“Not worthy”

Ranked #258 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“Not worthy”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The good thing:

The Staff (reception, concierge, cleaning service) they all great and friendly, many thanks.
The lobby
The location.

The bad thing:

The Manager

On the second day when we ask if we can upgrade our room because it was a bit old than on the picture published, he tried to sell us the upgraded room for a higher price than the online rate. Also when i told him that the picture of the room on the website is the same type as the one that they showed me which they say it is a higher category than mention on the website (maybe so they can sell it in more expensive), he told me that the picture on the website is wrong. (LOL)

After decided that we're not gonna upgrade our room because the rate was different than the online rate, we then mention to him that we also don't get our free bottle of wine and water which is stated on their website are included on their amenities, he reply me that it is depend on our booking (LOL),but finally we got it after the receptionist helps us talk to the GM of the hotel and show him my ipad with the list amenities that the hotel write on their website.

The problem with the complimentary water again

On the third night (we stayed 4 nights) we ask again for the free bottle of water, then the reception guy told me that it is only for our first night. So I ask him "in where did it mention that the water or the wifi or the deposit box that mention on their included amenities list is free for the first night only? After that, they send me another free bottle of water :)

The room

The condition is pretty old don't be fooled by the nice lobby or the picture.

PS: If the management of the Castille hotel read this review, my advise is don't commit what you can't delivered. Hope you guys can improve.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pomputus
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Pomputus,

After reading your comment you posted on TripAdvisor, it will be difficult to me to express by writing how frustrated and distressed I feel about the bad experience you had with us during your stay. It is so far away from the usual guest service we are proud to provide to our international guests. But it seems that this time we have been unable to answer to your basic needs and it is unforgivable. It will not change your idea about the Castille Paris (and I regret it), but based on your comments, I have already taken all measures with my team to make sure that these discrepancies in service will not happen again, especially the discrepancies between our new internet site and the amenities we are offering to our valued guests.

With my personal apologies,

Erwan Sarre - Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel was a great choice for our first trip to Paris. We love boutique hotels and this fit the bill. The staff was welcoming spoke English very well. The concierge was fantastic throughout our trip making great restaurant recommendations. Anytime we called for additional towels toilet paper etc it was brought to the room promptly. Also wifi is included for free and worked well.

The room itself is small but you know that going in for Paris. They do a good job of making great use of the space. Only big complaint is the bed. The mattress was awful.

The lobby is beautiful there are so many so places to sit and relax and take in the artwork. The location can't be beat a short walk to all the major sights and most importantly of all the metro stations to get around town I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Paris.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Ucfsteven,

Thank you for your comment regarding your recent stay with us.
We definitely look forward of welcoming you again at the Castille Paris.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a lovely roomy suite (454) which overlooked a beautiful quiet courtyard. A problem with our original room booking was swiftly resolved by the hotel manager who was most accommodating, The bed was very comfortable (even for bad back sufferers). The bathroom (with bath) was a little small and the fittings in need of updating, but was perfectly adequate, Room service was prompt and friendly - In fact all the staff we dealt with were smiling, competent and welcoming throughout. It was a shame that no bottled water was freely available in the room, except cold from the mini bar On the other hand, the espresso machine was a very welcome addition.

The cosy bar and lobby area are comfortable and the food served of excellent quality. The breakfasts in particular were gloriously indulgent and the service friendly but highly professional.

Located right next door to the most famous Chanel boutique of Paris, and within a stone's throw from the high end Fbg St Honore boutiques to one side, or les Galleries Lafayette and Printemps department stores on the other, this hotel is perfectly situated for a Paris shopping break. It is also a short (5min) taxi drive from le Gare du Nord Eurostar terminal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the quieter Rivoli wing overlooking the internal courtyard
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ac_fava,

I would like to thank you for this detailed report about your stay at the Castille Paris. I am very glad to read your comments and what are the reasons why you do prefer our property to an other one. I am fully convinced that this kind of testimony will be very helpful for our future visitors.

Long Beach, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Castille after a week at the beach in Hossegor. The staff were very helpful & welcoming. The room (512) is large with a marble bath and very comfortable bed. WiFi (basic) was free & there is an in room mini refrigerator. My man has a problem sleeping and he found the bed very comfortable. The room was very clean and well stocked with toiletries. The gym is serviceable but I ran every morning in the Tuileries. It is a short walk to the Tuileries garden, Place de la Concorde etc. Very high end neighborhood (Chanel is next door). The staff recommend expensive places to eat ($60.00 for a breakfast of 2 coffees, 2 waters, 1 juice & 2 pastries: ridiculous!). Walk around and find less expensive places, they are out there.
One note of caution: I was robbed by a pickpocket about 100 yards from the hotel entrance. We were walking back to the hotel after dinner at a local cafe and someone came up behind us on the sidewalk. We expected them to pass but they didn't. By the time we turned around to see who it was (seconds!) it was too late. No one at the hotel cautioned us about the now EPIDEMIC problem of pickpockets invading every area of Paris (not just touristy areas). We went to the police and they were very sympathetic but said the problem is out of control. My advice: keep very little on you, use the hotel safe, keep bags in front & close to your body, keep money in socks, bras etc.
I knew that pickpockets were a problem but I thought it was just in touristy areas. It is not the hotel's fault but I do wish they had emphasized safety.
I would return to this hotel if I were going back to Paris.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Lorrainebyrnes,

Thank you so much for your nice comment posted on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that either the location of the hotel or the kindness of the team made your stay even better than expected.

And, by the way, I do share with you your opinion about Parisian's pickpocket. As in all main international capitals, we regrettably deplore that we need to be vigilant in all places.

I look forward of welcoming you again at the Castille Paris.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 1 August 2014

On my way back from Texas to Cairo I decided to break the flight for two days at the Castille. The first room they gave me, 214, was quite small. After I took a shower I saw that all the drain water had covered the floor of the bathroom and created a lake in the bedroom. When I tried to dial the phone, I could not get a dial tome. Additionally the bellboy had neglected to tell me how to reach the desk. I decided to try to relax with a glass of cold water from the mini bar. It had not been turned on. When I quietly complained to the desk, the hostess trainee was most helpful. She switched me into a room that was still quite small, but better arrainged. No problems showering or using the phone or getting a cold drink from the mini bar. However, if I were to stay there again, because the location is quite nice, I would book a much larger room. Also the room service menu is rather sad after ten p.m. and if you are a transatlantic traveller, you will undoubtedly find this frustrating. P.S. Stay away from the soup - a watery melange of tired vegetables. The best things about the hotel were the helpfulness of the staff, the fresh orange juice and the perfect espresso.

Room Tip: Avoid the closet size standard. Even the deluxe is small.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Lovestraveling_10,

I am sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet with your expectations. Regarding the room size, and if we have the pleasure of welcoming in a near future, our deluxe rooms may be more appropriate for a triple (275sqf for deluxes vs 220sqf for superiors).
As far as the service is concerned, it seems that we missed you on this. It is usually what our clients are complimenting about the most.
I would like to thank you for bringing these comments to my attention. Feed-backs (positive or negative) are the only way for us to improve and to fulfill our clients expectations as much as we can .

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed at the Castille twice before and enjoyed the experience. I returned for the third time recently and got a great price through Bookings.com. We arrived at midday hoping to get into our room a little earlier, not to be, in fact it wasn't until 4pm and a lot of hanging around that we were shown to our room. Our room was incredibly small, in fact too small to fit all our luggage. It was right next door to the lift and we had very little sleep due to the comings and goings of the guests.
Overall, it was not a satisfying experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RachaelALoomes,

I am sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet with your expectations. Regarding the room size, and if we have the pleasure of welcoming in a near future, our deluxe rooms may be more appropriate for a you (275sqf for deluxes vs 220sqf for superiors).

Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Having stayed at a different section of the Hotel last year I was expecting much more and better than what we found. This time we stayed in room 452 and it was a tired room with a broken air conditioning system. I know as Americans we have different expectations regarding temperature but believe me the room was hot. The location is great easy walk and access to almost anywhere in Paris. I normally travel once to twice a year to Paris but I will be looking elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Wary of 452
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear TVMD,

I am sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet with your expectations. Regarding the room, and if we have the pleasure of welcoming in a near future, our Contemporary deluxe rooms may be more appropriate for you. 452 is one of our Coco style deluxe rooms which usually is appreciated by our American guests.
As far as the a/c is concerned, be sure our technician took care of it when he was informed, and it was fixed immediately.