“Third Stay & still love this hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame

Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame
Ranked #389 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
San Francisco, California
“Third Stay & still love this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Another excellent stay, which included upgrade to Executive room with balcony facing the Eiffel Tower! I keep coming back to this hotel in the 5th for several reasons but it's not 1 single factor but rather the combined elements that make this one of my favorite Paris hotels: front desk staff are always friendly & helpful; great 5th district location, with main metro & RER stations; rooftop deck with one of the best views overlooking Paris; large, personal balconies on top floors; very comfortable beds & mostly good sized rooms & bathrooms. Normally, pink, red, black & purple would not be my #1 choice in hall & room colors but honestly, it works here. Overall it is more like a small boutique hotel than your traditional Holiday Inn that makes this a winner in my book. Plus, if you are member of IHG Priority Rewards you will be treated very well, WIFI is free & if staying on points, a very good choice.

Room Tip: 6th floor & up have balconies!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelsavant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fargo ND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I will preface this by saying we stayed here a year ago and were very pleased so reserved for a second visit. The room, amenities and staff were great but that is where it ended. There is a charming lounge/bar area off the lobby and a nice patio area off the lounge. However, during our entire 2 day stay there was NEVER anyone staffing this area. You had to go to the front desk to ask for service and they in turn would page someone to come and assist you. . We returned from dinner the first night and requested service in the lounge. Ordered 2 glasses of white wine. The bartender put out 2 champagne flutes. We objected and he told us they were the only glasses he had. Finally gave us 2 red wine balloon glasses after our objections. I then went to the front desk to request some regular coffee granules for our room as we only had decaf. They only had decaf available but assured me they would request the maid to restock in the morning. The following morning I went down to the breakfast room and requested 2 coffees to take to my room only to be told they didn't do that and I would have to go go the lounge area which of course was not staffed. The following evening after a long day of touring I again requested service in the lounge ordering 2 white wines to take to our room. Same scenario - only champagne flutes available. I was directed to the rooftop bar where they could accommodate me. Ordered at the rooftop bar only to be met with the same situation. The bartender finally relented and served in glasses that were in fact white wine glasses but I was told he was keeping those to use for red wine! This is France for heaven's sake and you don't have proper wine glasses??? After returning from dinner that evening I again stopped at the desk to request regular coffee as it had not been delivered as promised only to be told there was no regular coffee in the entire hotel. Again, the hotel staff was very kind and as helpful as they were able to be but their hands were tied in most instances. I actually felt sorry for them having to deal with the excuses. Without question this is an attention to detail issue on the part of management. My family of 10 were here for 2 nights (5 rooms) and the hotel would have done quite well had service been provided and we had not had to head down the street to the local cafes/bristros for service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear GH705,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am happy to know that you liked our amenities and room accommodation. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We regret the issues you encountered with our hotel staffs. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review the procedures we have in place and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience the same scenario in the future.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Charisse V
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having finally arriving at the hotel, I was looking forward to our room with a view as in January we had booked and paid for a balcony with Eiffel Tower view. It seems to be a little ploy that the hotel has. You book months in advance and when you get there, there is a problem with the booking and the room with a view is not available! Okay it was only for one night but we had a trip booked for the following day and we would have to repack our suitcases before we went and leave our clothes getting even more creased. We were fobbed off with an 'Executive' room, which was a little bit of a joke as the extras were a small sofa tucked in the corner of the small room and the use of dressing gowns and slippers. Not very useful considering how warm it was. The thing I was most intrigued about was the window from the main room into the bathroom! What exactly was the purpose of that. Luckily there was a blind as I prefer to use the loo in private. We did get our room with a view on the second night and enjoyed it for a while, until the rain started and our third and final night was a total washout. I know the weather wasn't the hotels fault but it was a shame to lose out on the beautiful weather on our first night by not having the balcony we had booked. Oh, I forgot to mention, we also had one free breakfast thrown in, we don't usually bother but made a special effort for that!!! The other let down was the terrace bar. I'm sure it would have been lovely had it been open! It didn't open again until 3pm on our final day, when of course it poured with rain, so closed again. We went up there just to see what we had missed and I'm sure it would have been a great place for a cocktail on our first balmy evening. We will never know now as we will not be returning! The rooms are the smallest I have ever come across (even smaller than New York!) and you have to have an agreement about who can move in what direction to get around each other. The first night we thought we would eat in the hotel. Sadly staff were very thin on the ground and one poor chap was running around trying to sort out food and in between, trying to serve drinks. I think he may even have been the chef with the amount of time it took for him to collect the meals. We do have one little tip for you though. Pop down the road a little and you will find some great bars/restaurants. If you go into Xavier Kepa's bar, Say hello from us. Xavier, his wife and staff will definitely look after you. Nothing is that central in Paris , it is quite a distance between Notre Dam and the Eiffel Tower. And take plenty of money, Paris is very, very expensive

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JasiaandDave
Dear JasiaandDave,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. However, I am sorry if the room accommodation and level of customer service received at the hotel was unsatisfactory.This feedback will be shared with the management that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards,

Charisse V.
Manly NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

There are some positives with this hotel once you get past the disappointment of hotel not living up to the four star label. Our first problem was with check in on a Saturday afternoon. We were confronted with an abrasive desk clerk. I had requested a room with an Effel view or balcony plus the special hyper allergenic bedding . This had been requested months in advance by both email and phone call. No view, no balcony and firmly told we only have feathers so are you checking in. As if we had any choice at that point. Fortunately the room had the required bedding but also a shower that leaked badly. After the weekend a new check Diane had the shower fixed. She was the capable standard we had come to expect as long term priority club members. Other positives were the location right in the left bank and easy walking to many attractions and restaurants. The metro was steps away as was a small convenience store useful for water and snacks if you want to avoid inflated hotel prices. The bed was good in the executive king to we had. The rooftop bar had great view but during the day little protection from the sun. The room well serviced. The negatives were the desk clerk at check in. The hotel staff in uniform who crowded around the front door smoking. Poor image for a non smoking hotel. The decor is tired and the purple and black colour scheme jarring. The rooms lack drawers or adequate cupboard space. You could only hang about six items. This was inconvenient for people staying a week. The bathrooms lacked shelf space so two people struggled to house shaving gear and other bathroom items. I think I would look at other options for my next visit.

Room Tip: A king executive if you need some sleep comfort for two.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear SusanManlyNSW,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for being a member of our IHG Rewards Club program. It our pleasure that you have chosen our location for your recent travel.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced, especially with the level of service provided by our hotel staff and with some amenities in the room. I have noted all your comments and rest assured that they are taken into serious consideration towards improving on our services.

Faith R
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Room with Eiffel Tower view and balcony which was nice, but room small and first day shower flooded room, second day toilet blocked.

Fixed after advise front desk.

Good location for trains, restaurants, bars and tourist walks.

Expensive, typical of Paris

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sonny1965
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Paris - Notre Dame, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Sonny1965,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that our location and room worked for you. I understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the bathroom condition, however I am glad to know that our staff was able to attend to this concern. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
METAIRIE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel has a good location, beds were the best we sleep in for the whole trip to Europe, the rooms are a little small but we had a great view of the Effiel tower. The breakfast buffet was very good. The staff was friendly and very helpfull.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TODD D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

If you're looking for a hotel in the heart of Paris this is where you need to be. My fiance and I took a small vacation and stayed here for 4 nights. It's within walking distance to plenty of restaurants, bars, and the cheesy little gift shops. But, best of all you are right down the street from the metro stations. A quick hop and you're anywhere from CDG to Versailles. Perfect location to see all of Paris.

The rooms are small like much of Paris so be prepared to be close to you're travel partner, but having stayed in half a dozen hotels in Paris this is the norm. Besides, you're in Paris...you should only be there to sleep! Breakfast was pretty good, but we only ate there one morning. With everything so close we didn't want to eat in the hotel and rather sit on the street and grab a meal for roughly the same price. The hotel, rooms, and grounds are all very nice. We upgraded to the tower view with the balcony, but honestly you can see across Paris from the roof top bar for free. If I had to do it again I don't think I would have picked this option and saved the extra money for something else. But no complaints at all...we had a great time. There was a slight hiccup at check in but they quickly resolved it and offered free drinks at the bar while they fixed it. We didn't even have time to finish them before everything was squared away. The next go around this is where I'll stay again!

Room Tip: If you want to splurge upgrade to the tower view, but personally I don't think it's worth it...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple