“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #393 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Madison, WI
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Hotel Gramont has a number of characteristics I am starting to recognize in tripadvisor favorites: it is really clean, has excellent service, and offers good value for your money.

Location isn't necessarily all that important in Paris given the quality of public transport, but Hotel Gramont is in a very good location. It is on a quiet street but lots of shopping & cafes are five minutes' walk north and the Louvre/Tuileries are ten minutes south.

I stayed in the "Duplex" room, which has lots of light and a roof deck with a table and chairs. Big, comfortable bed. Neat room. Slept very well.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel offers free Wi-fi, which I LOVE to see in a European hotel. Thanks!

I got the room at a discount but feel that even at full price it is good value for Paris. I would definitely stay at Hotel Gramont Opera again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Gramont, Hotel Manager at Hotel Gramont Opera Paris, responded to this review, 24 April 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review about our hotel especially our Duplex room. I agree with you that it is a very nice room special in summer with the terrasse. Of course we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure welcoming you with us. We try to do the best that our guests feel comfortable with us thank you for letting us know about your stay. We wish you all the best and would be very happy to welcome you back for your next trip to Paris.
Until this day we wish you good luck.
Maxime, Pierre and Arthur - Night Reception

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I have never completed a review on a hotel before and I felt that this hotel was 5 stars all the way.
Hotel Gramont is a superb hotel that is really well placed for the Opera, the Louvre (10 mins walk) and nearby shopping in Boulevard Haussmann. The room we had was lovely and the breakfast was great value.
However what makes the difference here is the staff - they are absoloutely first class. My wife and I were made feel very welcome right from our arrival by Sandra who could not be more helpful. She and Aurelie were extremely friendly made our stay so enjoyable.
Merci beaucoup!
We will return to Paris and stay in this hotel.!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Gramont, Hotel Manager at Hotel Gramont Opera Paris, responded to this review, 16 April 2011
Dear guests,
We would like to thank you very much for your kind and warm review. Of course we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to make you feel comfortable. As we are a small hotel we try to give a special and individual welcome to our guests. It was a great pleasure welcoming you in our hotel and we also would like to thank you for your kindness.
Of course we would be very happy to welcome you back some day in the future.
Until this day we wish you all the best and of course good luck.
Kind regards from Paris
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The Gramont is tucked away on a quiet side street nr The Opera in Paris so next to Galleries Lafayette and just fabulous. Room was a good size by Paris standards, very clean, the staff were brilliant, so friendly, helpful, and the little extras like tea, coffee, and complimentary croissants daily a welcome treat... Location location and small boutique lovely hotel...

• Stayed September 2010
Dear guests,
We would like to thank you very much for taking some minutes to write this lovely review about our hotel. It was all our pleasure having you with us. Of course we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here in Paris. We would be very happy to welcome you back some day in the future for your next trip to Paris.
In the meantime we wish you all the best and good luck in your live.

Kind regards from sunny Paris
Arthur, Maxime and Pierre - Night Reception
Franschhoek
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Crentral to all we wanted to see, mostly within walking distance. The staff were friendly, efficient, and endlessly helpful. The rooms, although small, contained all we wanted, the beds were exeptionally comfortable and the pillows also.(Rare..)
I thought it was exeptional value for money

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Gramont, Hotel Manager at Hotel Gramont Opera Paris, responded to this review, 27 April 2011
Dear guests,
Thank you so much for your kind message about our hotel. It is always very nice to read that our guests spent a wonderful stay here in Paris with us. It was with great pleasure welcoming you with us. We would be very happy to welcome you back some day in the future for your next trip to Paris.
In the meantime we wish you all the best and good luck of course.

Best regards from Paris
Arthur, Maxime and Pierre - Night Reception
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 3 April 2011

It is an excelent hotel, right in the centre of Paris, near almost everything you may want to visit.
I stayed in a room for 3 to 4 guests. It was a very pleasant and clean room, and had two bathrooms (which was very handy!).
Also, the staff was very nice and helpfull.
When I visit Paris again, this hotel will be one of my first choices.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Gramont, Hotel Manager at Hotel Gramont Opera Paris, responded to this review, 9 April 2011
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you very much for your kind review. Of course it would be with great pleasure welcoming you back in our hotel for your next trip to Paris. We are happy to read thay you enjoyed your stay with us. Until next time we wish you all the best and good luck.

Kind regards from sunny Paris
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2011

You get what you pay for - but, sometimes you don’t. I’ve relied on Trip Advisor to find hotel values in many large cities. Every time, the reviews have been accurate and I’ve been happy with the hotel I’ve selected. This time, the Trip Advisor reviews failed me. The Hotel Gramont Opera isn’t bad, it’s just not that good - and it’s certainly not the fine “boutique hotel” that the reviews would have you believe.

Instead, it’s an overpriced three star hotel that, while clean and recently remodeled, has minuscule rooms and only an average location within Paris. I wish I would have used my critical thinking skills to ask how a 25 room hotel in a city of over 2 million people could rank so high.

First the good. It has been mentioned many, many times in these reviews that the staff is accommodating and friendly. This is absolutely true. I interacted with several different people and all of them went above and beyond to make sure I was happy.

As for the location, it’s safe and close to the several restaurants and supermarkets as well as one of the main shopping areas in Paris. There are also several Metro stops nearby, making it convenient to any part of the city.

Finally, the rooms are clean and have newer fixtures and decor. However, the beds are horrible - our “Triple” included two single beds that had been pushed together to form a double bed and a cot that had been labeled as a twin bed in the advertising.

Now the bad. After staying at this hotel for several nights, I can’t understand how it has secured so many overwhelmingly positive reviews. The rooms are so small that there is only room for the beds, which essentially fill the space from one wall to the other, leaving only two feet of clear space to walk.

The bathrooms are clean, with new fixtures; but they are about the size of two telephone booths set side by side, making it difficult to maneuver and very stuffy after a hot shower. The only other furniture that can fit in the room is a small writing desk shoved into the recessed corner with a hard backed, four legged chair.

Thankfully, there was ample storage space in a closet to fit our luggage, as there was no space for it in the room itself. The reviews here laughingly say “it’s Paris and rooms are small.” But, for $250 to $350 per night, this hotel provides no value. Like many other places in Paris, they’re over reaching at these prices. I’d rather pay more for a nicer hotel. At least I’d feel like I got some value for my money.

In addition to the tiny rooms, there is no individual climate control other than the electric heat. Paris is humid during any season, making hotel rooms stuffy and hot. And, while I think that the hotel has climate controlled ventilation, it’s controlled at the front desk and not in the rooms where the only temperature control is for heat. While I was there in March and April the cooling was turned off and it was stuffy and hot in the room. I’d hate to stay here in the summer and have not access to individual climate control.

Fortunately, the windows open allowing you to vent the “fresh” Paris air into your room. Unfortunately, Rue Gramont is quite noisy for all but four hours a night. Leaving the windows open, while a very a very satisfying way to cool the room in March and April, makes sleeping in the room only a step above sleeping on the street with respect to noise. Combined with the uncomfortable beds, this makes sleeping difficult.

In short, the room size, uncomfortable beds, lack of ventilation in the rooms, and noise make staying in this hotel sort of like camping in a tent - satisfying if the price is right, but not very satisfying for $300 a night. Yes, the staff is nice and speaks English. Yes, the rooms are clean. And, yes the location is a 4 out of 5. But, the Hotel Gramont Opera is only average - not horrible, but not worthy of it’s high rating on Trip Advisor.

Did I hate this hotel? No. It was perfectly acceptable and I liked it more than I disliked it. Was it good enough to make me uncomfortable taking a risk on different hotel next time I’m in Paris? No. I think I’ll skip this place next time and look for something else. And, anyone who’s reading these reviews should do the same. You can do better than this hotel for the money.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Patrick313
Dear guests,
We would like to thank you very much for your review because we care about all reviews and try to make better for any remarks we get. We always try to learn from any remarks and try to find a solution how we could increase our service. As many people wrote our location is very central and from here you can walk all over Paris to the most famous atractions. Of course we are just a 3 star hotel and for this category we have the size requested in all our rooms and our bathrooms. We are also one of the first hotels which has allready the new stars and we got them this year so with the size of our rooms is everything correct for a 3 star hotel in France.
I don't know exactly in which room you have stayed but I guess it was not a triple. Because in our triple room we have 3 real beds. For no confusion we put on our web site that some rooms for three people they have an extra bed.
For the AC/Heating I would like to explain you that of course in summer our guests can individuelly change in their room. It is just in spring and in autumn difficult to know when to change from AC to heating because we can put only either or and when some people in the hotel want AC and some people heating we have to decide what is more requested. But you missunderstood something because there is an individual box in every room.
As it is high season of course all parisian hotels are more expensive than in winter. But of course we also have other rates in the middle and low season but in Paris in high season all room rates are going up.
We are sorry that you did not like your stay with us that much because we sincerely try to give the best that we can.
But of course after all everyone has to keep in mind that we are a 3 star hotel, well located with the correct size in the rooms for this kind of category but we are not more than that. But after all we try very much to give a special and personal service to all of our guests and they always know that we will be here to help them no matter what happents they can count on us.
But we thank you for your remark and try to see if we can change something do make a better job.
Andernos-les-Bains, France
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Everything is satisfactory: very clean room, comfortable bed, friendly staff. Central location, but in an area mostly turned over to offices. There is nothing outstanding, however, about this 3* hotel. Due to their incredible success on tripadvisor, this place is seriously overpriced.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear guests,
Thank you very much for taking some minutes to write a review about our hotel. You mentionned that we are central located but just many offices are around us. Well actually we are in the center of Paris and we are just 10 minutes walking distance from the Opera Garnier and the Galeries Lafayette. Our guests love to walk all over Paris from our hotel because it is in the middle of mostly of the attractions. At the moment is high season and so of course in all hotels in Paris the rates are higher than in the low season period. But wez are happy to read that you still enjoyed your stay with us because we try very hard to be here all the time for our guests.