“Very charming hotel”

Hotel Duc de Saint Simon
Ranked #594 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 12 November 2013

It is hard to find a quiet and charming hotel in Paris but this is one. The only downside is that he hotel is betting a little shabby so that some refurbishment is in order. The locations is really excellent -- right near the Rue du Bac metro station, within walking distance of the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Edward W

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Duc de Saint Simon for 4 nights on what was probably around our 30th visit to Paris & we found the hotel exceptionally good. The location was excellent in a quiet street a block away from both Rue du Bac & Boulevard St Germaine and the hotel was great, we had an amazing room on the ground floor overlooking a small private courtyard which allowed for plenty of fresh air & the bathroom was large by any standards & had as well as a big walk in shower also had a great bath, The booking was easy, as was our check in & check out and we found the staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful. Breakfast, which we had in our room, was also good & again the service was excellent - there is no doubt that we will be staying again in this hotel

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor overlooking the small courtyard and it was great, it would appear that...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David M
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've never been in Paris before, so my review is in isolation, but I would highly recommend this small, adorable place to stay. Close to everything. Staff very helpful (we asked them in the morning for tickets to museums or sites, and had the tickets in our hands in minutes, enabling us to dance right past long lines.) The rooms are exactly what I imagine truly French hotels look like -- beautiful fabric designs, gracious and comfortable layout. Bathroom was perfect --- newly re-done, large shower with water pressure that I can only dream of at home. Contrary to some of the reviews, I thought the lobby was the best I've seen -- straight out of a French novel. (Take a photo of someone you love sitting on the couch.) Magical courtyard, and, best of all, a tiny porter who whisks your suitcase up and down the small winding staircase like it was a feather.
Who would stay anywhere else?

Room Tip: We stayed in room 44.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I just returned from my 10th trip to Paris where I stayed for the first and last time at the Hotel Duc de Saint Simon. For 275 euro per night, I expected a gracious and quiet hotel. It was just the opposite. They were quick to charge my American Express the reservation fee but never sent confirmation--I had to request it several times. I had difficulty sleeping because of constant door slamming--the fault of the way the doors are constructed not the patrons. The room was unusually small. The staff was haughty, condescending, and very unhelpful to its customers. The lobby is small and uncomfortable along with the rooms. I sat in the lobby one evening and watched the staff refuse to answer basic questions re: directions, sightseeing, and airport transfer. Initially, they refused to arrange van service to the airport insisting that I take their private car for 120 euros. There are too many gracious hotels in Paris to waste time and dollars on the Duc de Saint Simon.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank M W
Ducsimon, Propriétaire at Hotel Duc de Saint Simon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you for having chosen our hotel for your stay in Paris.

We are very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and we are also sad to read

your comments especially concerning our staff.

Usually the comments that we have on the TripAdvisor are quite the contrary because

the hotel is entirely renovated and our staff is congratulated by their wonderful work.

1. You mentioned the 5.60euros reservation fee that you paid

by your American express card. This amount is announced the moment you make your booking

and it goes directly to the webmaster not to the hotel. We are sorry if you didn’t

notice that from the confirmation.

2. We did send you twice the booking confirmation from the hotel in addition to the

one that you receive from the web service but my staff told me that you had difficulties in opening the file on your computer. But everything was in order when you arrived at the hotel.

3. Concerning the slamming doors. We are sorry if you had trouble sleeping but since the hotel has just been renovated all of the room doors close silently and we have an excellent soundproofing system.

Also I have to add that our clientele does not slam their doors.

4. Our staff loves to give advice & directions & finding restaurants etc. for our guests so, to be honest we didn’t understand that comment at all. Sorry.

5. And about the car; we gave you the choice, like we do for all other guests to take a taxi or a private car or a shuttle and you chose the shuttle. We sincerely hope that it was okay because it takes more time than the private car that you refused.

We all wish you the best for the future trips and we are sorry that you weren’t satisfied with us.

Kind regards

Valérie Nouvel
Owner

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Forgive my play on "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs", but it just seems to work. This hotel is quintessential Paris with toile, painted woodwork, antiques, lovely linens, a location which allows you to walk to great restaurants, shopping and yet quiet and residential enough to allow you to watch the children trail after their parents on the way to school in the morning. I traveled with my husband and 2 other couples and we stayed for 3 nights in late September. Each of our rooms were different and each were decorated beautifully and put us in the French mood. Our friends beat us to the hotel with earlier flights and upon our arrival, we were told that we were downgraded to a smaller room accessible by a lift--with a Queen vs. King , no refrigerator, etc. We still aren't sure how this mix-up occured as our TA emailed our requirements at least 6 months ago. Though we were charged at the lower rate, we wanted the larger room. Then, our A/C made horrible noises which kept us awake for 2 nights. An attempt to fix the problem the first night failed, and our chats with the front desk, though they were very kind and accommodating, brought no relief. No other rooms available as the hotel was full. Finally, problem solved for our third night, but if our TA had not intervened, I don't think we would have received any concessions. But, we did, the owner sent us a spllit of Moet and waived our breakfast costs, which make the sleepless nights and mistake on the room more palatable. As stated earlier, breakfast at the hotel is expensive, but eating in the quaint "cellar" with delicious croissants, ham, cheese, tea or coffee, yogurt, fruit is so easy and quite bountiful. The desk staff were helpful with reservations and information and all spoke quite good English as my college French was not cutting it. Yes, stay here. I would do so again, as would my friends.

Room Tip: Only part of the hotel has lift access, so be sure to inquire if this is important to you. Some roo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nanazsun
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The location, a quiet side street off the boulevard Saint-Germain, is a tranquil but ideal location to access the metro, multiple cafes, restaurants, traiteurs, boulangeries, and charcuteries. It is a short walk to the Seine, Le Bon Marché,, the Tuilleries, Musée d'Orsay, Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe and Les Invalides, the the Louvre and... if you are able to walk a longer distance, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens, and many more Paris attractions.

The furnishings are traditional - French fabrics in a lovely mix of patterns and many antiques. Our room was in the annex off the central courtyard at the top of a separate entry and staircase (I think it was is #42). It was surprisingly spacious - containing a King bed, a large modern bathroom, a small, but adequate closet with a safe, and a large bathroom with a tub/shower and fluffy white towels. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bed linens were beautifully made up and immaculate each day. Another nice feature was that the room opened through French doors to private garden terrace containing a table and chairs - nice to enjoy coffee in the morning or a glass of wine before dinner. Actually, with all of the availability of prepared food from nearby shops, one could bring in a meal rather than dining out.

It is possible to purchase a breakfast served in the stone cellar downstairs, but we chose to explore the neighborhood to try out all of the options there.

The staff was unfailingly friendly, courteous, and helpful. When I required a medical consultation, the desk manager arranged for a doctor to come to the hotel room to see me within the hour. Do inquire at the desk for assistance with your plans. For example, we found that we could purchase tickets to Musée d'Orsay for the same price as sold at the museum and avoid the lines at the ticket office and entrance, as there is separate door to the museum for holders of these tickets.

There was a nice sized flat screen TV in the room, but we did not have time to try it out! Another perk is the complimentary WiFi, which is certainly a great benefit for planning of the daily itineraries as well as checking email.

Room Tip: For a special experience, request a room with a private terrace if the season is right... not much u...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank n1cf2
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in Sept. The hotel's location is perfect. We were on a small quiet street right off Blvd. St Germain just a few blocks to the Musee de Orsay, and the Seine. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The room was very French and lovely. The bathroom was well appointed, had a bathtub and shower. There are restaurants and cafes a short distance from the hotel. The area has loads of great shops to browse.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple