“Very Good But Perhaps Not Great”
Review of Hotel Montalembert

Hotel Montalembert
Ranked #70 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I had been used to staying at the Hotel Pont Royale, right next door to the Hotel Montalambert. Just before Christmas (December 15) we decided to try the Montalambert. The hotels are about the same price, and both bear 5 stars (although this is going with the French star system - neither would be what is normally considered by North Americans as "5 star").

The lobby area is very nice, as is the adjoining restaurant. The lobby area is bright, clean and tidy, and projects a nice atmosphere. The staff were warm and welcoming and always willing to help, throughout our stay. Full marks there.

There are two elevators, both looking to have been added to the existing building long ago - very small (my wife and our two small suitcases filled it up). Both are slow. Whether they are frustrating or charming will depend on you, and whether you are in a hurry. We were staying on the seventh floor (counting French style), so while we were happy to take the stairs down, I can't say I was in a hurry to take the stairs up. I have to say I found them charming.

The only issue was our room. We had reserved a deluxe room, which was said to be the largest of the non-suite rooms. And our room was very small. With our two suitcases (both of the 22 inch variety), there was little room to move in the room. The bathroom was equally tiny. I can only imagine how small the regular rooms must be. The room was very plainly decorated, with a closet, a small desk, and a small chair. Nothing much on the bare walls. While I am used to travelling in Europe, and thus fairly used to small rooms, I have to say I was disappointed with the size of the room. Having said that, my wife found it small but not uncomfortably so. Our window opened up on Rue du Bac, and if you looked left, the Eiffel Tower was clearly in view, adding a nice touch of charm to a stay in Paris.

The room and bathroom were clean, and the linens of good quality.

One complaint I have was that the bed had no sheet, but only a duvet. I tend to be warm at night, and my wife cold. She was comfortable under the duvet, but I found it far too hot, but it was either that or no cover at all. (Perhaps this is becoming a trend - we found the same thing in a London hotel a week later.) And like many older hotels, the air conditioning controls seemed more decorative than functional.

Having said that, I would say that given the wonderful (for us) location of the hotel, the staff, and the overall ambiance and general quality, we would stay here again, and would recommend the hotel to others, so long as the proviso of the small rooms was understood.

Having said that, the room

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street have great views, including of the Eiffel Tower. With the windows close...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henryws

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed at the Montalembert now for at least the 8th time and it was perfect as always. Great location of course for museums and shopping, very very friendly staff as usual, I love it here and I will definitely come back next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My first trip to Paris and I am so grateful that I stayed here. The location is central to everything. The amenities were perfect, so many extra touches like the robe & slippers and the cute teddy bear. Daily snacks brought to your room. The staff was warm, helpful and was there to please. They went the extra mile to make your stay comfortable & pleasing. Quality & Excellence is how I describe the hotel and the staff. I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed in Paris for one weekend in December 2013.
The Hotel gave us a free upgrade to a Junior Suite on the top floor with a view of the Eiffel Tower from the window and the balcony.
Great Hotel with very friendly staff

Room Tip: Great Location, great suite with view of the Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThierrySch
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hate to sound repetitive but everything was great - location (Left Bank is our favored side), staff (hugs when I left!), room (perfect amenities, pillows!) and front desk (Benjamin can work miracles). As long as you know that everything here is small - very small elevator for hotel of this quality but it is historic building, and dining room is smaller than I envisioned. Definitely a 5 star boutique hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Enjoy staying in this area of Paris, so close to the Seine, museums , d'Orsay, and Louvre and our favorite restaurants and shops! Within walking distance or short cab ride to the Arch de Triumphe, Eiffel Towel & Rodin museum. Rooms tiny even by Paris standards. Bedding was average at best.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Myriam K, Directeur général at Hotel Montalembert, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Thomas S,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. The Montalembert is central and in a charming and quite area of Paris at the same time.
Hotel rooms are usually not that large in Paris and the Montalembert does meet this " Parisian standard". Our 3 different room types offer however some alternatives to our guests, based on their lenght of stay, expectations and preferences. Our Junior Suites, Suites and our Suite by Christian Liaigre, are well appreciated by the guests who are looking for some more space and comfort.

We hope to see you again soon at the Montalembert and wish you a happy holiday.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I spent 6 months in Paris on the Rue de Seine many years ago and would walk by this hotel with curiosity because it looked so lovely. This trip I decided to try it and could not have been more pleased. First let me say that I am partial to this neighborhood. The fact that it is quiet yet central to so many wonderful shops and museums is the biggest appeal. I drool just walking by the MOST beautiful art, design, and antique shops and the cafés and patisseries and restaurants are all top. What else do you want from this civilized city?! Hip and young and lively it is not. Go to the Marais for that. Elegant and timeless yet hip is The Montalembert!

Room Tip: They had a very good rate for a superior room and I was quite pleased with the size and amenities.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Myriam K, Directeur général at Hotel Montalembert, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Stefani P,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon to the Montalembert.

Wishing you Happy Holidays,