“Diner at Bistrot de l'Alycastre”
Review of Le Bistrot de l'Alycastre - CLOSED

Le Bistrot de l'Alycastre
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Great evening at the Bistrot de l'Alycastre ; a small but very friendly restaurant in Saint Germain.
Super atmosphere , do try the Tartare de Thon (raw tuna ) outstanding .Then a bar For 2 persons outstanding piece of fish , fished from little boats perfectly cooked with lemon pastas.
Great evening thank you.

There are newer reviews for Le Bistrot de l'Alycastre

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I went there for a nice dinner with my wife looking for a French Bistrot of a local atmosphere. The restaurant had only 3 other tables occupied and the hostess/waitress seated us at the worst table looking at a wall, and right next to a velour drape, which made us feel claustrophobic. I ordered a sea bass, and I could only eat 1 bite. The fish had a chewy texture and a bad taste. So I set it aside and it took about 20 minutes for the waitress to notice me. Didn't even ask if I didn't like the dish. I told her. And she told me that it was very strange as other people had ordered it and it was perfect. She said that maybe I didn't know what's sea bass is, or maybe they could cook it longer, claiming again I don't know how to eat fish.!!! I refused to continue there and asked for the check. They charged the sea bass and I told the waitress it wasn't correct. She immediately started screaming at me that the fish was perfect and that if I didn't like it, it was my problem. And the she went to another table and asked loudly if they liked that plate. Putting me as evidence!?! Conclusion: I paid for a terrible dish, a terrible service, a terrible atmosphere, and not only this... It was an pretty expensive experience!!!

2  Thank DCHM77
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I very rarely give poor reviews. I have to in this instance because I don't want anyone else to waste 120 euros on indignant chefs and rude staff. I ordered a steak medium rare. A good portion of the steak was burned, like black and crusty all the way through. Fully one half of the steak was inedible. This dish was 62 euros (31 per person).

My fiance told the waitress that the steak was burned and she went and got the chef. Upon arrival, he argued that the steak was barbecued and that's how steak is when it's BBQ'd. The waitress/maitre D'hotel asks at this point where I'm from and I answer California and she rolls her eyes and throws up her hands like "of course this fool confuses BBQ with medium rare".

The steak was visibly black . There was no pinkness (rouge) to the meat. You didn't have to taste it or feel it. It was burned. I BBQ frequently, being from California ;), if I had guests over and I did that to a steak, that means I'm treating the dogs with it and making a run to the grocery store to try again. The chef said he was proud to serve this food and that it was fine for Paris. He's probably right, There are people that like burned food, they order their steak well done. I, on the other hand ordered my steak medium rare.

Not to go on and on, but I can't help myself. Don't believe that you can order the scallops either. My daughter's scallops were done fine, some weren't. Cold, half done scallops are just not good.

So, in reluctant conclusion, don't waste 3 euros at this place. They make bad food, have bad service and are proud of it.

1  Thank Scott H
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We had a very memorable and excellanent meal and special last night in Paris at Le Bistrot de l'Alycastre. Thank you Virginie x

1  Thank CarolineR1259
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had visited this restaurant several times in the past and had good experiences. Now, they have an attitude! On this visit, instead of help with and conversation about the menu, they dropped a rough english translation on the table and moved on. My wife ordered a very pricey sole which arrived almost raw and cold. Worst of all, we had not concluded our meal when we were asked to move to another table in order that a party of 3 be seated. Never has this happened before.
Do not go to this restaurant unless you really enjoy being treated poorly.

1  Thank Alan K