“Pleasant service, compact room”

Le Metropolitan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #315 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Pleasant service, compact room”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our first trip to Paris, so we had heard the rooms would be small...which it was compared to American hotels. The finishes were beautiful, bed was comfortable, but very little space for anything else. Minimalist design/function. Staff was friendly and formal. Had delicious breakfast there every morning...it's not quick, so plan for that. And enjoyed the view from the bar at night...can see the Eiffel Tower all lit up at night. Loved the location, short walk to Metropolitan and great little neighborhood to walk around in for restaurants, shopping, markets...especially a beautiful flower shop right across the street.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

FPOMartin, General Manager at Le Metropolitan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Emily F,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for giving us your opinion.

We can read some room for improvement, this is well noted.

Looking forward to your next stay in Paris,

Fabrice Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a work trip. The good things: location, intimate and comfortable bar on the floor above the reception desk, wifi, lovely bathroom with natural light. The things that were less ideal: the tub looked so uncomfortable I didn't even bother trying to take a bath, the desk in my room was barely big enough to put my 13" laptop on, the restaurant was very expensive for breakfast and saying we had a meeting to make it to did not seem to inspire any urgency among the staff. I would stay here again if I didn't have to do any work during my stay.

Room Tip: If your room looks into the courtyard, your bathroom will have good natural light (just be sure to c...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Patalavaca, Spanje
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were on a long weekend trip in Paris.

The hotel is very good. Not to big, good french breakfast and very nice hotelroom. The room is not very big, modern but spacious enough, and everything you need is there. Very nice bathroom.

The hotel is in quiet area, but very close to Eiffel tower and metro. The valet parking is very convenient.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor that has a smal balcony, from which you have a nice view at the ei...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Kansas
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is in a charming neighborhood with lovely views of the Eiffel Tower from many rooms. The rooms themselves were very clean and nicely appointed but TINY even by typical big city standards.

The bar on the 2nd floor was lovely and we were given coupons for welcome drinks which was a nice gesture for someone with only Club Carlson Gold status.

Everyone on the staff was polite, helpful and welcoming. There is a laundry and a mall with a large and well stocked grocery about 1/2 block away. There are many nice restaurants in walking distance and this hotel is convenient to the metro.

The two negatives about this hotel (aside from the room size which cannot be changed) is that the carpet in the hallways looks dreadful - very old, worn and dirty looking, and there is a $20 per day charge for the swimming pool. My daughter was so disappointed by that.

Room Tip: If you're lucky enough to score the rooms on the tip of the hotel (ending in 11), I think you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Best hotel, best service and best location. Amazing hotel and cant wait to go back. The room was small, but based on Parisian size standards it was very roomy. In addition, the bathroom/shower/tub combo was really nice. it was a great place to soak your feet after a long day of walking. Also, the hotel has a pool!!! For a California girl like me, this was just amazing. it was awesome to take a dip and unwind.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Natalie A
Dear Natalie A,

This is such a nice review, thank you very much on behalf of the whole team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kind regards

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Far too small rooms! good luck to take a shower in the bathroom! Traveling a lot and staying in Radisson and Hilton hotels, it is by far the worst I have been in, it is clean and well located but I hope you are a good gymnast to take your shower and that you don't bring too much clothes with you as you might make a choice...Prices are far too high and you can find much better hotels in Paris for a lower cost

Room Tip: no good room to choose except the exec ones
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank p b
Dear P B,

Thank you very much taking the time to comment your stay in our property and I'm very sorry to read that your stay did not go as it should mainly on your accommodation.

Regarding the room size, please note we do have bigger rooms in different categories.

We do hope to welcome you very soon to bring back your confidence in our Hotel.

Best Regards,

Colorado
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I hate to write a bad review, and have never scored a nice hotel so low before, but we had so many problems with this hotel that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Our first two nights in Paris were at the Hyatt Paris Madeleine, which was very nice. Then we spent two nights here, which I booked with points. We are Club Carlson Gold Elite members, and have always been treated well at other Radisson Blu properties. We were traveling with our two boys, and so booked two rooms. Online I requested that the two rooms be close to each other, and I also phoned the central reservation system a couple weeks in advance requesting the same. One room was booked with a king bed and the other with two twins.

When we arrived, we were assigned rooms in two separate buildings, and they were both arranged as king beds. When I went back to the front desk to protest, I was told that they could separate one of the beds into two twins, but couldn't give us rooms any closer together because the hotel was full. I said that I had requested this in advance, but they said since I hadn't specifically requested connecting rooms they didn't have anything for us (I didn't know this hotel even HAD connecting rooms). However, they said they could move us the next morning to adjacent rooms, and even wrote down the room numbers. Also, for the mistake with the beds, we were offered a free drink at the bar.

While the beds were being made into two twins, we took all our luggage into the other room and waited. Then, when it was ready, we began to take the luggage to the other room (down from the 4th floor in one building, all the way across the hotel, and then up to the 3rd floor in the other.) Then the elevator broke! We carried the luggage up the three flights of stairs. The elevator remained non-functional for about 24 hours, during which we had to trudge back and forth between the two rooms several times. I admit it made me pretty grumpy.

The next morning we packed up and moved the boys out of their room, but the new one wasn't ready yet. Also, we were informed that the person who told us we could be moved to adjacent rooms was mistaken, and we could only be given a room that was one floor down from the other room, although at least in the same building. We agreed to this, thinking that at least it was an improvement, but unfortunately the new room was smaller and the wifi was worse.

While waiting for their room to be ready, the boys wanted to go swimming in the pool in the basement. However, we were told the pool costs 20 euros per room for use, although a fee was never mentioned beforehand, and even in the hotel booklet in the room it says that the pool is free for guests. I asked if that fee was waived for Gold Elite members, and they said no. There is also no free breakfast for Gold Elite Members, and obviously no room upgrades or superior service, so our status only resulted in a couple cookies and a bottle of water in our rooms (and only on the first day). Oh, and the first day we had a little welcome card in our room, but it was addressed to someone else (that reinforced the feeling that this had all been a mistake)!

There is free internet, but in the back building where we ended up it was spotty and unreliable.
The thermostats in the rooms were confusing, and there were no instructions. The room lighting was creative but there didn't seem to be a way to get some of the lights to turn all the way off -- I just ended up unplugging them. And my personal pet peeve -- I am fairly tall,and the hairdryer, which was permanently attached to a spot underneath the sink, could barely be pulled to the top of my head. You also had to hold a button down the whole time you were using it.

And just one more issue -- when we returned from sightseeing the second day at at around 4pm to rest a bit before dinner, our room hadn't been cleaned. I went to the front desk to inquire when we might expect that, and they seemed surprised that I would request that. I'm not really that particular, but thought it would at least be nice to have clean towels since there was nowhere to hang the used towels (only a shelf in the bathroom). They said they would send housekeeping right away, and so we hung out in the boys room while waiting. My husband wanted to take a quick nap, but it took about 1-1/2 hours for them to get to our room, and by then it was almost too late.

In conclusion, although the rooms were nicely decorated and the location is certainly convenient, this hotel suffered quite a bit when contrasted with the Hyatt. The hotel staff were very pleasant but didn't seem that interested in us or our problems, and I certainly never felt treated as a hotel status member. In fact, I came away feeling pretty abused, and the drink at the bar seemed like pretty pathetic compensation. I wished several times that I could have moved to another hotel, and certainly would never stay here again. I'm glad to read that many others have had more a more pleasant experience than we did.

Room Tip: If you want wifi, ask for a room in the front building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anonymous mom
Dear Anonymous mom,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.

We are very sorry that you it does let you a sour impression. Be sure that we have noted all remarks and that we will learn from them.

We hope to host your next stay in Paris, so we will be able to bring back your confidence in our property.

Kind regards,