“Great Location”
Review of Villa Romantic

Villa Romantic
Ranked #1,594 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The hotel is ideally located in a quiet environment. Metro station is very close. Staff are cordial and welcoming. I have stayed here a couple of times and it is a good hotel.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alok A

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have been there many times. It is a simple hotel but clean and it is run by a family. The neighborhood is pretty good. No facilities but a nice cost/benefit.
Mr Antunes

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Alzir Felippe B
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have used the Hotel Rubens Paris for a short break on and off for 25 years! Staying there first as a poor student it was very inexpensive. Now 25 years later, despite having developed a taste for 4 or 5 star hotels!...I usually return to the 1 star Rubens. I am always pleased that I have somewhere nice to stay in Paris but am not spending too much hard earned money doing so!

I suppose when I am in Paris I prefer to see the city and I am not so bothered about the luxury of the Hotel. Hotel Rubens is a one star, so it is not luxurious, and does not have a large breakfast buffet area or a bar. Although breakfast is available there, I often take breakfast at the Canon Des Gobelins Cafe opposite the Gobelins Metro staion 2 mins away.

The hotel is is a very good as a base for exploring Paris. You get a clean room, good shower, clean sheets, good reading lights and fresh towels. I just come back from a 2 night stay there and only spent 86 euros a night for a large 3 person room with ensuite.

A big plus of the hotel is that it is central and located in a very pleasant area. The hotel is in a quiet side street about 2 minutes from the Gobelins Metro Station. The Avenue Des Gobelins has loads of cafes and restaurants, small supermarkets, and has a less touristy feel than many areas. One of my favourite walks from the hotel is to stroll down the Avenue des Gobelins and then up the hill of the Rue du Mouffetard with its smells of fish, fruit, rotisserie chicken, crepes, and pattiserie shops which line the cobbled stone path which eventually leads you to the river Seine and Notre Dame. It takes about 25 minutes to do this walk but I would highly reccommend it.

In summary don't stay here if it is luxury you seek. Do stay here if you are on a budget, want a safe and very pleasant neighbourhood, want a clean functional room, want to be near the Metro, in a quiet street, and save your money for the rest of your trip in Paris.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BILLYDEREK
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I Stayed here for 4 nights with my husband to visit Paris and I could´t ask for more, nice simple room, an ok bed, good private bathroom with hot water (not all the rooms have a private bathroom) in a quiet area, silence all night! Subway just aroun the corner! 24h reception. Breakfast was not included, but I didn´t need it anyway... nice surroundings... nice shops and bakeries.
For the prices in Paris in all the hotels around, I had a great deal, better to book in advance. People at the reception didn´t speak good english, night manager was not nice at all!... If you need to connect a lot with the reception in any ither language than french, maybe you have a problem... If I go to Paris again I will probably will contact this Hotel again...but I would check other hotels too...

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room in the back with private bath
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelmom2006
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Whe stay in Hotel Rubens and they charged us for a triple room but whe where only two gests. When we complain that they simply do NOTHING !!!

After we arrive home whe call the manager and the women in charge simply do NOTHING again, soo i consider hotel Rubens a hotel that stollen their gests. AVOID IT !!!

The elevator also is a joke, the bathroom is dirty, the matress is old and smells cigarette.
The attendens in the reception (two immigrants) also are everyday angry and with a terrible bad humor !!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarceloPOA
Reviewed 26 April 2010

If you don't mind to stay in a basic hotel that isn't brand new and could spare the extra dime, then Hotel Rubens might be just it for you. We had a not too tiny 4-person room on the 4th floor with bathroom. Both were clean and in an okay shape. The water was warm and stayed warm, which is not always the case when you're a group of four.
The hotel is located in a decent neighbourhood, within walking distance of the Panthéon and the Seine. There are all kinds of restaurants and bars in the area and.
One more thing: don't take the elevator. It's claustrophobic and old. One night, when we got back, someone was stuck in the thing.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank MikeV84
Reviewed 23 October 2009

My wife and I have visited Paris many many times and ususally stay in this hotel. Our view is that we dont go to Paris to sit in the hotel, we basically just sleep there, so we'd rather spend our money on having fun than on a hotel with a massive marble lobby and loads of lackies running around.
So, the hotel is down a side street and feels very "real". When you walk out of the doors and turn left down onto Avenue des Gobelins, you see real people going about their business. If you look to your right, you can see the patheon, about a mile or so away up on the hill, (great walk up through rue moufflet - on saturday morning there is wonderful food, veggies cheese fish etc for sale outside the shops on on a small market - brilliant.
Hotel does breakfast but I think its pretty basic, so turn left out of hotel, left again at avenue gobelins, and about 100m down on your left is a cafe. Cracking, not touristy, just proper french street cafe. Not cheap, but good experience and its a great way to get the day going. You can eat the same croissants etc if you stop at the bakery just before you get to the hotel, but you'll have to find somewhere to sit to eat them (we've ordered breakfast quite late in the cafe and seen the waiter leg it down the road to the bakers to buy our criosaants! At least we knew they were fresh!
The hotel itself is very very basic. The public areas are small and functional, I have the feeling they prefer cash to cards, the stairwells are dark and utilitarian, and only the use the lift for your suitcases. Apart from being a tiny lift, you really get the feeling you might end up stuck, or sitting in a pile of debris in the basment! (joke - but it is quite rickety).
The rooms are furnished with what appears to be second hand furniture (not antique, just functional 2nd hand stuff - some of it may have some "shabby chic" attraction, but actually if it does then that is accidental. Beds are a bit bouncy or saggy, depending upon your luck, but I've always slept well in them.
The en-suite bathrooms are a decent size, often with a big old fashioned bath and basin, sometimes with a separate shower (otherwise there is shower attachment in the bath). It feel like something straight out of a 60's black and white movie set in paris (but by accident rather than design).
I'm, not trying to put you off ... like I said we have stayed there loads of times because its cheap and well situated, but it aint luxurious.
If I'm honest I feel kind of affectionate toward the place, because of the great times we've had when staying there, so I probably don't see how basic it really is.
There used to be an excellent pub (la pompe du biere) on the opposite side of avenue gobelins, run by 3 brothers, who dont speak much english, but are a good laugh. There are quite a few italian restaurants around and even an indian. What we do is usually do the sightseeing stuff during the day then just hang out locally at night. Mind you its walking distance up to the parthenon, where there are some pretty funky studenty bars and places.
Anyway, I hope that helps. I hope I've been fair in this review. I mean nothing to sound negative, because, as I've said, this is a great way to stay in Paris on a budget, but if you want your bed turned down for you at night, and little chocolate on your pillow, dont stay here!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple