“Wonderful! and no sign of building works”

Le Pavillon de la Reine
Ranked #35 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Bangor, Northern Ireland
“Wonderful! and no sign of building works”
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We are just back from a wonderful weekend here - a special treat for my birthday .
It was just wonderful - lovely peaceful courtyard location just off the atmospheric Place des vosges , where we enjoyed breakfast in the cloisters, and listened to musicians .
Do spend some time in the lovely park - we enjoyed watching the Parisien families on Sunday morning .
We had a suite in the oldest part of the hotel - no 9 -
The best part of this hotel was the really helpful and friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble , and their restaurant recommendations were spot on - Bofinger , a bustly brasserie perfect for meeting up with friends, Enoteca good italian .
I just didn't want to leave !!
No sign of building works !

• Liked — terrific staff, beautiful location
2 Thank sessiagh
Tim G, Directeur général at Le Pavillon de la Reine, responded to this review, 19 March 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel Le Pavillon de la Reine.

Tim Goddard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We booked it following the reviews on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. this is an excellent boutique hotel in the heart of a vibrant part of paris, but nicely set back one road from any noise. The staff were very nice and all spoke excellent english, the breakfast deliciuos, and the fact that it has no restaurant for dinner is actually a good thing as there are so many excellent restaurants within a few hundred metres - it makes you go out and explore. I would strongly recommend this hotel for any couple wanting a short break in paris.

• Liked — Style
  • Disliked — nil
1 Thank Edward F

Bayeux, France
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We have stayed at this hotel on two occassions. The first time (Sept 2007) we thought it was over-priced but realised they were re-
furbishing so gave them the benefit of the doubt. Our room was old, tired and - worst of all for a hotel of this rating - the shower head was mouldy. Really not what I had expected. The most recent stay was also disappointing - we arrived jet-lagged and travel-weary and were appointed a very nice room. (My husband had warned them in advance that we would be arriving early from the U.S. and he had been reassured that everything would be in order). Although the front desk staff were professional and helpful when he had phoned to make the reservation - they neglected to tell us that the hotel was STILL undergoing major re-furbishments. When we arrived, the children's room wasn't ready so the four of us crashed on the one bed and tried to sleep through the guys with the drills and hammers on the floor above. I felt the hotel could have/should have warned us. Eventually, the children were appointed a room about as far as possible away from our room - theirs was not yet re-furbished and the bathroom was awful - mouldy - the room smelled like cigarettes even though they now have a non-smoking policy. The bedcover was really in need of a decent dry-
cleaner. We were disappointed. The builders continued throughout our stay which made resting impossible (the kids were seriously jet-
lagged). We were paying premium prices as we had booked directly with the hotel. To top it off - the valet (poor guy) crashed our car as he was leaving the hotel garage. I don't think we'll go back anytime soon. It was a shame as it's a great location and - could be - a first class hotel. They just need to attend to a few details.

Stayed March 2008
6 Thank MonkeyBites
Tim G, General Manager at Le Pavillon de la Reine, responded to this review, 13 July 2017
Dear Tripadvisor readers,

Please note this comment is from 2008.
Since then, the Pavillon de la Reine operated major renovation.

Kind regards,

Vanessa Jacquiot
Sales & Marekting Manager
London, UK
Reviewed 17 April 2008

My boyfriend booked this hotel for my birthday weekend. We spent two nights in the hotel in a deluxe room (no. 19). The hotel itself is beautiful - the outside is covered in ivy. The room we had was great - arranged on two levels with the bed upstairs and living area and bathroom downstairs.

Breakfast was lovely with lots to choose from.

The concierge recommended a restaurant called Le Pamphlet, where I had a yummy chocolate fondant for dessert. The concierge also recommended a jazz club, which my boyfriend and I loved.

Definitely recommend it.

