“Excellent location, a bit worn down, but great value”
Review of Hotel Jean-Gabriel

Hotel Jean-Gabriel
Ranked #1,149 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent location, a bit worn down, but great value”
Reviewed 2 December 2010

At first the hotel looked pretty bad, but at check-in the receptionist/manager/bell person/maintenance all the same guy was smiling and was very polite. The rooms are small and worn down, but was clean and had a comfortable bad. At breakfast we noticed that the server/houskeeper is the same person, but she was very helpful, and friendly.
We had two rooms and both was okay compared to what we have paid for. The only negative experience was that the elevator did not work the first day. Overall I would say the room was clean, the staff was extremely helpful, the location was perfect (just a few steps from Place de Clichy) and really compared what we paid for it was perfect.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2010

This is a newly re-done hotel that was recommended by the El Dorado down the street. Very pleasant staff, nice hard bed, room gets really dark at night (an essential for me!). Room was simple but clean with some little flourishes in the way of art. Breakfast room very nice-kind of a barrel vaulted room with a historic feel.

We paid about 100 Euros, including breakfast, which I thought was very reasonable.

A nice, option if you'd rather spend your money on some of the other pleasures of Paris rather than the hotel room!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Vannes
Reviewed 24 June 2010

They gave a room key to a maintenance man who entered my room twice (despite a do not disturb sign on the door) while I was still in bed. The second time, he sat down on my bed and started hitting on me. When I complained to the hotel staff later, they claimed I was lying because I didn't want to pay my bill. I would pay twice the normal rate just to feel safe in my room!! I checked out immediately. This hotel does not care about their guests' privacy and security. Do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
10 Thank jv2133

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

South Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We spent a week here with another couple. Location really convenient to Metro Place de Clichy. Room small but for the price was from our experience fairly normal for Paris. All staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Our room clean and quiet (we didn't face the street)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Wangary
Harrogate
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Very quiet at night but easy access to lively areas. 24 hr reception with very friendly staff(not overly) . I don't understand the grumpy, critisising reviews. I could not think one negative side of the hotel. Just arrived back from Paris with all fantastic memories. Part of the experience was staying at Comfort Hotel in Montmartre with very comfortable beds, cleanlyness, security (24 hr reception), fantastic location, very nice breakfast, internet. I definitely will go back to Paris, staying in this Hotel as soon as I can. I would recommend to everybody who goes to Paris to discover the city and not to old miserable people who are picking on small things in the hotel. Why would anybody expect huge rooms? It's clear from the photos that they are nice cozy little rooms. The rooms were cleaned, tidied every day. But every time we returned to our room it was obvious that the the cleaner staff were very careful not to move or touch too many personal items. It's only my opinion but after this 5 nights, when I'm go back to Paris in the near future I wouldn't risk going anywhere else once I know this place is perfect for me.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrownTrout74
Limburg
Reviewed 5 September 2009

Some reviews here must be speaking of a different hotel. This hotel lies just a few hundred meters from tube station Place de Clichy instead of Abbesses and it's in the flat part of Montmartre. Place de Clichy is a rather lively location with bistro's, restaurants... Hotel itself is located in very quiet side street. However all the noise comes from inside the hotel mainly from the whole sanitary system. The noise was absolutely terrible whenever someone used the bathroom, shower or toilets. Also the walls must have been very thin because you had no problem following conversations and actions in neighbouring rooms. It's always a bit of a problem in hotels, but it's the first time I write about it because it was so bad and I had so much difficulties getting some sleep. I found the staff rather friendly and helpfull, I didn't have a problem with that. The rooms were clean but small, I found the shower simply too small. The breakfast in the morning was alright, but if not included in the price I wouldn't pay 9 euros for it. The hotel itself lists as a 3-star hotel, in the Germanic/Anglo cultures this would never rate 3 stars. Therefor I found it bad value but my main concern was the noise.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
scotland
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We managed to find the hotel ok, was in a nice area, however when we walked into the reception there was one member of staff lying on a sofa while another was chatting to someone, we waited for about 10 minutes thinking it was another customer, the person turned out to be his friend. When we were checking in we decided against the breakfast option much to the disgust and almost anger of the staff. Got into the smallest lift in the world and found our room, it was terrible, very small and the bathroom looked like it needed upgraded (limescale around shower). The bed also had stains on the sheets. We decided to leave straight away and went down to check out. When telling the receptionist he didnt care and just pointed at the door. Perhaps the worst staff i have ever encountered. Would never go back even if i was paid to.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple