“Good stay despite some serious problems”
Review of Castille Paris

Castille Paris
Ranked #256 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Washington, D.C.
“Good stay despite some serious problems”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

This is a beautiful hotel with great bedroom space at an excellent location. Unfortunately, we encountered three nontrivial problems during our stay: air conditioning was out for some days; internet service was not working; and hot water was not available one morning. Hotel staff made great efforts to remedy these problems over a hoiiday weekend (15 August) in Paris, but was unable to achieve success. Nonetheless, the elegance of the service, the friendly staff, and the basic attributes of the hotel helped overcome the negative impression created by these problems. .

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank capitaltraveler77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I booked this hotel based on the glowing recommendations from other TripAdvisor reviews. Unfortunately, the hotel didn't live up to any of our expectations. All of our problems centered around the horrible service. It's a shame because the room was actually quite nice. The staff is friendly, but totally inept and not empowered AT ALL to solve any of the problems encountered. The trouble started when we attempted to use our phone to call the concierge for dinner recommendations our first night (a must if you don't know Paris very well). None of the service buttons on our phone worked (operator, front desk, concierge, housekeeping, room service, etc.). So, we had to walk down to the lobby after we finished dressing. What a surprise to find out that there was no concierge... at 8pm on a Friday night! We reported the phone trouble to the bellman and he wrote a note to the lone desk receptionist (too busy with another guest to answer our questions about the phone). The next day, we were missing a robe. We tried to use the phone to call housekeeping, but it still wasn't working. No one ever called us back or contacted us about the phone. Good thing we didn't have any true emergencies that would require a working phone. And, there still was no concierge to help us with a dinner selection on the second night... at 7pm on a Saturday night! The front desk attendant seemed confused by the phone and concierge complaints, but didn't really have any solutions. She then told us someone would contact us before we checked out the next morning at 9am. Guess what... no one ever called us back. We had to complain to the front desk attendant (again) as we checked out. At that point, we were "promised" the desk manager would reach out to us when he arrived later that morning. As expected, we never heard from him either. This is on top of the worst hotel bar service I've ever experienced (no one in the bar, 15 minute wait to track down a bartender, flat champagne and prices higher than the Hotel Costes!).

So, if you decide to book this hotel, please ask the desk receptionist for their special phone dialing instructions when you check in (these are not furnished in all of the rooms), ask when the concierge will be available, and avoid the bar AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank JeanieKAS
GM-Castille, GM - Castille at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 26 July 2009
Dear Mrs "JeanieKAS" ,

After reading your comment you posted on TripAdvisor, it will be difficult to me to express by writing how frustrated and distredded I feel about the bad experience you had with us during your stay. It is so far away from the usual guest service we are proud to provide to our international guests. But it seems that this time we have been unable to answer to your basic needs and it is unforgivable. It will not change your idea about the Castille Paris (and I regret it), but based on your comments, I have already taken all measures with my team to make sure that these discrepencies in service will not happen again, especially the phone problem.

With my personnal apologies,

Chargingruby
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My second stay here, after one back in March 2009. I paid about $800/night then for a suite, and it was sophisticated, clean and sleek. I was very happy.

I just checked in again, this time booking a single room with two beds, for $500/night, and I was served up a very small room that's a dump. Carpet is filthy, walls are scuffed up and it's a pigsty. Wouldn't mind a small room if it was well appointed, but this is small and trashy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
GM-Castille, Manager Castille Paris at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 26 July 2009
Dear Mr Chargingruby,

I feel very sorry to read that the room you have been allocated in during your last stay with us did not reach your expectations. Maybe our front staff would have been able to propose you different alternatives. All our rooms are quite different to each others (in size, in style) and I feel confident that during your next stay with us, we will be able to allocate you in a room you will feel comfortable. Do not hesitate to contact me personnally by mail.
With my renewed apologies.
GM - Castille Paris
London
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I have just returned from a trip to Paris and stayed in the Hotel Castille. I went for the weekend with 2 girlfriends and we stumbled across the hotel whilst booking our Eurostar tickets

What a find. The location is second to none. The back door of the Ritz is a couple of doors along and once outside the hotel you are seconds away from fantastic shopping and great restuants. The hotel itself is funky, bijou, very clean with very helpful concierge - ask for Sam!!
We got upgraded as it was my birthday to a lovely, modern, clean room with all mod cons. you can walk from almost anywhere and there is a lovely little courtyard at the back where you can have tea and cake

I cant wait for my next trip to Paris as I will definatley be returning to the Hotel Castille. Value for money is superb

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lou029
GM-Castille, GM - Castille at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 2 July 2009
Dear "Lou029",

I would like to thank you very much for sharing on Tripadvisor your stay's impressions. As the GM of the hotel, I am very happy to read that you did enjoy your stay with us as well as the level of service we are proud to provide to all our guests.

II personnally hope to welcome you back in a near future.

new york
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I had such a wonderful stay here. From the great breakfast in the morning (and i mean great, lots of meat, cheese, traditional american breakfast food and pastries to choose from), the very helpful and knowledgeable staff, comfortable beds, and the cute, clean rooms - this place couldn't have been better. We were here on our honeymoon for five nights. They also have free wi fi and a computer in the lobby and a nice fiteness center (not one of those that is like a dundgen in some hotels)
The hotel is neighbored by high-end shops like Chanel, Dior, and Jimmy Choo. The restaurant selection around here was expensive, but it is an easy walk to other parts of the city. It is also across the street from the famous Ritz bar. This hotel actually made my experience in Paris better and I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs "Spettypi",

How great it is for an hotel GM to read such a nice comment posted on Tripadvisor. Our client's feed-backs are so valuable to always improve our level of service. And I am so happy to have welcomed you at the Castille Paris for such an unique occasion.

So, I look forward of welcoming you for your 1st Wedding Anniversary !

Best regards.

Wollongong
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Well where to start, we turned up after a long drive feeling tired and untidy and looked it also...but the staff welcomed us enthusiastically, which was a welcome relief for our first night in Paris (well on this trip).
The hotel is an old worldly style and is beautifully appointed. Our room was spacious as were upgraded to a suite, this was very handy for a long stay and with a 4 year old it gave us alot of room.
The breakfast is to die for! When ever smoked salmon is served at breakfast you know that you are in an elite hotel.
Dropping off and picking up was abit of an issue, we did not use the hotel car park and parked several arrondisements away is a parking station, we you didn't need a car at this location.
So handy to everything, it was great to just walk and walk.
I loved that we were next door to Chanel and we could even see into there work room from our hotel room!
If you like a good Fondue we found a place called Le Marivaux and went there twice!! Once for the meat and once for the Cheese fondue. 11 bd Des Italiens Paris.
Thank you to all the staff at the Castille Hotel for a lovely stay...

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
GM-Castille, Gm- Castille at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 2 July 2009
Dear "Gownie",

Thank you so much for having posted this very nice comment on Tripadvisor. I already passed it to the team. I am happy to read that you have really enjoyed your stay with us.

We all look forward of welcoming you again soon,

Mapua, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We spent 5 nights at the castille. This was our 6th trip to Paris but our first stay at the Castille. For us the hotel is in a very convenient location. We booked a superior room and it was very spacious and comfortable. Our room overlooked the internal area of the hotel is it was lovely and quiet. We slept very well. The hotel staff we very friendly and helpful. My only slight complaint is the lack of parking outside the hotel, there is none. We were being picked up for our flight back to NZ and as our driver could not park outside the hotel to come in to see if we were ready (which we were) and as it is only a single lane down Rue Cambon and the traffic gets backed up it caused him to be 30 minutes late to collect us. It would be great if there was a small area that cars could pull off the road. Other than that our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
GM-Castille, Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, 18 June 2009
Dear Mrs "Bevchris",
Thank you very much for your contibution about the Castille. I am happy to read that you did enjoy your last stay with us. As you pointed out, the location of our hotel is the number one of the numerous assets of the Castille Paris.
I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon in Paris.
Sincerely yours,