“Avoid at all costs!”

Marciano Hotel Gare du nord
Ranked #1,682 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 25 August 2008

We arrived at this hotel at 1 am local time after arriving on the Eurostar and we left at 6.30 am. After some confusion, we worked out the name had changed - can't remember what it is now sorry - but the address is still correct.

Good things:
Location - close to Gare Du Nord and L'Est

Bad things:
Noise - it is on a main road and is noisy 24 hours a day = horrific and no sleep.
Heat - no air con or ventiliation - awful.
The staff - luckily I speak a bit of French, English was not well received generally at the desk.
Cleanliness - it wasn't overly clean.

I would say pay a bit more and get a better hotel, it may be cheaper but that is why. We were only there 5 hours, any longer and I think I would have sought alternatives!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 July 2008

I'm french and lived in Paris for 5 years. So it's easy for me to compare this hotel to others.
I called the hotel to negotiate a better deal than you would get when booking online, and got a cheap 60EUR/night deal. For this price, I wasn't expecting much, still I got disappointed a lot.

- The staff is damn unfriendly. And remember I'm french, I had no language problem to speak with them. There was some canadians who had been tricked on the price and paid much more than they expected. When they asked for explanation, the guy of the hotel shouted at them and almost threw them out. Very nice.

- The rooms are dirty. I found pubic hair in the bathroom when arriving. Smoking in rooms is allowed so the room was stinking cigarette. Wallpapers are old, torn and dirty.

- Most of the rooms are on a big boulevard. So there's lots of noise 24h a day. In order to sleep, you'll have to close the window to diminish the noise, thus sweating like a dog at night as it's an old building and isolation sucks (meaning in summer it's damn hot and in winter, it's probably cold in the room even with heating).
So if you're a light sleeper, don't expect to get any sleep there.

- Breakfast is a joke. Really. For the same price, go to a cafe just besides or get some fresh pastries at the bakery 30m away. You'll get much better.

- The area is not nice. Even for french people. This is probably one of the worst arrondissements in Paris. The only good thing is that the train station is at walking distance. But as a tourist, I'd rather go the 9th arrondissement which is not far and much nicer.

As an ex- parisian, my advice is: If you visit Paris as a tourist, pay 20-40EUR more per night and get a nice hotel, it will change your whole experience of Paris. If you don't have the money, stay one day less and use the money for a nicer hotel.
If you need to go to the train station or airport very early (before 6-8am) and you spend only one night in Paris, you could go there but don't pay more than 80EUR or you're being screwed.

The problem of hotels around train stations in Paris is that there are all the people travelling who go to these crappy hotels, never expecting to come back anyway, and there are always fresh waves of people who don't know where to go and choose the nearest hotel. So the owners do not give a damn about the quality.

So choose a better better hotel, this one could ruin your stay in Paris.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank painsek
Reviewed 19 October 2007

We definitely recommend you to visit "Hotel Champagne". It's a marvellous place to relax thanks to the loving attentions of the Argelian receptionist, also known as "Marquis of Sade", a professional massagist always worried about the cleanliness of his hotel and his feminine guests. We had never met a man so kind... even he offers himself to teach you English among other things!!
Don't be scared at night if you hear strange noises, it's just Marquis of Sade having fun!!!
Also you'll meet other two specimens: the Black Wordless Man and the Indian Blood-eyed Vampire, who will offer you his secret desserts...
Beware of the other guests, especially the Japanese ones: they are artists stealing breakfasts!!
PD. Bring your own hairdryer, otherwise you'll have to pay it with your own fleshhhhh

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 July 2007

I booked this hotel over the internet by the price, and for a budget hotel it was just fine. I stayed on the first floor with windows over the inner light well, and although the room was tiny it was clean. There were a few scuff marks on the walls.

The bathroom was relatively new, white tiles, and as per most inexpensive French hotels, it had one of those miniscule showers - Harry Houdini could wiggle in easily, but the average sized person will have challenges. Remember though that many of these older hotels are CENTURIES old, they weren't built 10 or 20 years ago, so they have limited space for each room.

Hotel de Champagne does its best, my single room actually had a double bed, a desk and chair, and a colour tv, for the rate of 51 Euros per night.

A couple of minutes walk to Gare du Nord, a bus terminal, tons of cafes open at all hours, and close to many attractions. A Post Office across the street, bakeries and food places abound.

I can definitely recommend this hotel and the staff to anyone who needs somewhere clean to sleep, who's not looking for a giant room or all 'mod cons'. [PS - no iron or washing facilities, also normal in most older hotels in Paris.]

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Bonjour-in-Paris
Reviewed 4 July 2007

Hotel Nord Du Champagne Paris France

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in mid February, it was part of a package deal from a last minute travel agency in Germany. The lobby was very nice and the staff extremely friendly and helpful, but our room sucked to be blunt. We had room #36 which has to be one of the worst rooms in the hotel.
The room is small, which is fine we were not looking for a big room mostly a place to sleep, where to start after this is hard, well the heater was stuck on a mid temperature and could not be adjusted we told the staff about it several times and the only thing that was done as far as we could tell was the receptionist saying OK, what ever that means ok we’ll fix it or yup we know it’s broke. The toilet was so close to the wall both of us had to sit sideways well partially sideways on it to use it. The carpet was filthy, subway noise, I could go on but I think you get the idea. The breakfast was adequate and I will repeat the staff was great!

The hotel is very near Gare du Nord, about a 5 min walk, and 10 min walk from Montmartre.

To be fair we talked with many people on this trip and in this price range this poor quality seems to be the norm, Paris is expensive. If you stay here avoid rooms 35 and 36 they are too near the entrance. I recommend shopping around a lot or paying quite a bit more for a better place unless all you want is a place to sleep. I have stayed in worse places but they were in the middle of nowhere in Montana and Idaho but they were cheaper and they were just a place to sleep between days of hardcore Fly fishing.

The Doner place next door is EXCELLENT, my favorite in Europe! And the bakery around the corner has great pastries.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2006

We stayed here just one night, after spending a month traveling around France. We chose it because of the locality (Gard du Nord so close) and previous reviews. The room was very small, 2 people could not get into the bathroom at the same time. There was such a large gap under the door to the room, that you could hear everything in the corridoor. The worst thing however, was the shower began to flood. On closer inspection it was because the plug hole was full of hair and dirt, and the water could not escape! This really put me off.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Kimbozz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 April 2006

I would have to disspapoint you - if you are looking for luxury, this is not a place for you. But of you are on a budget, this is a great place. I was there with my girlfriend in Feb. 2004 for a weekend. The location is great - right next to Guar De Nord. The rooms are not big, the shower is quite small but everything is cleaned daily and is in good condition. The heating was OK. Staff is friendly and the receptionist in most cases knows English. The breakfast is basic, but nice. If you want to explore Paris and you are on budget - this place is great.

• Stayed: February 2006