“It will do”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cercle National des Armees Saint-Augustin
Ranked #927 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Location-Good. 2 blocks from metro, short cab ride to main attractions.
Service-Good. Helpful and friendly.
Room-Fair. Very basic, outdated, small tub with shower hose.
Food- Fair. Not included in reservation. Overpriced, fair quality.
Cleanliness- Good. Clean, but outdated looking.
Price- Cheap.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2012

I had a great time in Paris, but would have been better in a nicer hotel. My wife and I would have a gerat night and when we came back to this hotel it would almost ruin our evening it was so disappointing.

We stayed in the standard room, which was way too small for us. My biggest complaint is the bath/shower did not have a curtain! So, I could either take a bath like I was 5 years old again or have a sitting shower to get get clear...not what I want to do when staying in Paris.

I asked for an upgrade and the staff told me I was staying in the best room - which I knew was not the case.

Yes, the location was good but so are so many other hotels....do yourself a favor and spend a bit more money and stay in a better hotel!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pcm_1983
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This was my third stay and was very pleased with the service and overall operation of the hotel. The location is at the Place St. Augustine which is within walking distance of many of the major Paris sites. Caveat- check the dress code. There is an enforced dress code for the public rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front fifth floor and above have agreat view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank H1022
Reviewed 21 September 2011

If you are looking for a Paris location with lots of great night life in the area, keep searching. If you are looking for a centrally located hotel at a good price, I would give this my vote. Our vacation was in Aug. and most of Paris is on vacation. The hotel was no exception. The carpets were rolled up and the restaurants were closed, but the service was still excellent. We never saw signs of an enforced dress code and no one said anything about our footwear, although we wore sandals and tennis shoes.

The hotel is located in a non-touristy area of Paris. It's a short walk to Gare St. Lazare and several metro stops are even closer. It's an easy walk to Printemps and Galleries Lafayette. There are good places to eat and a Starbucks around the corner. The street noise won't keep you up at night and we didn't have much noise in the hotel (only a neighboring T.V.).

The staff is polite, efficient and accommodating. We had requested a taxi the night before and the a.m. desk clerk double-checked for us, discovering that it hadn't been ordered. Crisis averted. The rooms are servicable, but have the basics. However, I wish I could have take the furniture home with me! The bed was surprisingly comfortable with adequate pillows. There was a mounted flat-screen, desk, chair and cupboard closet. The bathroom was pretty typical with the bath/shower and no enclosure. The tub was a little tricky to get out of, so be aware of that. There was a mounted hair dryer. There is an outlet for an electric razor and another outlet in the light fixture above the bathroom mirror. The breakfast offering are very good, although we ate there only once. The buffet was fresh and had lots of choices. They had a petite breakfast that was two small pastries and beverge.

If you are looking for value, I would defintely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank patio53
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed for two nights on a short family break and felt very welcome. The accommodation was a litle tired but perfectly clean and comfortable. We had a family apartment and it was spacious and well appointed.
The staff were friendly, very helpful and informative. Nothing was too much trouble.
It was pleasing to know and see that there is a strongly enforced dress code too - no jeans, sports wear ot T-Shirts.
I strongly recommend this to any military officer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Steven Y
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This Cercle National des Armees was in a great location and offered a fabulous price for a Parisian hotel. While the decor was somewhat dated it was extremely clean and comfortable. Rooms were actually a decent size for Paris also. Bathrooms were spacious and clean. Our room overlooked the street on the front of the hotel and offered a lovely view of city lights at night. While overall this was a great hotel there is one major complaint --- the walls are paper thin. We had a family next to us with two small children. I feel I know them intimately just from them being next door. They did not put the children to bed until 4 am each morning ---- NO EXAGERATION!!! The mother ran bath water for them at 3:30 am and had them playing in the tub. All night you could hear this family watching television, talking, etc. Needless to say, when the rest of the hotel was waking up and showers were going and doors closing in the "decent" morning hours the baby began to cry since it had only been asleep since 4 am. Friends who were with us were one floor above and also experienced noisy guests. We ate at the French restaraunt which was very good for the price also. Pay close attention to the dress though as they are not lenient with the dress code at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank maconbartows
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Under NO circumstances should you EVER stay at the Hotel Saint Augustin (8 Place Saint Augustin, 75008, Paris). This is also known as the French Officers Club in Paris and "Cercle National des Armees Saint Augustin". We stayed there in a two bed room from 26-28 June 2011 and it was one of the worst experiences we have had in 28 years of active duty military travel (and we have been everywhere including 11 years living overseas). Upon our arrival at 1300 we were told the room would be available at 1400 as published and we could leave our bags and come back then. No problem, we left our bags in the store room and returned at 1400 only to wait in the lobby in front of the desk for almost another 30-40 minutes for our room "to be cleaned". A big surprise considering how dirty it was upon moving in. The only reason we did not leave immediately was that due to the on-going Paris Air Show we could not find another room under 300-500 Euro/night. The A/C in the room was broken and for two days/nights we sweltered in the heat. It was at least 90 in the room. When we arrived the first morning for breakfast I was turned away since I was wearing new tennis shoes, my wife was turned away for wearing open toed sandals and my son (on vacation) was turned away for wearing (very clean, presentable) shorts. In addition to the room being a dump, there was;
- No fridge
- No coffee pot
- No notice of the breakfast dress requirements except at the entrance to the breakfast location (but more than happy to bring to room for 10 euro)
- No view (back alley)
- No sitting in the lobby in shorts or tennis shoes, even just waiting for a cab! We were asked by the Director himself to leave due to our shorts and tennis shoes
- No hospitality (except Sarah who was the only help)
- Dirty room that had not been painted or maintained
- Sagging old mattresses
- No shower, only a very small narrow tub
- Room not ready at 1400 but of course they will start charging you for every increment you are there past 1100 checkout
- This Hotel probably had it's heyday (and last refurbishment) in the 1950's or 60's and the management/Director is desperately trying to keep it afloat in all the wrong ways... Needless to say, our short vacation was ruined by this Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family