“One Bedroom Loft in the Marais #002”
Review of Special Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Special Apartments
Ranked #33 of 161 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One Bedroom Loft in the Marais #002”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had a great time in Paris (as always) and was very pleased with my accommodations. This was my first time staying in a flat rather than a hotel and the last leg of a three country tour. It was so nice returning after long days (and a few evenings) of sight seeing, shopping and people watching. The apartment was spacious, quiet, clean, and the bed very comfortable. The shower and bathroom were very nice and the location north of the Pompidou was just right for this trip. Easy access to the subway and all of the bustling Marais. I would definitely stay there again. The service is very good, professional, courteous and right on time. I will definitely use this company for my next trip to Paris. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The photos are spot on. This apartment is on the first floor (one flight of stairs up) and looks out...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Attache_001
SpecialApartments, Owner at Special Apartments, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Attache_001,

So sorry not to have replied sooner.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your wonderful review here. I'm delighted that the flat was good for you and that you enjoyed your trip to Paris with us.

Hope we get to have you back soon!

In the meantime,

John, Regis and all the team at Special Apartments Paris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed in 14/36 apartment rue de rivoli,as soon as we arrived from our long flight and with 3 children,we were met by Geraldine,who made us feel so welcome,told us all we need to know about the area,we ordered some shopping for the week which was there and it was a good selection of food,and an easier option travelling as a family.
The apartment was great,perfect location for us,we will definately stay with special apartments again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank CassC779
Dear CassC779,
Thank you so much for posting your review here! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the apartment on Rue de Rivoli and that you felt at home there.
I do hope we get the opportunity to have you back some time soon!

Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 9 January 2013

In November 2012, I tried to link two European business trips together to avoid lengthy air travel, but found it worked only if I parked myself somewhere for 5 days. What to do? What to do? Well, of course, I contacted Special Apartments and secured a one-bedroom for a solo stay in Paris. I booked an apartment in the Marais, completed the necessary paperwork and was all set to base myself there. I was given an upgrade, though, due to delays in the refurbishing of the original apartment, so I found myself on Rue St. Sauveur half a block from Rue Montorgueil in apartment #005. It was beautifully furnished and private. The lighting was great throughout. The bath was designer chic with new appointments and a useful heated towel rack. The apartment was explained well in a handy user's guide, which helped with the foreign washer and dryer. I spent a portion of each day trying to stay ahead of the email flood and had only a couple of issues with internet -- which is good for Paris. I would have preferred a more comfortable chair at the table for long periods of sitting -- I had to buffer myself with a pillow, but in the end all it did was to force me to go out into the city to take a stretch break. The easy access to bars and shops and markets and restaurants was terrific. I would highly recommend Special Apartments if you are seeking a non-hotel stay in Paris.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank miltonsteading
Dear Miltonsteadin,
So sorry not to have replied sooner here and thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the apartment on Rue Saint Sauveur.
Hope to have you back some time soon!
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

My partner, father and I stayed in this apartment for 4 nights in December 2012. We had originally looked at other two bedroom apartments but this was one of the only available at short notice given our budget. Given the remaining apartments, we chose this apartment on the pictures, rather than the location. Given the opportunity again, I would book earlier and get something closer to the Lourve (which is where the original apartment was I was looking at). One word of advice is to definitely print and read the documents provided by the staff, as we were attempting incorrect codes trying to get into the main doorway. It was a little dark and eery in the building hallway, but we made it into the room ok (on a Sunday, we didnt have the staff to greet us as outlined on the website). This being said, the apartment was exactly as described and pictured. It was clean, modern and 'local' - we really felt like we were living in Paris, not just passing through. The bedroom had a lot of cupboard space and lush soft bed, doona and pillows. The only complaint here was that there was a smell of smoke which hung around a bit - possibly from neighbours in the building. The bathroom was fantastic and the towel rack doubled as a good drying line, given there was only a washing machine (not dryer combo). The kitchen was well equipped and the lounge was comfortable to relax in. Even though the lounge was a little cramped as we used the sofa as a second bed, the fireplace was a really nice touch on the apartment, making it more cosy. The staff left us a lovely note and some booklets to keep us going whilst in Paris. We also made good use of the Bose sound system, sometimes to drown out the pounding of the meat at the butcher shop downstairs. I would recommend this apartment for a couple only, as it is a bit cramped for 3 adults. All in all, I would recommend Special Apartments to all types of travellers and would use the company again for my next visit.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Aya D
SpecialApartments, Owner at Special Apartments, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear Aya D,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your trip and the apartment that you stayed in. Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review.
Of course we'd be thrilled to have you stay with us next time you come and it's so nice of you to recommend us,
in the meantime,
Warm regards and many wonders for the New year!

Grafton, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Our apartment in the Marais was #39 rented from you was well located, very close to 2 metro stations and a comfortable walk to les Vosges, Notre Dame and Rue Montorgueils. The locality has good cafes, supermarkets and the inimitable Marche des Enfants Rouge [in Rue Bretagne] where one can buy ready cooked food, wine by the glass or bottle, find a place to sit and eat or take it round the corner to the apartment. The fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and fish, not to mention the cheeses, makes it easy for one to use the kitchen in the apartment to cook for oneself, as we did on a couple of evenings. I liked the cafetiere which was supplied so we could make ourselves good coffee! The apartment lacked only one thing, which might not bother others, the lighting was not bright enough for us to read comfortably either at the kitchen table or in the living area. It was OK in bed using the bedside lamps. We made do. It hardly seemed worth noting but there may be other readers rather than TV watchers/computer users among your future guests. I note that the management is taking steps to improve the lighting.
You can certainly count on us to stay in that apartment again!

Room Tip: Look for close to metro and free wi-fi. Off main streets to get less noise at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dav1d_N
Dear David_N,
Thank you for your review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the apartment in the Rue de Bretagne area of the Marais. Thank you so much for pointing out the low lighting in the living room for reading. I've had the lightbulbs replaced with stronger ones, so it should be better now.
Of course we'd be delighted to have you back next time you come,

In the meantime..

Warm regards and a wonderful New Year!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The husband and I loved our stay at Special Apartments #011, located at 21 Rue de Gravilliers (Marais) from in mid-October for 5 nights. It was a cozy and charming apartment, and within our budget (Paris is very expensive!).

I was a little hesitant with booking non-hotel accommodation in Paris, reading about the shocking stories of inadequate living conditions of some places, illegal rentals, accommodations that did not even exist, etc. This was the exact opposite for Special Apartments.

Prior to booking, we inquired about multiple dates and length of stays, and the whole team at Special Apartments was so patient and thorough with answering my questions. They were always prompt in returning my messages, which gave me confidence in booking with them.

Upon booking, I paid my 50% deposit by credit card, which went through with no problems. At the one month mark before my arrival, the additional 50% was withdrawn, and I received an additional email to inform me of the payment going through. Additional information was provided about the area around the apartment, as well as arrival instructions. This was a multi-page booklet, which gave the traveller a good idea of what to expect.

Our flight into CDG was slightly early, so when we called the office phone number (as instructed), it was not open yet. Undeterred, we took a taxi from CDG to their office and hoped for the best.

I arrived and knocked on their office door, located at 51 Rue de Turbigo. Wow. The office was gorgeous; French doors (of course!) opened up to a view of the roundabout of the street at the Arts et Metier station. There was a simple desk in the middle of the room with multiple workstations, where John and Regis were working steadily away, with neutral walls which were wainscotted with detail. Plaster mouldings, contemporary furniture, and an elegant chandelier could be seen in a room off to the side. I was impressed. I wish I could have stayed in that suite!

Although we were early and the cleaning lady was still there, John was kind enough to let us check-in early, which was very much appreciated after a night flight. Sean walked with us the two blocks to the apartment, chatting along the way. He told us of his favourite mom-and-pop bakery (on Montmorency), which became our go-to breakfast place during our stay. We waited downstairs while Sean went to do the final check/set-up on the apartment.

The apartment is exactly as it appear on the website. We appreciated the small fridge and microwave, which allowed us to munch on our delicious leftover meals and keep chilled our drinks from the local supermarket. The phone to call home was an added bonus. Although small, the bathroom was fine for two people. The only thing we added to the apartment was a large umbrella, as we really needed it during our stay (and that's saying a lot because we're from a rainy city!). Not a big deal, but we found the Wi-fi and TV to be spotty when both of us were using the Internet and the data requirements were high.

Security was top-notch at the apartment. There is a buzzer code to get into the building, then another key to get through the gate, and then 3 locks on the entrance door. We always felt safe, and felt our belongings were secure as well.

The apartment is located in a retail area, so stores are open during the day (with the exception of the afternoon closure). That said, we thought it would be quiet at night. However, there was often infrequent nighttime foot traffic of locals/students, and we would hear the high heels of passerbys or even conversations at wee hours of the night. Furthermore, the apartment is situated above the entrance of the building, so if the door/gate was slammed, you could hear it as well. If you are a light sleeper and need complete silence, this apartment may not be right for you. For us, it was fine, as we were super tired at the end of our days!

John Armstrong and Regis Maurin run a tight ship at Special Apartments in Paris, and I would not hesitate to recommend them to any of my friends and family. I will certainly be booking with them again.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more details/information. Cheers!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ginacasa
Dear Ginacasa,

Thank you so much for writing such a glowing and detailed review. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay in Paris and that the apartment contributed in some way to your experience. Thank you also very much for leaving the umbrella; I'm sure it will be useful for future guests!

If you ever come back to Paris, I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back,

Warm regards and Happy New year!

Scotland
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in apartment #039 in the Marais. The apartment was very comfortable and was very well equipped with everything we could possibly need. It was very quiet yet only a couple of minutes walk from the Rue de Bretagne which had every type of shop one might want for self catering.

The only time we had to contact the office was when the electricity failed one morning as we were going out for the day. This was fixed for our return.

We would not hesitate to use Special Apartments again and are only sorry that we have not done so previously.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IshbelScotland
Dear Ishbel Scotland,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the apartment and that we managed to fix the electrical problem rapidly.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your next trip to Paris!

Warm regards and best wishes for the New Year!