pleasant experience than we did.

Room Tip: If you want wifi, ask for a room in the front building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anonymous mom
FPOMartin, General Manager at Le Metropolitan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Anonymous mom,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.

We are very sorry that you it does let you a sour impression. Be sure that we have noted all remarks and that we will learn from them.

We hope to host your next stay in Paris, so we will be able to bring back your confidence in our property.

Fabrice Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
Park Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After walking to our room on stained hall carpeting,we found the AC not operable. The front desk rep. Came to the room to set the AC and assured us that it would be working in a couple of hours. We went out all day to explore the city and returned by 11:30 p.m. The air conditioner,though running,did not cool the room. The desk rep. Took us to another room,which was smaller and unacceptable. The next room was the same type room one floor above us. At this point,it was after midnight and no offer was made to help us move all of our belongings. I am gold elite status, and of all the Radisson Blu locations,this was the worst. The painted stairs needed a paint job, and when we went to checkout,the desk clerk was going to waive our mini bar charges for the inconveniences we experienced. We had not used the minibar. I feel that you should made aware of the disappointing experience we had.

Room Tip: We were not encouraged to choose a good room.

1 Thank Judi D
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Nice hotel in a great location. The staff was very helpful; the room was small but well appointed (marble bath). We would stay at this hotel again. Also, there was a laundry mat across the street for any longer stays. The tube was a short walk as well.

1 Thank Gordon G
Dear Gordn G,

We would like to thank you to have taken the time to share your comments with us .

We also would like to thank you for this nice review and we hope welcoming you back very soon in the heart of Paris

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked the hotel based on the location and the fact that I hold Gold status with Radisson's Club Carlson. We checked in and went to the room in an old elevator at the back of the hotel that had just been used to move rubbish so smelt badly. Tried to open the door with the keycard and it didn't work. Neither did the other. Back down to reception in the smelly elevator and was given another keycard which did work. The room was small - I asked if there were any upgrades available, but apparently not as they were full. Their website didn't concur with this. We could see the Eiffel Tower from the small balcony though, so that was good.
After a quick change we went out for dinner and drinks, returning at about 3am. Back in the little, old elevator to our room and guess what...the key card didn't work again (at this point I should make it clear that I stay 100+ nights per year in hotels so realise that the cards can be decoded if next to anything electrical, but I've never ever had this problem anywhere else). So back down in the elevator to reception for another keycard. Back up in the lift and yes, you guessed it, this one didn't work either. Back down and the night reception guy came back with his master keycard to let us into our room.

Good night's sleep and a full day of sightseeing followed, only ruined by the fact that the keycard didn't work again when we returned. Is that 5 or 6 now?? Whilst my girlfriend was getting ready to go out for the evening, I decided to use the pool that was advertised on the website as the room wasn't really big enough for 2 people to be getting ready at the same time. I put my keycard in the slot in the elevator to allow me to press -1, but that didn't work either. I wasn't surprised so went to reception. They told me that it was €20 to use the pool, a recent charge that wasn't yet advertised on the website. Luckily for me, my Gold status meant that I could swim for free. However, the changing rooms were blocked off, so I had to use the disabled toilet to change.

Anyway, we made it out for dinner again that evening and upon returning to the hotel at 3am, you'll all be amazed that this time the keycard did work and we did manage to get into the room at the very first attempt.

So in summary, it's a nice hotel in a good location. But the lack of a room upgrade, the inconvenience of many keycards not working, and the lack of facilities in the beautiful pool area, made me wish I'd tried a different hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a lot for a suite as the standard rooms are small.

2 Thank LotusSooty .
FPOMartin, General Manager at Le Metropolitan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear LotusSooty,

We would like to thank you for your review and we would like to apologies for the inconveniences.

Be sure that we have had the key system fixed, so this problem will not occur anymore.

Looking forward to your next stay with us in Paris.

Paris, France
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I live in Paris and have 2 children so my partner and I have a night out every few months, stay in a different hotel and have dinner. I had really wanted to stay here for a while and eventually got round to it.

The room was 40m sq (bigger than most Parisian apartments), a luxury bathroom with a bath and walk in shower and a view of the Eiffel Tower, all was good! There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby and I nipped out for some rosé. They opened the bottle for me at the bar and went I upstairs to propose! Seconds later there was a knock at the door and a bottle of champagne arrived on the house!!

I soaked in the bath, lounged on the sofa and enjoyed every minute of it!The breakfast was great and kept me full for the day! Eggs, bacon, cereal, yoghurt etc, it was all very fresh and cooked for us as opposed to warming under a lamp for a week.

The staff were genuinely helpful, they smile and ask the simple question, "can we help you?"

I would more than happily stay here again, hopefully very soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian M
Dear Ian M,

We would like to thank you for this very nice review and to have chosen our hotel to host such an event.

On behalf of the whole team, we would like to present our congratulations.

We are now looking forward to welcome you very soon in the heart of Paris.

Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 9 July 2014

In my room (deluxe room apparently) there was not the enough space to open the luggage that I was forced to put on a chair.
In the fridge I have found a bottle of mineral water with the cap already open.
I received a gift for a free drink at the bar that I could not use for the waiting time (only one person to prepare and serve the cocktails).
Good for the position, but would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank sirelex
Dear Sirelex,

We are very sorry that this two details let you a sour impression.

Worldwide
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have now stayed at this hotel twice in the past 6 months - they can be so proud of their staff, especially everyone at the reception, they offer genuine service, make you feel you belong at the hotel and so many more things. Location is 16th arrondissement at its best! Will be back whenever I am I in Paris!

Room Tip: Make sure to have a room with a balcony so you can se the Eiffel Tower or book a suite, then you see...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends