“beautiful space, well curated, explanations in English”

Musee National des Arts Asiatiques - Guimet
Book In Advance
More Info
US$95.00*
and up
Paris Museum Pass and Seine River Cruise Including Delivery to Your Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,107 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This unique museum displays the personal collection of 19th-century East Asian art compiled by Émile Guimet.
Mercer Island, WA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“beautiful space, well curated, explanations in English”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We visited because we had seen metro posters (metro stop Iena) advertising an exhibit of Hiroshige prints which was fabulous. They are also having a display of Japanese traditional tsutsugaki textiles which is a risce paste resist technique generally used with tradional indigo dying. In case this sounds too technical, just enjoy the beautiful results. We stayed to see the Chinese and Korean displays, paintings, screens, ceramics and bronzes as well as Indian, Pakistani and Afghan displays. All wonderful and much more accessible because of the labeling and curatorial explanations in English.

Visited September 2013

• Polish first
4 attraction reviews
“Magical Musee Guimet”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The experience and presentation of Oriental art was extraodinary. Personnel working at musee should be give a course in Customer Service, some were unpolite.

Visited June 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
291 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Cool Collection”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This museum had an interesting collection of art and artifacts from all over Asia. I think every country was represented, from the Middle East all the way to Southeast Asia. The Chinese pottery was stunning, as were some of the ancient statues from all over Asia. This museum would not be my first stop in Paris if you haven't been here before, but it was a fun way to spend a morning. Plus, I got in for free as part of the first Sunday free day at museums all over Paris - take advantage of this program if you happen to be in town on the first Sunday!

Visited February 2013
Malibu
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Much better than I expected”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I expected a "small" collection, based on reviews I've seen. We were blown away by the size of the museum and the quality of the exhibits. We've been in Asian art museums all over Europe and the US, and feel that this is one of the best. Beautiful building, great restaurant, not crowded - we spent the whole day. The audio guide needs work - apparently the museum was recently reorganized and the audio guide numbers are not sequential, so they are a little hard to follow. However, do not let that stop you from touring this fabulous museum.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank SusanMalibu
Sao Paulo, SP
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“My favorite museum in Paris!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

A seriously amazing collection! I was blown away. My husband and I spent about four hours wandering around brilliantly curated galleries. We loved it so much we came back a second day.

Also the cafe on the lower floor was delicious. I highly recommend the Thai Salmon!

Visited August 2013