“But the little things are important”

Hotel Lancaster Paris Champs-Elysees
Ranked #387 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Booked a weekend (via Eurostar, the only way to visit Paris from London - very smooth) at the Lancaster for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is lovely, and as central as anyone could want, being less than 4 minutes from the Arc de Triomphe, but the "dreamer" room which came with the package was so disappointingly small. Room 110 is tiny, and the internet connection didn't work despite the claim of wi-fi everywhere, probably because 110 is tucked away at the end of a long and winding corridor which was, to be honest, offered almost apologetically. I think the staff member could see our disappointment. The cost of £624 (in the Eurostar package) for 2 nights included a 20% discount on the rack rate. There was no hanger pole from which to hang our overcoats and it all just felt a bit shabby. It would have been damn near impossible to have breakfast a deux in the room.

We asked for another room and the only one available (after a brief suggestion that there was nothing) was a deluxe room at another €120 per night. This was very good although, again, little things were slightly awry. No plugs in the 2 sinks and couldn't get the air con to work properly, but the room and bathroom size was perfect, and perfectly lovely.

I can't believe that room 110 is typical of the "dreamer" standard room. I'm pretty sure 25sq metres is larger than this, but if you can afford the deluxe variety then this is a terrific place to stay, and the Sunday lunch was absolutely exquisite although, again, you would be looking at at least €100 / €120 per person even with a relatively inexpensive bottle of wine. It's a great hotel and we intended to enjoy ourselves in Paris so we did.

But next time, if we consider the Lancaster, we will try to get a better room at the outset.

Room Tip: Room 110 is dire. Room 505 - a deluxe room - was very nicely appointed and remarkably tranquil given...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MartinCallaghan
Sigrid-Loisel, Responsable commercial at Hotel Lancaster Paris Champs-Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Sir,

We thank you very much for sharing your opinion after your stay at the Lancaster Hotel.
We highly value your feedback and take in consideration the details pointed out during your stay.
We do hope to have the great pleasure to welcome you in the Lancaster for your next visit in Paris. Please do not hesitate to contact me in order to organise personally your next stay.

With very kind regards,

Sigrid Loisel
Sales Manager

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Just back from a great 4 nights in Paris at the Hotel Lancaster. Nicely located, and with LHW Leaders Club, upgraded to a suite. Breakfast was outstanding!
But the best thing about our stay there was the friendly, efficient staff. Everyone from front desk to doormen to wait staff anticipated our every need and addressed us by name from the moment we arrived. Excellent suggestions on casual dining, and flawlessly both made and reconfirmed our dinner reservations, made in advance via their concierge. Use of courtesy car was nice as well.
Will stay with them again, for sure!

Room Tip: Courtyard view, away from front street
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Sigrid-Loisel, Directeur général at Hotel Lancaster Paris Champs-Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very delighted to read your review, especially your appreciation about the Lancaster employees. Service is more than important to us. Being part of the Leading Hotels of the World is a great privilege for us and we try day after day to honor this representation.
I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back in the Lancaster for your next visit in Paris.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I know, I'm an idiot -- who leaves cash in their hotel room? But it was tucked away, and we were just going to the restaurant downstairs for dinner (delicious, incidentally) and honestly, I didn't want to be bothered lugging everything with me when I'd just lugged it across the Atlantic. This is a five-star hotel, after all. So I left it. And when we got back, it was missing. We were on the sixth floor and my husband checked to make sure the door was locked before we went to dinner. At least two people had access to our room: the housekeeper who did the turn-down service, and someone who brought a bucket of ice up to chill some wine at my husband's request. It was only about 75 Euros, thankfully, and at first I just chalked it up to an idiot penalty for my having left it in the first place. What was disappointing, however, was the total failure of the hotel to address the situation. We reported it the next morning, and the gentleman who took the report was very professional and apologetic. He asked all the right questions and said all the right things: this can't happen, we're so sorry, we will investigate and follow up with you, thank you so much for telling us, etc. We decided not to change hotels, figuring that it would be a hassle, it could have happened anywhere, and it seemed like the hotel was committed to making it right. But then, six days later, we were checking out and we'd still heard NOTHING. No "we just wanted to let you know we're continuing to investigate," no "let us at least buy you breakfast or a drink at the bar," nothing. It was this ultimate failure to follow up that has caused me to write a negative review of what otherwise could have been a very pleasant stay.
The staff -- the concierges, doormen, and restaurant staff in particular -- were unfailingly courteous and professional. They were extraordinarily helpful with restaurant reservations and directions. The decor was lovely. Our room was a generous size for Paris, and the bathroom had the type of modern amenities that can be hard to find in an older hotel (giant tub, marble everywhere).
Our only complaint aside from the theft was the deafening street noise that woke us, without fail, multiple times every night. Our room was on the street side (I understand the courtyard rooms are quieter, but we were out of luck on that one), and we would get bar noise from about midnight to around 4am-4:30 (last call at the "Hustler Club" two doors down, maybe?) and then the construction/trash trucks would start around 5. There was no way to control the temperature in our room (there was a thermostat, but it was either broken or the air conditioning was turned off throughout the hotel, because adjusting it didn't do anything). When we were there, it was 70F every day, so the window to the street was the only way to get some air into the room. The noise, however, was an inconvenience but not a dealbreaker. Once they turn the air on, I expect it will be less of an issue, and I should note that we did not complain about it/give the hotel an opportunity to correct it (I was reluctant to appear like a whiny, high-maintenance American).
Ultimately, this is a beautiful hotel with a very pleasant staff at which I would never stay again in light of the theft. It seems to me that, at close to $600 a night US, you should be able to find a place where you won't get robbed, or, at the very least, where a robbery will be addressed.

Room Tip: Avoid the street-side -- lots of noise (and we're used to lots of noise)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LittleFierce

Dear Madam Beigbeder,

Thank you for your review about your unfortunate stay experience at the Lancaster Hotel. I tried to reach you many times by phone on the 12th April, unfortunately in vain then I sent you an email.
I also feel disappointed about your staying experience. Rest assured that all your comments where shared with the concerned departments. An action plan is already in place to improve and solve our weaknesses. We also recredited your credit card of 75 euros.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, I will be really pleased to have few words with you over the phone.
I thank you once again and I am looking forward to welcoming back very soon.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I spent quite a bit of time researching different travel sites for our choice of Hotel in Paris. After reading positive reviews about Hotel Lancaster we scheduled our stay there last week. We couldn't have been more pleased. It exceeded our expectations in every way. I doubt you can find a better staff top to bottom at any Hotel in Paris. We strongly recommend the Lancaster and are planning a return trip to this wonderful hotel soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience on our TripAdvisor page.
I will be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the Lancaster Hotel, please do not hesitate to introduce yourself on a future stay.
Reach your expectations and moreover "exceeded" them "in every way" is the most beautiful reward for us. Your kind words and compliments were immediately shared with our staff who were very grateful to receive them.

With best regards,

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed at the Lancaster as a family for school holidays. I have never been satisfied with any hotel in Paris that I have stayed at (maybe over 4 or 5 visits in the past 10 years) The Lancaster was warn, inviting, the staff superb and eminently helpful. All our needs were met and exceeded expectations. ~~ when it was difficult to find a taxi they offered us a complimentary limo drive to The Jules Verne Restaurant. We booked the Champagne and Breakfast Package and were regaled with the best hotel breakfasts that we have ever had in the Michelin Starred Troisgras Restaurant. We have no reservations in recommending The Lancaster to anyone who wants a superb stay in Paris... and will certainly be returning soon.

Room Tip: Street is noisy.. so book a courtyard room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments which bring immense pleasure to our staff, we are extremely grateful.
I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of meeting you and your family upon a future occasion.
We therefore look forward to welcoming you in a near future.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

It's quite possible to be disappointed by service in France (I'm french btw) but the Lancaster is amazing in this respect. Provided you stay a couple of nights, the staff remembers your name, what you like for breakfast and is always extremely pleasant and helpful.
This is far better than most hotels of similar standards I have been to in Paris.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for taking time to write a comment on our TripAdvisor page. Every feed-back is important to us. Our interest is to serve you and always try to reach your expectations.
I am very happy your stay was enjoyable and the service was 'amazing in this respect". I shared your thoughts with all the Lancaster employees.
We look forward to having the great pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

A class act. Stunning hotel; beautifully furnished. Our suite was upgraded to one which was even more sumptuous than then one we had booked: lovely parqué floors; antique furniture; Boris Pastoukhoff oils on the walls; very carefully and discretely modernised so that it felt fresh whilst retaining its character. Service was equally discrete and thoughtful. The food was also excellent. Indeed, in many ways, Michel Troisgros's cooking reflected similar qualities to the hotel: beautifully presented, a little decadent (lobster and truffles was a treat!) , and yet restrained and carefully balanced. So, for example, the intense flavours of the venison and its rich reduction were complemented by the bitterness of the endives.

Overall, hard to fault. I'd like to thank the hotel for helping to make a special occassion very special.

Room Tip: Those at the back appear generally to look onto the Zen Courtyard - which is very attractive. The b...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

What a delight it is to read your review! I am very grateful that your dedicated some of your time to write commentaries on all aspects of your experience at the Lancaster Hotel. I am very happy the "new" Lancaster totally renovated in 2011, is considered by yourself as "a class act"!
High quality service is our priority and receiving a comment like yours make us feel proud. We are very concerned to please our guests and always tried to reach and moreover to go over your expectation.
I hope of welcoming you very soon for many others special occasions to celebrate.