“Nothing but the best!”

Ranked #20 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing but the best!”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

First trip to Paris, first time away from the kids with my wife and we could not stay in a better hotel. From the arrival time to the departure time I can not point out anything negative! Staff is attentive to any of your needs, flower arrangements around the building is speechless, hotel room is just what would you expect from 5* hotel. Top rated experience from our stay? Eggs Benedicts at the Le Cinq restaurant. Eggs are poached to the perfection, nicely round and after cutting thru this small beauty the egg yolk just runs out! Still wondering how do they prepare them to this perfect shape? Love this property and we will be definitely back but next time with our kids - before heading off to the Disney destination!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I love this hotel
Yes there is wonderful service, food, atmosphere, clean, rooms, location...yes its a palace
But building (Hotel Prince de Galles) on the north side of the hotel is closde for heavy renovation.
There is noise and vibration all day long.
So ask absolutly a room on corner Georges 5 av. and Pierre 1er av. or wait the end of renovation on the side before your next booking.

Room Tip: Because of renovation at hotel prince de galles, ask rooms on the south of the hotel if you dont wan...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Mykosher
Beaufort West, South Africa
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The hotel is exquisite. One of the very best in the world. I am maybe spoilt, because I knew it in the old days, before it became part of the Four Seasons. Things change, as they will, and must and maybe I am looking at the past with nostalgic eyes. In any case if you did not know it then you cannot travel back in time. Let me not deter you. You will find it sumptuous and luxurious.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OomSchalck
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

A superb Christmas day lunch was complemented by a wonderful room and exceptional standards of service - with prices accordingly. But there was never any question of our not receiving value for money, as this hotel was excellent in every respect.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Del Mar, CA
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to a trip to the Cote d'Azur. The common areas of the hotel are lovely, and no one does grand flower arrangements better. Our suite, however, was dowdy and dated. I've always wanted to stay at the Georges V, but now that I have,
will return to Le Meurice or try Le Bristol.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LoveTheLuxeLife
London
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The rooms are of a great size with a two person tub. The romantic décor is to my taste food id the hotel was average.The staff seemed to have some trouble with my accent which I found really strange. Overall great for a weekend stay as the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Check in early for best room selection.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Before spending a few nights at the George V in October, I thought—really, secretly hoped—that I would be among those who would shower effusive praise on the hotel. I wanted to fall in love with this storied hotel as so many other reviewers seemingly have. Unfortunately, my experience left a lot to be desired. The George V has built a reputation on providing its guests with unparalleled service, but it is precisely in this area that it failed me most stunningly. I found the concierge to be particularly unhelpful and frustrating. They were dismissive and I often felt like I was being shooed away. On our first night in Paris, they booked a reservation for us on the Yacht de Paris. I approached the concierge desk a couple of times before leaving for our dinner cruise and each time I was told to come back later. I finally called from our room and a woman told me to stop by a few minutes before we were heading out to pick up a card with the information on the reservation. I did just that and noticed that there wasn’t a complete street address noted on the card. I mentioned this to the concierge and he shooed me away and told me I’d be fine—that any taxi driver would be able to find it. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case and our driver struggled to find the location. Additionally, we didn’t know what to expect from the menu at the Yacht de Paris. We learned at dinner that the only entrée offered that evening was lamb. Neither I nor my traveling companion care for lamb so we made due with bread, but it would have been nice to know such information beforehand. We would have maybe eaten a little something in advance or found an alternative to the Yacht de Paris.

The next evening, we tried to make reservations at Le Cinq located inside the hotel and we were told the restaurant was booked for the next week. We called the concierge and asked for alternatives. I specifically asked for a few options. It was a special evening and I didn’t want to take any chances on dinner so I wanted this to be a more collaborative effort. I never heard back from the concierge. Instead, an hour or so later, a messenger deliverd a card to our room with our reservation for the evening. When I called to inquire about what had happened (i.e., what happened to providing us with some options) I was met with indignation.
The last straw was when I asked for a recommendation for a nearby coffee/pastry shop. The concierge recommended Laduree. When I asked where it was, he scribbled something on a map and told me it was easy to find. At that point, I’d had enough. I never asked the concierge for anything else. Instead, we contacted the concierge at the Ritz London (we were there the week prior and returning for a few more days after Paris) who recommended a great tour company in Paris. We leaned heavily on our tour guide for places to visit and where to eat and shop, etc.

We also had a disappointing breakfast at La Gallerie on our second morning. The staff was scrambling to remember our orders. It was a disaster (runny and undercooked eggs; lumpy crème; they forgot to bring orange juice; they forgot to bring toast for the eggs; they forgot to bring a clean cup for tea, etc.). It was a shame because breakfast the day before was impeccable. Unfortunately, the second morning’s experience left such a bad impression on us that we skipped breakfast altogether the next day.

Finally, on our second night at George V, we had to phone the night manager twice because we were kept awake by very loud techno music from the room next to us. She didn’t do anything the first time so we recorded the noise on our I-phone and she eventually sent someone up and it stopped at around 2:30 am. The next day there was no acknowledgement of the inconvenience—not a call or a note.

Certainly, nothing I’ve described is the end of the world. However, for a hotel that touts its service above all else, the George V failed us terribly. I sincerely hope that our experience is an anomaly--that other guests are welcomed warmly and treated with more respect than we were afforded.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple