“Nice hotel but tiny rooms”

Le Pavillon de la Reine
Ranked #38 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We have just stayed our first night and first impressions yesterday were good, although our 'twin room' is so small that it is lucky we only brought our small wheel along carry on luggage as there would be no where to lay a suitcase. The room is clean and pleasant but the size is such a turn off we don't want to spend any time in the room. Also we had to sleep with window open as there is a heater on that we can't turn off. It's January so the middle of winter here but the room was roasting. I would love to stay here again but I have stayed at other Paris hotels with bigger rooms so I would be likely to choose one of them again for my next stay. This staff are very nice and the bathroom is also nice and luxurious but these were not enough to make up for the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in and we travel internationally at least 4 times a year to Paris and UK. If you are coming to stay our room is number 23 on first floor. Try for another room!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Erin C
tim g, Directeur général at Le Pavillon de la Reine, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Erinclaire, I am sorry you did not enjoy your room and I agree room 23 is not large as its our standard room. The heating should be able to turn down or up in each room so I will make sure our maintenance team look at this problem in your room. I thank you for your kind comments about the staff.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Pavillon de la Reine took us in as we were trying to escape a terrible hotel that we'd booked in a fit of cheapness. I don't know what we were thinking. So as we wheeled our bags in, we were apprehensive. But the hotel immediately proved to be exceptional. The staff were lovely, fluent enough in English, funny and full of good advice. The room was incredibly well-designed, quiet and tasteful.

There's something about the way the downstairs public spaces are set up that inspires quiet and stillness. Even though people are encouraged to hang out and help themselves to the honor bar, it never turned noisy or tacky. As a breakfast room, it's also terrific.

The courtyard at the front of the hotel is wonderful in winter and probably just outstanding in summer.

The location is actually fantastic, and is midway between a number of helpful Metro lines. Plus every cab driver knows where Place des Vosges is (particularly after the DSK scandal, as he lives on the opposite side of the court from the Pavillon).

I'm so happy they took us in. It was a perfect home base in Paris.

Room Tip: The interior rooms were great; I was concerned that I'd hear guests from various rooms bouncing...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Choire
tim g, Directeur général at Le Pavillon de la Reine, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Hello Choire, many thanks for your kind comments and you are right the front courtyard is great in good weather to have coffee or a drink, today it's sunny after the snow and we can feel spring is on it's way!

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Pavillon de la Reine's location is the best, the decor is the best, the rooms are the best, the service is the best. But the really good thing is the bar. The best hotel bar in the world, find out for yourself.
Breakfast is average, for the price you could even say it is not too good. But every time we visit Paris (about 2 times per year) my wife and I have to go back.

Room Tip: The suite is very nice, but I am sure any room is great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
tim g, Directeur général at Le Pavillon de la Reine, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Hello Rick, many thanks for your kind comments it's always good for the hotel and staff as they try hard to satisfy our guests. I say we are the hotel for visitors who are comming back to Paris and want to try an area of Paris which is very authentic and french , with little restaurants, shops and art galeries.
Keep coming back and enjoy.
My best wishes for 2013.
Tim.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this beautiful and charming hotel on the place de vosges. We had a deluxe room facing the courtyard - not that large but extremely comfortable and cozy and plush. I think the best part about the hotel was the level of service we got from the staff. They were all very friendly and basically new us by the second day. Arnaud - the Concierge was extremely helpful and we wanted to thank him especially as well as the entire staff. The breakfast was great and plenty of items including scrambled eggs. However they asked us if we wanted a special type and we had fried eggs. the spa was nice - we used the steam room every day and got nice massages set up by the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello Scuder, such nice comments warms our harts and makes all the hard work worth it, many thanks.

Reviewed 25 December 2012

Having always stayed near the Champs Élysées I was slightly apprehensive about staying in the "trendy" Marais district as on the map it looked a little far to walk to the main attractions and shopping areas but I was pleasantly surprised with this hotels location and absolutely loved the location of this hotel. Near two very central metro lines, one which takes you straight to the louvre & my beloved Champs Élysées and the other which whizzes you straight to the opera and Galleries Lafayette. The hotel is situated on place de vosages which is a gorgeous green square laden with up market art galleries, I imagine it would be even more beautiful in the summer. Bastille is a 2 min walk away and the Pompidou, hotel de vile and Rambateau are all a 15 min walk away. The hotel is tucked behind a glass for facade, you enter a majestical courtyard, complete with fairy lights and wrought iron table and fairs which I imagine woud be a fantastic place to sip champagne in the warmer months. The hotel itself is boutique with around 54 rooms. The immediate feel is homely and comfortable. Small lounge areas adorn each side of the hotel with a roaring fire, honesty bar ( always a sign of a good hotel and respectable clientele), plush velvet sofas and warm lighting. Breakfast is served here in the morning. Staff are very friendly and attentive. I was given a suite on the top floor having requested a light room prior to arrival ( some if the rooms on the website looked a little dark) and was pleasantly surprised to see I'd been given a £710 per night suite. The suite was bigger than most London apartments with a small lounge area complete with desk & flat screen tv, bathroom with power shower and bath, a separate toilet room and a large bedroom complete with four poster bed. This is not a hotel for modern lovers. The wallpaper is velour damask, the furniture dark wood and the bed is canopied. However iPod dock and a second flat screen tv add modern touches. It's a very romantic feeling room if a little cold. The bed was not the comfiest by any Evans but looked the part. Daily weather updates, chocolate on pillows and complimentary magazines were a lovely touch. The bathroom was complete with molton brown toiletries which were lovely. An honesty mini bar is also in the room.
The breakfast at the hotel is ridiculously expensive but if it is included it's great, if not I'd suggest popping out for breakfast. The hotel has a spa and gym which is unusual for a Parisian city centre hotel. The gym was well equipped with lots of machines and weights, tv, free towels and water. There is a jacuzzi room which is great if empty and a steam room. The spa looked lovely but was again very expensive with a pedicure around 100 euros. All in all its a beautiful typically Parisian hotel in a great location which I would recommend to anyone, particularly couples looking for one peace and quiet, excellent service and uncomplicated luxury.

Room Tip: Request a light room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lpen
Reviewed 29 November 2012

These days we are used to exceptional service without attitude. Here you get it 'avec' and makes it all the more Parisian (if you like that kind of thing). Service here is slightly uptight without meaning to be so, I suspect. That aside Place des Vosges is a lovely location and the exterior of the building is very good to the eye.

The suite rooms are duplex with some odd lighting arrangements, but very pleasant nonetheless.
I think though that some of the design choices are a bit odd and given the rich context hereabouts, much more could be achieved.

The room temperature regulation was a problem. Woke at 3.30am to stifling heat despite no heating being selected. This is a problem in most hotels these days so, opened the window to let in a little air and slept better.

The breakfast is great here.

We liked the reception staff a lot and they were very helpful.

The public areas are very nicely laid out and elegant without being over the top.
Sadly, we didn't have time to try the spa.

Will definitely come back but hope that the hotel management lightens up the rooms and takes the interiors upscale with better materials.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N L
tim g, Directeur général at Le Pavillon de la Reine, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Hello Ladymann, thank you for taking the time to write a few words about our hotel and the kind comments. Your remarks about the lighting and design choices have been taken into account for when we next renovate, but I am glad you enjoyed the overall feeling and most important you will return.
On another point I hope we could have a few critics (good or bad depending on everybodys taste, good or bad) from the next few guests on our Xmas decorations which are now in place!!!
My best regards.
Tim.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Some years ago my son was a student in Paris living in the Marais. I then chanced on this charming hotel, discretely set back from the lovely Place des Vosges, and resolved that when I had the chance to treat my wife to somewhere special in Paris, I would take her to the Pavillon de la Reine.
The staff were delightful, the room and facilities were fresh and comfortable and my expectations were full met.
There was a small blip when a chambermaid mistakenly thought our room had been vacated but the management went out of their way to right the wrong.
I hope we can return for longer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple