“WOW! Excellent hotel - WILL stay here again!”

Hotel Design Secret de Paris
Ranked #28 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This small hotel is probably one of the best decisions that we made in Paris!

Located halfway between 2 different subway metro stations (2 different lines too!) so getting around was easy. It’s also located about a 15-20 minute walk to Opera area where the shuttle from CDG airport drops you off (10 euro per person, way cheaper than a taxi). Saint Lazarre train station is only 10 minute walk as well. Great since that’s a central metro hub, with many lines connecting, or if you do a day trip out of Paris (we went to Normandy), its very close.
We stayed 6 days, and we changed rooms 4 times, because they have different “themed” rooms with different amenities to try. There is NO CHARGE to change rooms so take advantage! Very very cool! The Orsay themed room was our favorite, with a pop up TV, at end of bed! All rooms have LED mood lighting, 42” lcd tvs, modern fixtures, great 2 person bubble jet tubs in rooms! Extremely clean

Hotel has a sauna and a steam-room as well in basement with a workout gym. They provide bathrobes and slippers in every room for this purpose. We didn’t use the exercise equipment, but tried the rest. Very very nice. Internet connection is good, never went down while we were there, and plenty fast enough for emails for facebook photo uploads.
Front desk is helpful. That’s an understatement. They booked dinner reservations, gave us a US plug adapter, band-aid for my wife…. Really amazing. Perfect English. Actually they speak 7 or 8 different languages!

Location: we walked a lot on our trip, and this was relatively close to Sacred Heart, Moulin Rouge, and the Opera. Area was nice, not too busy, and not too touristy. Many local shops and bakery/delis around to get some snacks.

Breakfast was excellent. Starts at 7am for you early risers, and goes until 10:30 for those that sleep late like we always did! They cook eggs and omelets to order, as well as having fresh bakery goods, yogurt, deli meats, salmon, fruits, etc. Great fresh squeezed juices as well. Not an “American Denny’s” breakfast buffet, but we loved it.

Book this place. With only 25 or 30 rooms, you really get private attention if you need it, but its not like an old mom and pop place. This is a top-notch, first class place. First floor reception area is large and open. Recently built, modern, and super clean. I cannot recommend this place any more highly. 5 stars!

Room Tip: Switch rooms daily! Cool experience!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray V
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Ray, I am very flattered that you consider our small Secret^^as one of your best decision while being in Paris! Also happy to see that you had the courage of packing your bags quite often to change room and enjoy the different decors. Front desk is and always will be delighted to help out the best way they know how, be assured I passed on your kind words to them. I hope to welcome you again, you'll have to tell me more about this "American Denny's" next time:). Kind regards, Caroline Canny

Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Fantastic hotel! We stayed here for 3 nights in January 2014 and loved it. It's in a great location, a few minutes walk from leige metro station, from where you can reach the main Paris attractions really easily, and a few minutes walk from the Moulin rouge. Our room, the trocadero, was gorgeous. There were lots of special features including different light settings and a wonderful Jacuzzi bath, perfect for easing those aching muscles after lots of walking! There's a free safe, robes, slippers, hairdryer and toiletries included. The rooms are sound proofed so we both sleptvery well with no noise. The breakfast at the hotel is well worth the 15 euros, it was delicious, with a full continental range, plus eggs however you want them, a choice of fresh juices and tasty pastries. The staff at the hotel were so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much bother. They helped us navigate our way around Paris and even booked restaurants for us. We were blown away with the exceptional service we received. I really highly recommend this hotel, and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MKeddie, after such a magnificent comment, there isn't much left for me to say except that I am very grateful for your kind words about the hotel & service you received. It looks like you may not have had the time to enjoy our Secret Garden with its Steam room & Sauna open 24hrs. I hope you will be able to come back to try it :). With kind regards, Caroline Canny

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Highs
Beautiful Decor
Very quit rooms from street except the Atelier d'artiste room.
Wonderful reception staff. They were incredibly nice, helpful and spoke English very well.
Had high end features.The programmable lighting in the rooms were awesome!
Lows
Really tiny rooms for price and location..exception was the Atelier d'artiste room,
The cleanliness was not great...I am a clean freak though. We had the Discovery package and changed rooms three times during a week stay. First room (Moulin Rouge) was clean but had slight mold in shower. Second room (atelier d'artiste) had a lot of mold in the bathroom tiles. Third room (Opera Garnier) which was the worst, had a lot of mold in bathroom as well as stained sheets with hairs in the covers as well as the towels. Also, when I took a shower I discovered there were not any bathroom towels.
Overall very nice hotel minus the small issues.
Room tip
Atelier d'artiste has pitched ceilings and not great for tall people...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank purpleladyslippers8

