“Lovely small good-value hotel in a v nice non-touristy part of Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel le 31

Hotel le 31
Hotel le 31
Ranked #1,525 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely small good-value hotel in a v nice non-touristy part of Paris”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We had a really lovely stay at this boutique hotel. The lady who owns this is English but has lived in the area for years and so was very helpful in proposing things to do and places to eat close by. We discovered a lovely, new off-the-tourist trail area of Paris and the beautiful Buttes Chaumont park. It was a simple bus ride away from the Eurostar and quick to get to the 'main' tourist attractions. Our room felt very unique and ther were lots of nice touches (like fancy light switches and tiles). It was immaculate if a little small, although perhaps that is to be expected in Paris. We would definitely recommend this as a great value find.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Chesapeake Beach, MD
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Last October my wife and I decided to spend a week in Paris, visiting the sites and doing a little shopping. Because we had such good experiences with Bed & Breakfast housing when we visited the “Chateaux de la Loire”, the south of France, and Monaco, I suggested that we stay in a Bed & Breakfast around the park of “Les Buttes Chaumont”.
Using the recommendation of Mr. Philippe Rochefort’s (the husband of the american writer Harriet Welty Rochefort) web site, I contacted the “Bed & Breakfast, Paris” (www.2binparis.com), and when Ms. Licia offered us the “Paris Pyrenees”, 31 rue Fessart, in the 19th arrondissement, we made the reservation. The description of the “Paris Pyrenees” was ideal, and the pictures were wonderful.
We arrived about 3:30 PM, on Tuesday, October, 26th 2010.  I pushed the ring button but no one responded.  I went to the “31 Bar” next door and asked the about the “Paris Pyrenees”. The bartender told me he had the key to the room I rented and I could use the back door in the bar to get to the room.

The driver, of the Airport Shuttle Service, had left my suitcases in the bar, so I proceeded to the back door with my wife.  The backdoor lead to a dark stair case, my wife and I felt the walls for a light switch, but could not found one.  By the time we got to the first floor a young man came out of nowhere and told us that he was expecting us and that our room was ready, we were not told how to turn on the light from the ground floor.

We entered the room and immediately notice the wallpaper was peeling from several locations, black fungus was growing where the wallpaper was peeling, pieces of the linoleum were missing from the floor and you could see the wooden planks beneath the linoleum, numerous tiles were missing from the shower and black fungus was also growing where the tiles were missing, some other tiles were in the process of peeling off the wall, around the basin sink no shelves existed to place your toiletries, and finally the armoire was so small you could only hang two coats. We set down on the bed, a puff of dust emerged from the bed cover.

We decided we could not stay at the “Paris Pyrenees” and left hunting for another accommodation.  We started to walk around asking passers-by if they knew of a nearby hotel, an elderly lady gave us direction to the nearest “Ibis” hotel.  We walked to the “Ibis” hotel on 12 rue Louis Blanc and rented a room. The “Ibis” hotel is the equivalent of “Motel 6” in the US.

The next day, I contacted the “B&B Paris” and talked to a Ms. Theresa. She asked if I took pictures of the room, I replied my camera was in my luggage and not readily available, she asked why I did not call their office immediately with my cell-phone, I replied my cell-phone did not work in Europe, she said there was nothing she could do for me, and abruptly hung-up the telephone.

On my return to the U.S. I contacted Ms. Theresa once again by e-mail,
I got a e-mail back from a Ms. Fontana, telling me the room met their standard of quality, and because I left without first contacting “B&B Paris”, I would not be given a refund. I was never offer an apology for my trouble, essentially they took my €718.20 ($970) and provided me with nothing.

Do not do business with these people, this is not a french company, it is an italian company operating out of Rome, their Paris address appears to be nothing more than a mail drop. Do not do business directly with Mr. Mahmoud E. Ousaman, the owner of the “Paris Pyrenees”, he markets the “Paris Pyrenees” as a hotel named “Le 31” in another web page and this so called hotel does not possess a single star under the basic french government hotel rating system. This place is a dump, and B&B Paris are nothing but crooks!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Goldie1945

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels