“Beware -- Soooo not worth the money”

Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris
Ranked #18 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beware -- Soooo not worth the money”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed for a long weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday. I had heard good things about the George V from several friends who had stayed there in the past, so agreed to pay 850E/night for a basic double room.

The good news is that we booked a regular room online and were kindly offered an “upgrade” to a larger room because of the special occasion. Upon my request, we were also given a birthday cake and a bottle of champagne at arrival. I appreciated the complimentary boot shine. The hotel itself is beautiful and the spa/fitness area is wonderful. Everything is very clean and very tastefully done. The staff (lots of them) are all very polite -- I didn't perceive them as insincere but some might.

Otherwise, I’m giving the hotel possibly my worst review ever on trip advisor. I wrote a complaint letter to the president of the company and have cut and pasted it into this review for your benefit. I'd never before felt the need to write a complaint letter about a hotel.

We had to call housekeeping twice to get an ironing board brought into the room.

I woke up ill, having forgotten to request only synthetic pillows and bed linens due to a down allergy. As we headed out around 10 a.m. on a Saturday, I asked a woman at the front desk to have all of the down pillows and comforter removed from the room. She politely said she would have it taken care of immediately and even picked up the phone as we were walking away. We returned to the room around 2 so that I could take a nap, still suffering from an allergic reaction to the down. I was too tired to look closely to ensure the change had been made – but feeling even worse after a 2 hour nap, I realized that housekeeping failed to change the pillows and comforter as promised.

I called housekeeping and they called back right away at least 2 times and sent someone to make the change. The hotel didn’t have a synthetic comforter in the appropriate size – so I was given a king/queen synthetic comforter on my twin bed. The maid was delightful and very apologetic and calling other staff members frantically using a mobile phone while in our room in a valiant effort to correct the situation. I told her it wasn’t a big deal because she was so kind and trying so hard – and indeed it wasn’t a big deal to sleep with an oversized comforter that dragged on the floor – it just wasn’t the type of service I expected at 1200 USD/night.

I requested a morning FT using the form provided – it never showed up – even though someone took the form off the doorknob.

We were woken up every morning by the construction going on next-door. They clearly try to minimize the noise -- but a hammer is still a hammer at 8 a.m.

In the mornings, I went to the lovely spa/fitness area for coffee and to read the FT that I knew would be there. I was looking forward to coffee and the FT in the room – but didn’t want to risk room service forgetting the paper and/or waiting for forever for room service to even show up.

The spa attendants were generally very polite, one even gave us a very nice tour of the facilities. However, one of the spa attendants on the day I left was dreadful. As I sat there drinking coffee from the free coffee/tea/water bar area and quietly reading the paper – entirely alone in the area – I sensed her displeasure with my presence. I did a quick workout and took a cup of coffee from the bar up to the room. She looked at me as if I had taken a painting off the wall. I apologize for my stereotypical “ugly American” behavior of drinking coffee from a to-go cup – but at 1200 USD/night, *nothing* should have led that spa attendant to look at me in such a way. I was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, just like all of the other folks going to and from the gym. And I was told specifically that the coffee was free – it wasn’t an area only for patrons awaiting treatments.

The worst thing that happened of all – a woman, seemed to be a maid, came into my room quietly – without knocking – at 8:30 on Monday morning!!! I have NEVER had this happen, ANYWHERE. My friend had left for London about 1 hour before, so perhaps someone was sent to check on the room – but not phoning first or knocking on the door is simply unacceptable under any circumstances. Fortunately, I was putting my shoes on and saw her just as she put her first step into the room. I don’t know if she was sneaking in to see what she could take – or what – but she quickly apologized and left.

At checkout, I was made to wait for 15-20 minutes until a “cashier” who could handle the payment transaction for my room was available. The 2 polite women at the front desk each said that they were only in training and couldn’t process payment. I had a nice conversation with a polite Swedish clerk – but I still sat there waiting for a really, really long time. She asked about my stay and indeed I told her about a few of my complaints that she wrote down -- but I didn't want to create a ruckus in such a quiet, lovely lobby with so many folks coming/going. I assume that because I carried my 2 small bags downstairs myself, they sent someone upstairs to check the room before letting me leave. This is understandable, of course, but it was very awkward to have to wait for so long. Maybe they were telling me the truth and they couldn’t in fact run my credit card for the room – but to make a guest wait for 15-20 minutes at 11 a.m. on a Monday to check out is ridiculous. If I was going to be made to wait for so long, they should have offered to have me wait in the bar area and given me a cup of coffee or water. No one else was waiting to check out – I was standing alone w/the clerks at the registration desk.

Finally, a “cashier” showed up who showed me the bill. Someone had charged 18E for 2 coffees over the weekend onto the room that my friend and I did not have. I told the “cashier” that these were not my coffees and asked to see the signed receipt for them. He got a rather disgusted look on his face and said, “I’ll just take them off.” He clearly thought I was lying, and it was somewhat embarrassing. I meekly responded, “I am paying 18E for a local phone call to make lunch plans” to indicate that I wasn’t trying to argue with the prices for things I had used. (As you can imagine, the prices there are ridiculous -- so I can't really complain but you should be aware -- I paid 18E for a brief local call and 10E for a coke from the minibar. 25E for a cocktail. 40 - 50E for a cheeseburger. I didn't pay the 22E/day for internet access.)

My friend and I are not regular guests at Four Seasons and I we checked in using tourist passports. Perhaps we were considered “low rent” guests, and thought we could be ignored as such. In any case, it wasn’t what I expected for the price – I would have been disappointed for half the price. Even in Paris you can do just fine at 425 E/night MANY places.

If this is your first trip to Paris and you don't have a full-time hired car, you may not like the location. You might try the Meurice or Crillon -- each of which has a much better location for a first-time visitor to Paris.

I can't say this experience ruined the trip -- but it certainly would have if we hadn't tried not to think of it, especially considering the price. Neither one of us would ever stay there again – nor would we recommend it to anyone for anything other than afternoon tea or one cocktail (make a reservation to ensure a table) before the bar gets too crowded with exceedingly flashy nouveau riche types and the band in the very beautiful lounge starts playing "Kalinka" and other Russian hymns.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
51 Thank nnsanci

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Two nights spent at the George V to celebrate my girlfriend's 30th birthday have left me speechless. This was, by some measure, the best experience that I have ever had in any hotel and I write as someone who has been fortunate to spend some 7 years travelling extensively in Europe, Asia and the US for business and leisure. I was concerned, given the history of the George V, that the experience might be somewhat stuffy for a relatively young couple (we are 31 and 30) but the service is so warm and considerate (throughout, even at the 2* Michelin restaurant, Le Cinq - again brilliant) that I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends of the same age in London. It is not cheap, but nor should it be for a hotel of this quality. They do what they do superbly, as one has come to expect of the Four Seasons - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My husband and I spent a few days at this hotel on our way to the Greek islands. To be honest, I was a little worried about our stay and being in France in general because my husband is not (yet) a Francophile. That said, I chose the Four Seasons George V because I had heard and read so many good things about it, and the hotel most certainly did not disappoint. My husband and I felt warmly welcomed, staff were exceedingly polite and thoughtful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The good things:

-- We didn't splurge on a room and, while I was nervous about it, it didn't matter one bit. Our room was gorgeously appointed, with the highest quality bedding, bath products and furniture. We were extremely comfortable and felt very pampered.

-- Since we had arrived at the hotel prior to check-in time and wanted/needed desperately to unwind after a red-eye from the States, we opted to kill time at the spa. No joke, my massage and mani/pedi (done simultaneously by two technicians) were the best I'd ever had. The facilities are private, quiet, serene, relaxing..everything a spa should be. In addition, the technicians were extremely skilled, efficient and did not talk excessively (if at all!). They did their utmost to ensure my comfort and then did their jobs..quite a nice change from some of the places back home where there's incessant chatter and all you want to do is chill out and not have to speak. Staff also went out of their way to ensure I was happy with their work during and after they were through. The spa staff were very professional yet warm and friendly at the same time.

-- We received excellent recommendations from the front desk for where to eat (though I can't remember the names now since it's taken so long to write this review).

-- We flew out of CDG on a 0600 hrs flight so we had to get up around 3am and make our way to the airport. Well, the staff sent up a wonderful continental breakfast tray of warm, fabulous baked goods and then, while we were checking out at this ungodly hour, my husband said to me how he wished he had time to have one last cappuccino. Well, one of the doormen heard him say this, disappeared and within minutes arrived with a steaming cup of cappuccino in a to-go container...completely on his own intiative and yet another example of the thoughtful service here at the Four Seasons! He even came back with a bottled water for me (probably so I wouldn't feel left out). : )

-- The restaurant in the courtyard was excellent though a little on the pricey side...still, I would recommend it highly. The wines were perfectly paired with our meals, too.

-- What really stood out to us was just how very nice, helpful and kind everyone at this hotel was. They truly understood and delivered excellent service.

-- The hotel lobby and public areas were also absolutely gorgeous especially if you love flowers like I do. When we arrived, the main lobby had unbelievably beautiful and enormous clear glass vases full of gorgeous blue, purple and pink hydrangeas...to die for!

So what's bad/wrong with this place? I really have to think here...possibly because of the exchange rate, it was exceedingly expensive but, in my opinion, worth every penny. The hotel is in a super nice area of Paris and my husband and I pretty easily were able to walk to the Eiffel Tower (it took a bit of time..maybe 20 or so minutes..but it was thoroughly enjoyable).

If you have the time and funds, stay here. It's one of the very best hotels I have ever stayed at and I've stayed at many luxury properties around the world.

Room Tip: There's no "bad room" in this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Beautiful large rooms! The best service ever! What a beautiful time!

• Stayed April 2011
Great Falls VA
Reviewed 2 April 2011

If you take your dog to the bar at the George V, they will bring you a silver water bowl for your pooch. Unbelievable place!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I recently held my wedding at the George V. Words can't capture the wonderful care that Christophe Rouen and his team took of us. At every turn, they were upbeat, informed, gracious, generous, and invariably anticipated my every question and need. We were a party of 11, plus a 3-month old. They took exceptional measures to make each of us, including the baby, feel comfortable and at home. Christophe seemed to feel as invested in the success and joy of the wedding as I was! We were treated like royalty.
The rooms are impeccable - full of light and luxury. The beds are also fabulous.
Wonderful place for a memorable and meaningful couple of days. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My name is Bella and I am a very cute Maltese that loves to travel so I am picky about where i lay my head. There is no better place in Paris for doggies then the George V.
When I arrived at the hotel i was greeted by name and welcomed with a hand penned letter wishing me a lovely stay.

Upon entering the room, I found a beautiful bed just waiting for me to snuggle. It came complete with homemade biscuits and fresh water supplied multiple times daily.

The hotel ensured that my needs were met in everyway including dinner reservations wih my master at dog friendly two and three stars, the best table scraps ever!!!

And, if i was left home alone, a sitter was supplied so I could play and feel entertained. A doggie never had it so good! I love the George V and am so happy my owners have booked for next year. It is in this dog's opinion the top hotel in Paris!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple