“Really bad hotel in Paris”

Grand Hotel Voltaire
Ranked #1,662 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
“Really bad hotel in Paris”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I had a reservation and they cancelled the day I arrived. At 8pm they transfer us to another hotel only for one night at the same rate. Very disrespectful people, no manners at all. Never go there, and trust me, for the price you can find something better....I'm totaly in shock..we were treated badly!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jose C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The room that we booked wasn't free when we arrived at 10 pm although several days before to my inquire they answered that waiting for us. We have been sent over to another hotel without any help. The another hotel was ugly and dirty and we had to pay the original price. I wouldn't recommend to anyone this hotel they are unreliable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank feorba

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It is a comfortable place to stay.We stayed 5 days in Paris and this hotel is close to Voltaire train station.We visited all the touristic spots by train and we can say that it really works.The staff is very friendly and helpfull, a special thanks for Yacine and Ibrahim .They helped us to really feel at home in Paris.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Limoges, France
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is 2 minutes walk from Place de Republique. I stayed in the room with a private bathroom for 2 nights. Didn't have breakfast nor try the WiFi, so I can't comment on those. I've stayed in similar hotels in Paris before (within the same price range) so I'd say that I didn't expect to be pampered but I also didn't find anything to complain about. Just about the right size of room (remember, this is Paris). Just about the right price (again, remember, this is Paris). Just about the right convenience that I can expect for the price I've paid. Yes, you probably have to use the stairs. Yes, the room might look tired. But I go to Paris for many different reasons and I stay in different hotel every time, depending on why I need to go to Paris for ... I've stayed in better hotels, and I've stayed in worse hotels. To be fair, this hotel suits my purpose this time.

As a side note: This isn't exactly the most touristique part of the city, which makes it more interesting. Every day there is something going on at Place de Republique and it's a nice place to just sit and watch the locals hang out. Republique (the Metro station,) is also handy to go anywhere because it's a transfer station for various Metro lines. Beside, there are a number of bus stops in Place de Republique whenever I needed to stay away from traveling underground all the time. Lots of options for dining in the area as well. Within short walking distance to Marais and Canal St Martin.

However, if you're looking for the souvenir shops, or wanting to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Montmartre, or lounging in your room watching TV, or admiring the view of the Eiffel tower while having your breakfast, or going back for the second time of the day to the Louvre, or anything like that, here's my advice: Look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SansRegrets
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

If you are planning a vacation in Paris I'm thinking you can afford it. What I wanted in my trip was to feel like I lived in Paris. I wanted to be at home. You can stay in a chain anywhere. You can stay in a top of the line hotel anywhere. If you want to feel like you are a member of a family and that you are just going home for the night The Grand Hotel Voltaire is for you. I didn't come to Paris for the trappings of a Waldorf. I wanted to "move in" and look like I belonged. From Nelson to Ibrahim, the staff was kind and consedrate. The price quoted on the Internet was spot on. I slept like a baby and my daughter said it reminded her of a college dorm. We ate McDonald's ate our table, listened to hip hop, Beyonce and Pharrell, laughed slepted and then walked along the Seine. Did I mention the Voltaire Metro stop was just down the street? This was a great money saver and proved to be a highlight of my stay in Paris.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Erfurt, Germany
Reviewed 14 March 2014

dirty room, bed sheets with holes, door hardly opened, broken bed
A promised bathroom on the floor wasn't even there - just a small toilett which was dirty too.
the view was good but that was it.
Not again - sorry