Dear purpleladyslippers8 (hope I got that right!), I am very grateful that you took the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. Also, I was delighted to read that you found the team so nice and helpful! I passed on your compliments to them. Following your remarks about the cleanliness, I personally went to inspect the rooms you stayed in and I must say that I was unable to find any trace of mold in the Atelier and the Moulin Rouge. I must apologize about the Opera as I found some, be assured that it was instantly cleaned and the housekeeping team was informed. Should you have informed us during your stay, we would have been delighted to wash it off immediatly. I hope to welcome you again. Kind regards, Caroline Canny

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel, which is located very close to the charming Montmarte area of Paris and a hop, jump, skip away from the Moulin Rouge venue. It's at least a 40 minute-1 hour walk to the Louvre and other major sites and in a quieter part of town, but the walk is one of the best we've ever taken. There are so many sights to take in along the way. Also, two train stations (one is Liege) are located very close to the hotel, so if you don't wish to walk, the public transport is so comprehensive and connects the whole city so well.
Each room is designed/themed like a famous sight in Paris. We stayed in the Musee de Orsey room while across the way was the Moulin Rouge one. The hotel has a luxurious, boutique hotel feel and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are on the smaller side---just like all rooms in the city I am sure, but comfortable for two nonetheless. My favorite features within the room were mood lighting fixtures, the luxurious bathtubs and the uber comfortable bedding. I also enjoyed the Hammam; a wet sauna on the -1 floor, the welcome and goodbye drinks! We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Choose a room you connect with - we had the Musee d' Orsay and it was so appropriately themed- w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear KinSid, what a pleasure to read your review & that you will be coming back in a heartbeat! Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and for sharing your feelings towards our location.
Musée d'Orsay and Moulin Rouge are indeed facing each other on each floor, we made them neighboors even though they aren't in the real Paris! The team and I would love to welcome you again. Kind regards, Caroline Canny

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend in Paris and would definitely recommend this hotel.

The rooms are very nice and of a good standard. They are not the biggest rooms you will come across but in fairness you probably wont be in it that much with so much to do in Paris.

The reception staff are great and always willing to help.

The breakfast is good and reasonably priced for Paris.

Room Tip: The Eiffel Tower room was very nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
26609991, Directeur général at Hotel Design Secret de Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Lloyd B,

I am very grateful for your warm recommandation to the Tripadvisor traveller's community. The reception team is indeed always happy to help and I am glad you felt that way about them!
A little extra tip for the breakfast, it can be pre-booked on our official website (only) at a discounted price.

We hope you will jump in the Eurostar again and visit us soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed in Secret de Paris for 3 days in Jan 2014, the stay was one of the best holidays I have had. The room was beautiful, the bathroom was lovely and the staff were the most helpful I have experienced, nothing was to much trouble with Willman and Marie going above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay perfect. We will definitely be returning to Paris and certainly booking to stay in this wonderful hotel again.

1  Thank MWknutsford

Dear MWknutsford,

The title of your comment was already amazing and it got even better after reading the content! Thank you soooo much for all your lovely comments about our hotel & the service you received. Be assured that Willman and Marie received a specialmention and they were very touched to be highlighted in your review.

We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here in December of 2013. I was in the Moulin Rougue room. The room quality was nice but a little smaller than I expected. The whole atmosphere was quite romantic. It is a great setup for couples looking to get away in Paris and is not a bankbreaker. The bathroom setup is excellent and the shower can fit more than one person. The lights and mood of the room were all geared toward romance. The staff was helpful in giving directions and helping with transportation etc. The location was also quite good. Close to the metro and I was able to walk to the Moulin Rouge. One weird thing, none of the cabbies I used had any idea where Rue De Clichy was or this hotel. I had to guide them. The room service took a bit of time. Apparently they get the food from somewhere else and bring it in house. Its a good hotel for the price and if you are a couple looking for a romantic retreat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear JimgSingh11,

Greetings from Secret de Paris! And thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the warm & romantic atmosphere of your Moulin Rouge room.
As for the cabs, well I am not so surprised that they wouldn't know us. After all we are small^^and there are over 2000 hotels in Paris! As for directions however, they are all equipped with GPS so they have no excuses for getting lost...
Finally regarding room service, it isn't cooked in our hotel as we do not have a restaurant, nor a professionnal kitchen. We work with a lovely company which cooks 100% fresh products and they cook upon receiving the order. It takes between 30 and 45min to receive your order.

I hope to see you again in our hotel in the future.

Kind regards