“I would return in the "blink of an eye"”

Hotel Barriere Le Fouquet's Paris
Ranked #34 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“I would return in the "blink of an eye"”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Have just returned from a 4 night stay in this superbly located hotel. This was our second consecutive April return to the hotel and Paris. It is expensive but the service and ambience did not fail to impress second time around. Maybe I am getting a bit fussy in my old age but I like to know that what I am returning to is a standard and quality second to none. The restaurants are not cheap but we had probably one of the best evening meals we have had in Fouquet's restaurant, which for two cost about £210. This compares with an average of about £160 for evening dinners in restaurants in Avenue's New York, George V or Rue Marbeuf.

Paris isn't cheap and to be honest I couldn't do half the job that the staff at Hotel Fouquet's Barriere regularly pull off, displaying class and style and everyone fluent in English, - with wealthy but what seem to be amazingly miserable customers - and I take my hat off to them. We have always found the staff team to be nothing other than super courteous, pleasant and helpful.

The hotel is in a fantastic position, they always do their best to upgrade whenever they can - our previous stay was in one of their best suites and the last one was in a Champs Elysees suite - both of which we were delighted with.

I would return in the "blink of an eye"

1 Thank SirHugh2014
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Fouquet's Paris, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Sir,
We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed staying with us at the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière and thank you so much for sharing your comments with us on Tripadvisor !
What a pleasure to read your congratulations to our team, what a wonderful source of motivation for all of them! We will naturally share your remarks with all of them they will be happy to learn that their efforts are up to your expectations.
We truly hope that this “blink of an eye” is as soon as possible and that everybody in the team may thank you in person.
Merci beaucoup,
Fabrice Moizan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for four nights during March 2014. We wanted a hotel centrally located where we could easily explore Paris and the surrounding areas and for that the hotel is perfect.

As you can see from my Tripadvisor profile, we have stayed in many different hotels across the world, from 3-6 stars.

This hotel may appear on the surface to be 5 star luxury, the doormen, suited and booted (very friendly), the smart reception staff (friendly but a little robotic), the fancy drapes and furniture and the expensive cars lined up outside. However, scratch the surface just a little and what is have is a hotel in an excellent location with no class and no soul.

You expect with 5 star hotels for the food, drinks, services to be expensive but this place is just taking the mickey, and is aimed deliberately at people who have more money than sense. For example, a tonic water was €12, a coffee was €10. The first night we dined in the cafe, one drink each, 2 courses each (steak & frites followed by dessert) came in at over €200. The food was average to be kind.

The rooms are nice but not great. They are clean but could be cleaner. The rates for rooms is ridiculous and breakfast was not included. A set breakfast was an extra €45 each. We paid roughly £500 a night for the room.

We use the Spa a couple of times, it is average. We didn't have treatments just used the pool which was freezing cold as was the jacuzzi/spa area.

Paris is a wonderful city and there are some incredible hotels. This is not one of them in my opinion.

If you're looking for a Parisian hotel with class, style and soul this is not the hotel for you... Try the Champs Elysees Plaza Hotel. We have stayed there before and had the most wonderful time, we only didn't stay there this time as it was fully booked!

Room Tip: Stay at the Champs Elysees Plaza Hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TIpperGee13
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Fouquet's Paris, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière and for sharing your impressions with us on Tripadvisor.
We naturally appreciate feed-back from frequent travelers like you and your comments will of course help us to achieve the quality of standard you would expect from a 5 star hotel like ours. We regret that you did not enjoy the hotel and its service and we have taken your remarks very seriously. In terms of prices, I must say that our room rates and restaurant prices are aligned to the prices of other 5 Star luxury establishments in Paris.
I am concerned about your comment on the Spa as the pool temperature is regulated but for obvious reasons cannot pass the 31°C. We do not have a Jacuzzi but an energizing Aqua Trail, which may explain why this area is not filled with hot water.
Again, thank you very much for your return and the time taken in sharing them with us. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Paris soon.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 2 nights recently in this hotel, conveniently situated close to the Champs Elysee. Our room was spacious and well appointed with all you expect of a Five Star hotel - though the atmosphere was somewhat sombre ( too many dark colours, also in the bar, to our taste. I sometimes wonder whether that is to accomodate the guests from the Middle and Far East since you find the same interior design there. The terrace of the Bar is a real highlight.
The Service was very professional and correct, but that was it, nobody went out of bis way be it at the reception, the Bar or in the restaurant.
We have had better experiences in other Hotels in Paris.

1 Thank NirakMunich
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying at the Hotel Fouquet’s Barrière and for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We regret that you did not appreciate the décor of the hotel. Indeed, the interior design was created by the famous French designer Jacques Garcia whose signature style is accentuated by strong colors and lines.
I was concerned by your remark about our service and be assured that we have shared them with the entire team. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon and to proof you that your experience was an exception rather than the rule.
NJ
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I spent 3 days at this hotel for her birthday last week, and it was a treat! The room was magnificent, with both a sit down balcony overlooking the courtyrard garden and also a stand up terrace overlooking the Champs-Elysees.Service was superb throughout. Competent; cheerful, engaged, friendly. I asked for a small birthday cake to be waiting upon check-in and they brought one out almost as soon as we hit our room, which made my wife ecstatically happy!! One felt appreciated!

So what was wrong? Actually, nothing while we were there! Their problem is with their concierge service prior to arrival. We had chosen restaurants and wanted help getting reservations. I have no idea which Parisian restaurants need reservations 3 months or one month in advance, and for which a call an hour ahead of time is sufficient. The hotel should. So, I went to the web site, and the sole contact email address was at their group HQ. No direct contact to the hotel was promoted. So I wrote HQ on the form. Nothing. That happens, So I wrote again a week later. Nothing again. Simply ignored. That shouldn't happen ever, twice in a row. So I went in careful detail over the emails I received from the hotel ,and on one of them, once, was included a general email for the hotel in small unfeatured letters; easy to miss. So I sent them a request for 2 restaurant reservations, one of which was at Fouquets, and asked for a reply given my failed prior attempts. The next day I got a one line email back, hurray, but only making the one reservation at Fouquet's, and completely ignoring the second. At this point I gave up as a three time loser and found someone who spoke French and we called the last restaurant ourselves. As you can see, not very helpful.

It gets worse. So when we arrive 4 weeks later, the gentleman checking us in asks us if we would like a restaurant reservation made for us! We explain we have one at Fouquets already the next night. He says he has no record of it. He was wrong, because just a few minutes later, he hands me a sealed letter, that mentions that we have two reservations, at both restaurants we had requested. Did they think after being ignored on the reservation request three times I was going to rely on them to make arrangements without having communicated with us? This was worse than nothing, I had to worry about double booking and how the restaurant would react now. Needless to say, I avoided concierge throughout our stay to be on the safe side.

So, we absolutely loved the place, and would stay again and again but the concierge ahead of arrival was as bad as I've ever seen.

3 Thank NJ-Eric
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Fouquet's Paris, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Eric,

Thank you very much for staying at the Hotel Fouquet’s Barriere and for sharing your comments with us on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay and that the birthday cake was a nice surprise for her!

First of all, please accept my personal apologies for the obvious inconveniences caused to you in regards of the restaurant reservations. I have immediately investigated your observations and would like to briefly comment on these points.
We have indeed received your two emails, requesting our concierge to make arrangements for restaurant reservations. Indeed, they confirmed to you the same days to the email address given.
However, we realize now that the email address given on your requests was not correct and that the return messages were spammed.
We sincerely regret this unfortunate experience and I hope that you will not be deterred from returning as we would very much welcome the opportunity to redeem ourselves and prove to you that your experience was the exception rather than the rule.
High Peak
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was taken to Fouquet’s Barriere Hotel by my husband as a surprise for my 40th birthday, I don't think I will ever be able to equal his gesture!!
On arrival at Fouquet's we were shown swiftly to our room, the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and professional.
It would be fair to say that our room was outstanding, nice and spacious, beautifully clean and the attention to detail was second to none.
During our brief stay we made use of the spa, my husband and I had massages which we both agreed were exceptional. Having had treatments in many other hotels, we can say this experience was far superior and very very relaxing!
Having arrived back late one evening, we took advantage of room service. We were very hungry, the food came quickly and was delicious!

There aren’t enough positive adjectives in the English language to describe our stay at Fouquet's, it was amazing and we would love to go back one day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Fouquet's Paris, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for these enthusiastic comments we had the pleasure to read this morning on Tripadvisor! What a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay on this very special occasion.
We are very glad that you have been able to enjoy some treatments in our USpa, as you know we have recently started our new partnership with Shiseido.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel Fouquet’s Barrière, maybe you would like to treat your husband on his birthday?
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 April 2014

many of us expects snooty and snobby in paris, here we have the GEM of hotels at a perfect location - Champs Elysées and Avenue George V.
Gorgeous rooms, friendly and professional service, not one thing that wasn't 100%.
I can but recommend this hotel and its restaurants.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe room facing a side street, very calm with view of trees and greenery on Avenue George...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gunnel B
Fabrice M, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Fouquet's Paris, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at the hotel Fouquet’s Barrière!

The team will be thrilled to learn that their service was friendly and professional and you enjoyed being with us. Thank you for your recommendations!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon,
Yours sincerely
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My family and I stayed at Fouquet's Barriere Hotel past 5 months. For Christmas season vacation. The rooms are very nice and clean. The beds are nice and amazing. The staff is professional and good. I recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bowles A
Dear Guest

It was such a pleasure to welcome you and your family to the hotel Fouquet’s Barrière over the Christmas Season! We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for sharing your remarks on Tripadisor.

We look forward to your next family vacation to Paris,