• Liked — the character of the property

Nottingham
Reviewed 28 March 2008

A superb location, set back from the beautiful Place de Vosges. Perfect for exploring Paris, with many interesting places (Picasso Museum, Jewish quarter, Bastille Opera, Louvre etc etc) near by. The hotel is extremely comfortable, and the staff faultless. We initially had a room next to the lift, and requested a different one. The excellent chap on the front desk (Arnold?) was only too happy to oblige and we ended up with a better room!
The honesty bar is a nice touch too. Can't comment on breakfast, we always ate at one of the many nearby cafes.
Room are very nice, traditional rather than modern but I mean that in the nicest sense with Molten Brown toiletries, flat panel LCD TVs with cable TV. Very luxurious, and full of character.
Highly Recommended!!

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple

Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We have (literally) just returned from a 4-night stay at the Pavillon de la Reine and had to say what a wonderful hotel it is. We stayed there last year and fell in love with both the hotel, its location and Paris! So when we wanted to take my wife's parents to Paris this year (their first time) there was only one choice of hotel to make their stay extra special and nobody was disappointed.
It is a very relaxing hotel with great staff, in particular the concierges are incredibly helpful and patient. They are undergoing some work inside the hotel - moving the reception desk, moving the breakfast room to the ground floor and adding a spa downstairs - but you really wouldn't be aware of the work going on other than a blank wall where the reception desk used to be. Apparently the work will be finished in May this year.
The breakfast buffet is excellent with plenty of choice and perfect scrambled eggs. Although the hotel doesn't have a restaurant it really isn't required as there are so many wonderful places to eat nearby to the hotel (as well as 24-hour room service, although we didn't use this). I'm sure you can't go wrong but the concierges are able to recommend excellent restaurants tailored to your preferences. We particularly enjoyed Bistrot de L'Oulette (Stephane is an excellent host, knowledgeable and enthusiastic) as well as Gaspard de la Nuit (both on Rue Des Tournelles) and Le Carre des Vosges on Rue St Gilles.
We stayed in a superior room and the size was more than ample and was actually bigger than we expected - especially for Paris. Place des Vosges is delightful and is in easy walking distance of Notre Dame and the Seine, Bastille, the Pompidou Centre and the Louvre. The immediate area around Place des Vosges also has beautiful shops of every description - but not the big chains of the Champs Elysees if that's what you're looking for! You really feel you're part of Paris staying in this wonderful hotel.
It is on the pricey side, but you certainly get what you pay for in this instance. It is superb. Treat yourself and stay here.

• Liked — All of the staff
  • Disliked — If I had to think of anything it would be the fact that the room off the bedroom with the toilet was separate from the only basin which was in the bathroom the other side of the bedroom (v. minor!)
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Tibbles

London, England
Reviewed 12 March 2008

This is an old review but I feel I should add my views to what appears here. My partner and I spent a few days at Easter here a couple of years ago.
The hotel is attractively tucked away in its own courtyard off the Place des Vosges; the impression as you enter is tranquil and exclusive. The flagstone floored lobby and public areas are decorated in a comfortable, effortlessly smart country house style .
Our immaculate room on the ground floor, though smartly decorated ( in rather masculine style with dark colours, which did not help) was small and dark; The lighting though it looked smart, was totally inadequate and I felt like a mole in a hole. No alternative rooms were available as the hotel was full. The bathroom was small with a ridiculously small basin and nowhere to put. my sponge bag or make up.
Everything had obviously been chosen very carefully in an updated version of 'old money' taste and it was indeed very smart but this pales into insignificance when the basics are not met. Breakfast for one was delivered to the room. I daresay it is rarely let to two people as !t just about accommodated one person.
To the management's credit, after we made our views clear, they promised to look after us especially well and to upgrade our room choice on our next visit.
However, despite their kind offer, we have yet to return and have subsequently stayed elsewhere in Paris - in another luxury property where we had a huge suite, a wonderful time and terrific value. That, I believe, says it all!

• Liked — Peaceful convenient location; exclusive atmosphere and elegant design
  • Disliked — Tiny dark room
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple