“First trip to Paris, and hopefully not the last!”
Review of BLC Design Hotel

BLC Design Hotel
Ranked #697 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here when we went to Paris last week. It's the first time either of us have been, and we chose this hotel at random, because we wanted to be based in a cheaper area of Paris. The hotel was lovely, very modern and bijoux. The people on the front desk were helpful, especially when my limited GCSE French didn't help me with what they said on check in! The room we had was the second room, as the first one smelled strongly of smoke, even though it is a non-smoking hotel. We asked to change, and the next room was much better. Smoke-free, a lovely kingsize bed, and a little balcony. The only other negative was when we asked for breakfast to be brought to our room, instead of going down, we found that the portions were a bit small. Three pieces of baguette between two people, only one pain au chocolat rather than two. Small things, but it just meant we tended to buy breakfast out, as we were in control of the portions. Overall though, I would definitely recommend it, and would go back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
BLCDESIGNHOTEL, Réception at BLC Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you choose our hotel for your first time in Paris. It’s true that we are in a good area, near to the station Charonne which go in the centre of the city.

Our hotel is strictly non-smoking and we do our best to ensure all clients respect the rules … We are glad to see that you liked the second room.

For the breakfast, you have more choices if you take it in the breakfast room: you can find tomatoes, cheese, pastries, ham …

We invite you to take a look on our website if you want to book again in our hotel for your second stay in Paris.

Best Regards
The BLC Design Team

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I've made a booking for few nights in this hotel and it was a huge mistake!!!

I have used website called "easy to book" where BLC had an amazing, non refundable deal for deluxe design room (one of the most expensive in offer). The pictures shown where incredible. Two days after the booking, somehow more than £70 where gone from my bank account. I contacted my Bank who couldn't even retrieve the charges on my card. I thought it must be the hotel who charged me for the first night or something. However one night before travelled, I contacted the hotel to check if I will have to pay on check in time or they had already charged my card as it was non refundable deal. The guy who I spoke with said "Sir you've paid already" To make sure, I double asked him again "So everything is fine and I don't have to pay nothing else right?" He confirmed "Yes Sir everything has been paid already"
However when I arrived during my check in I've been informed that I still have to pay full amount as no one charge my card!!! All what was on my mind is what the hell is going on? The receptionist was not even able to answers simple questions!

The end of the day I had to pay full amount by cash even more than what was on the confirmation. Probably you would like to ask why? Me to! The answer the receptionist gave me was " this is for some taxes but I don't know hmm maybe easy to book charge some commission or something..." Cool! That is no the end!
Once I have paid for all, lady from reception just picked up the phone to speak to someone and then she waved her hand to where the lift it ,to indicate I can go my room which I checked on the swipe key and realised which floor it was. What an amazing customer service!

I went to my "design room" which was actually a simple box room. There was wardrobe at the bottom of the bed! Shower inside the room!!! And a toilet so small it was impossible to turn around! Wow! Great design including some pictures with dirty hair that looks like worms hanging on top of the bed!

In the evening I tried to watch TV. But...TV was completely broken! Even though when I was booking the room I requested a room with English Channel TV. Obviously, with a blank TV screen my special request was not even taken into consideration.
I ignored all this and I was about to phone reception to order food but again there was no number to call reception in the room so i had to walk to reception. Once I got to reception, I raised my concerns about the situation and I was informed they will upgrade me to a new room from tomorrow. On the next day I went to reception once again and the lady informed me that she doesn't know anything about it, that her colleague from night shift did not hand over anything to her. So she CAN NOT do nothing about it. On top of that another guest had the same problem with payment when checking in, just like me!
At the end of the day I end up in some room at the ground floor right next to reception where there was TV but no remote control and no English channels. I decided to stay there only because bathroom was separate as it supposed to be.

In the evening, I was coming back to the hotel and just when I entered, a BLACK RECEPTIONIST who CALL HIM SELF GIBI or something like that started screaming and saying "excuse me!!! you have to leave always your key at reception when you leaving the hotel". He said "as you didn't leave the key the cleaning service was not done in your room." I said sorry but no one told me to leave the key I thought this is 3 star hotel?! Then he said "THIS IS NOT NORMAL" Oh really? My man learn a bit of culture as you don't even know how to speak with the customer!
In all that I felt like someone is doing me a favour to stay in their hotel. All this comments, incidents and services is just not acceptable. These people really spoiled my time. I was wondering if could speak with manager but they said that the owner don't speak English and manager is not there at the moment. So who the hell is in charge in this place. Is this the way how you run hotel? I just couldn't believe in all that was going on.

MY ADVICE: Rather pay a bit more and stay in better hotel or pay less and have the same standard and service in budget hotel which you can always call it design room!!AVOID THIS BIN! Not worth your money!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Nabuhodonozor

Dear guest,

In fact, this is our mistake, we should have debit your credit card directly without asking a pre authorization as per rate selected.

Since your last stay, we have settle in all rooms welcome booklet displaying our services, TV channel, Night Cove and safety box use.

We still recommend to leave the key at the front desk for security reason and avoid loss or demagnetization but you are totally agree , it should have asked in a polite and proper way .

We are sorry for inconveniences caused and wish you a good continuation.

The BLC Design Hotel Team

Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stayed at the BLC Design recently, this was the second time I have stayed here, this time I visited with my daughter, who is 16.

I do recommend this hotel. It is clean, comfortable, friendly and excellently located in a very safe neighbourhood with several good bars and restaurants immediately at hand.

The deal I had booked (via Eurostar) was inclusive of breakfast, and if breakfast comes as part of your package then it is very worth having. I wouldn't pay 15 euros for it though.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ian P

Dear Ian ,

We would like to thank you for your loyalty. It’s still a pleasure to welcome you in our hotel .We hope to see you soon for your third stay in Paris!

Don’t hesitate to contact us or look our website to have our best price available.

The BLC Design Hotel.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great Hotel, Interior "all white", which requires an extreme level of cleanness that is in fact present. Rooms are very small - as usual in Paris - but interior design is done in a superclever way so that even shower cabin and toilet fit well into the small room.

Reception clerks spoke VERY good english and were super helpful especially when we expected a delivery that did not arrive in time.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, also at the very very tiny breakfast room, but with good quality food. Really very different from the usually sticky and disgusting stuff even expensive hotels serve their breakfast guests, BLC offers cloudy bio apple juice and tasty orange juice that was dispensed by the drinks automat.

We were allowed early check-in at 10h in the morning instead 2h in the afternoon, very nice after a flight departing at 6 in the morning to be able to go to bed immediately. Good service for the tired guest!

I will book this hotel again when going to Paris next time!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Roberto K ,

It was a pleasure for us to welcome you. You were a very nice customer and we would like to thank you for that.

We know that it can be difficult for foreign to cope with the French administration and we are happy to help you as much as possible.

In your case, our hotel were not full the night before you arrival that why we gave you the room before 2pm .

We hope to see soon at the BLC Design Hotel and if you want to book again don’t hesitate to contact us.

The BLC Design Hotel

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel is located very close to the Charon Metro Station and line 9 that can take you to many sites in central Paris. The Bastille area is within walking distance (about 15 minutes).

The rooms are very small but have all the essential things you expect including safety deposit box and are very well cleaned.

When we arrived the hotel staff mixed us up with some other guest and gave us the wrong room so later a woman arrived and entered our room that she also had been assigned. It was all sorted out and the woman given another room. After that we had no further incidents with the room/reservation.

There are a few things that can be improve with the rooms though. The shower, that is only separated from the room with a plastic curtain, could be better designed - the curtain is not in one piece but rather divided in two that must be closed perfectly in the corner to avoid water to splash out on the floor. The wast basket has no plastic bag in it - something that is unhygienic both for guests and cleaning staff. Finally the TV could have more non French channels (for instance CNN and a film channel or two).

We where happy we did not pay for having breakfast at the hotel since it looked small and unspectacular considering the price. There are many better alternatives on nearby cafes.

All in all a good hotel and reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: Pick a room a few floors up to avoid street noise.
1  Thank MagnusTheTraveler
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Myself and my wife stayed for 5 nights and returning to the uk today thought I should share our wonderful experience. Having read some of the previous mixed reviews wasn't sure what to expect but the hotel was lovely and a great place to celebrate my wife's 30th birthday, we were even upgraded to a deluxe room which was a very nice touch and definitely appreciated. It is a 5 minute walk to the nearest metro station and a nice 15 minute walk to the Bastille. The staff on reception were very helpful, even booking us a taxi back to garde nord with no trouble at all. The breakfast was good with a nice deletion of pastry, meats and cheese. Rooms were lovely and the whole white decor makes the whole place look clean and tidy. We would definitely return to this hotel on our next visit to Paris

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are bigger and I would definitely recommend upgrading if staying for more...
1  Thank PaulWhitbread
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I rarely write a review on trip advisor but I felt like this hotel deserved a review. This was my first time staying in Paris and I wanted to make sure that it was going to be a comfortable stay but also convenient for us to travel. I wasn't expecting too much to be honest as there was mix reviews here, however, I really found this hotel to be worth every penny spent. It was clean, GREAT service by the reception who were always willing to help, friendly, the deco was lovely and the location was spot on. It's next to the metro and there's restaurants/cafes everywhere. I would highly recommend this accommodation to anyone who are aiming to stay for a short break. Thank you BLC Design Hotel and I'm sure I'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family