“Well, if you're a certifiable Art Nouveau buff like me and 15 euro pp is not a huge amount for you” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Musee Art Nouveau Collection 1900 - Maxim's

Musee Art Nouveau Collection 1900 - Maxim's
Ranked #396 of 1,085 things to do in Paris
Moscow, Russia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 232 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

then definitely take a peek. There's quite a lot of Art Nouveau furniture, ceramics and lighting crammed into a relatively tight space with claustrophobic ceilings, but most of the stuff, let's face it, is not really museum quality and many objects are in a pitiful state and a bad need of restauration. Here you realize with all clarity that not everything produced in the belle epoque was a work of genius and pure beauty - many exhibits border on kitsch and quite a few boldly trespass the border. Nevertheless, there are some real gems, especially on the furniture front, so if you're already an addict - go for it! But if you're not, I'm afraid this particular museum will hardly make you one, so do yourself a favour and start your acquaintance with the Art Nouveau elsewhere - why not Orsay or the gorgeous Paris 1900 exhibition running in the Petit Palais right now.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Marassa

Leipzig, Germany
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“Not for specialists, but definitely for Art Nouveau lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Once there are very few reviews about this attraction on a very well-known icon of Paris, and some very harsh, we’ve decided to give it a try.
Well, I’ll tell you something: if you’re not a Belle Époque and Art Nouveau connoisseur, especially and most important-if you don’t speak fluent French, you’ll probably lose your time, your temper and easily get bored.

Of course my wife and I are Art Nouveau NUTS, and French speakers, so we voted for the 16:30 visit-in French.
As usual, arriving earlier than scheduled time, we were admitted on the former front dining room until visit time. People at the staff were nice, kind and friendly, with no problems whatsoever.
At the tour time, M. Pierre-André Hélène showed up for the visit, and asked politely if we spoke French, charging us our fee with no delay after being positive we did speak, saying they had already had problems with that.
I had even showed him some negative experiences published on Tripadvisor, and one of the cases, dated 2009, he remembered, felt sorry for what he read, because it had been actually a PR problem

Moments after the visit had started, the great villain had showed up: the TELEPHONE! It began ringing on and on, insistently, until M. Pierre-André himself hung it up giving the person the restaurant was closed. No other member of the staff was there for this purpose…
The visit itself is loaded of technical explanations (a little bit too technical for my taste, but there was a curator on our visiting group, then, it was all right) and anecdotes about the period and people from that time, with precise, sharp and very acute commentaries of a true expert.

The items in the collection are AWESOME, really precious items varying from Majorelle, Tiffany, Gallé and Massier, not mentioning the famous Sarah Bernhardt’s bed, carefully collected by Pierre Cardin, the former owner of the restaurant, and well-kept by M. Pierre-André, bringing back a time and lifestyle the period somewhere between 1871 and 1914, when the arising of the Belle Époque, you find terms like satiety of the traditional in art, architecture and daily life, satiety of the pomp and ostentation of the past. The progress in science and technique, the improvements in social, financial and political respect during a long period of peace together with new constitutions in many countries caused for the rest an increasing prosperity and wide-spread optimism and trust in future are carefully dissected by M. Pierre-André, making the visit a very interesting and exciting look over this short period of Art History.

And room after room the visit continued, until its end, when the personal cellphone of M. Pierre-André rang. Probably it was from some staff members, but he interrupted his speech to answer it! I find this behavior quite rude, but it’s only my opinion – in my point of view, it doesn’t matter what subject is the call about- if you’re talking to someone else, or lecturing, making a conference or running a visit, answering the telephone is unbearable…
In fact, these apparels should be left on vibracall, while the visit goes on, but, again, that’s what I think, the way I act…

Being repetitive: either you speak GOOD and fluent French, study a little about Art Nouveau before your visit or you probably won’t enjoy the way we did. This is absolutely not oriented to specialists, but it is fit, indeed, for those who know exactly what are going to see.

Visited November 2012
8 Thank Schwartzkopf_Reiser
San Francisco, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Go if you love Art Nouveau ... Speaking French a definate +++”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I saw this on a like from KLM and sent a quick e-mail asking if I could reserve a tour and got a quick reply in English both times I sent an e-mail, so I was a bit taken aback when I was told in what I seemed a matter of fact way that the tour would be in French ONLY. Nonetheless I really wanted to see the art and it was worth it ... I'm sure I would have had an even more lovely experience if I could have understood what was being said, but it was a very nice collection and 15 Euros doesn't get you too much in France anyway ... LOL so I quite enjoyed myself and took plenty of pictures (without flash).

Visited December 2011
7 Thank bstu4evrs
Derby, England
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“They don't deserve your visit or your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

We visited the Museum on Sunday in response to publicity in "Greater Paris - Autumne/Hiver 09/10" which said that (as well as Guided Tours at 15 Euros) there are also "Open visits Wed-Sun 11am-5pm". We were told that "Open visits" were not available, and we could have a guided tour in French for 15 Euros each. No hint of an apology or recognition that there was a problem with their PR.

On their web-site we can see the that the guided tours only last for one hour! For 15 Euros each? Do what we did on Sunday, have a really excellent time visiting the Petit Palais which is a fabulous venue with high quality exhibits, free, and the staff treat you with respect!!

7 Thank franc_o_fyle
norfolk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

Restaurant provides normal over priced tourist fare, the area has far better places to eat at less than half the cost.
As for the art nouveau collection, this was most disappointing and again very expensive. The staff were happy to talk English when we were handing money over but could only manage French when we realised they had overcharged us and refused to refund any money. Their only response was they would call the police if we didn't leave the building.

9 Thank happy_wanderer98