“Chocolate Tour and St. Denis Tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

Book a Tour
Ranked #45 of 513 Tours in Paris
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Context Paris organizes scholar-led "walking seminars" of Paris and excursions beyond. Walks are limited to six participants and held as an in-depth exploration of a given topic: French art, Gothic architecture, cuisine, the French Revolution, etc. The docents who lead the walks are drawn from local universities or are practicing architects, chefs, and other specialists.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Richmond, Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Chocolate Tour and St. Denis Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I took the chocolate tour of left bank chocolatiers with Context in May. There were only 2 of us on the tour with the docent. I learned quite a bit from the docent (who also has published cookbooks) about chocolate while walking to the different chocolatiers in the Saint Germaine area. We had samples at each chocolatier and also had macaron samples at several places. We were given time to make purchases if we wanted to, but I went back later on my own to do this.

The tour lasted over 2 hours and was very enjoyable. It was well worth the price. Context might want to combine the cost of the chocolate tour and the sampling price of the tour as it seems a bit pointless to have it listed as 2 seperate charges.

I was scheduled to go on the St. Denis Tour, but it was cancelled at the last minute because the docent had an emergency on her way to the tour. Context was very apologetic and offerered some other tours the next couple of days, but I already had other plans. Context immediately credited my credit card for the cost of the tour.

The only drawback with Context is that you don't know until about a week before the tour if there are enough participants to have the tour. Context is very accessible through email and phone calls, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Chocolate Tour. I plan on taking other tours with them the next time I visit Paris.

1 Thank Patricia T

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabulous Tours!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family and I recently spent a week in Paris and had two private Context Paris Tours, the Louvre Crash Course and the D-Day, Normandy Beaches. They were both fabulous! Geoffrey was our guide in Normandy and we had a wonderful day with him. His knowledge of not only the D-Day Beaches but the entire region as a whole was great. He helped make it a truly special experience for us. Lorraine was our guide at the Louvre and she was also wonderful. She was incredibly knowledgeable and did a great job of giving us a taste of the enormous collection. She also did a great job of navigating the very, very crowded museum, not an easy feat! The overall experience with Context Travel was wonderful, I would absolutely use them again and in other cities!

3 Thank Hope Elizabeth S
Morristown, New Jersey
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Louvre tour with an art history scholar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a three hour tour arranged by Context tours. What a fabulous experience. We would have not learned and appreciated as much about the Louvre on our own if we were there for a week! Our guide, Sandra Laville was wonderful. She was extremely smart, knowledgeable, personable and quickly understtod what we were interested in. She was able to answer all of our questions and made it an unforgettable experience. And, as she was born and raised in Canada her English was without a foreign accent (which is sometimes hard for me to understand). Worth every penny. Don't do the Louvre without a guide like Sandra!

2 Thank DRELS
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb tour of the Louvre with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our tour guide through Context Travel was a highlight of our trip to Paris. We have an 11 year old and an 8 year old and when asked what their favorite part of the trip was, invariably they speak about our guide at the Louvre. He made it come alive for them and was very sensitive to tailoring it to our needs. We cannot recommend Context more highly. Truly worth every penny and then some!

Visited April 2014
Bellevue, Washington
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Louvre Crash Course: Just what we wanted; Excellent guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Having used Context previously (in Italy) we had high expectations and they were met. The guide of our private tour, Laure-Caroline Semmer, provided a good combination of academic art history with bits of humorous commentary. She was well prepared to lead us through the museum for the short 3 hours we had and adjusted on-the-go as we were strolling through the museum. I would definitely appreciate another tour with Ms. Semmer on our next visit.

Visited April 2014