All reviewsleft bankcharming hotelquiet streetluxembourg gardenssaint germaingarden roomcroissantsclassic roomlovely courtyardcontinental breakfasthome away from homefavorite hoteldinner reservationscommon areasside streetjunior suiteright bank
Reviewed 29 May 2009

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. My husband and I stayed here during the New Year celebration for the first 3 days of our honeymoon. We had been awake for 30 hours straight when we arrived in the rain; I was so tired I couldn't think of the correct French to check in! Luckily, the hotel staff easily completed the transaction in English, then whisked away our luggage while we enjoyed hot tea and cookies (it was all so wonderful I started crying; yes, I'm a tad emotional).
The elevator was small by our standards, but quite large compared to the other Parisian hotel where we stayed (alas, we could not afford such luxury for more than three days). Our room was beautiful and the staff was extremely tolerant; we wouldn't normally stay in such an exquisite hotel in America, much less in Paris, so it was all very new to us! The hotel is right down the street from the famous Église Saint-Sulpice (under renovation during our visit); it's also very close to a couple of Métro stations, so it's very easy to access the rest of the city as well. We had a great first-night meal in a small bistro nearby (excellent Spaghetti au Saumon!).

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We just returned from an amazing trip to Paris. The Hotel de l'Abbaye is an exceptional small boutique hotel in a wonderful location.
We arrived jet-lagged and bleary eyed and were greeted by the wonderful smell of fresh flowers and the most charming hotel staff. They led us directly out to the back garden where we enjoyed fresh pastries, fresh squeezed orange juice and were taken by the tranquility and beauty of the greenery, birds and the fountains. The hotel manager (I wish I could remember his name) encouraged us to take a walk, breathe in some fresh air and even arranged a thai massage at the nearby Wissai Thai institute - all to help with the jet -lag, He was correct.
We checked into our room a couple of hours later and were pleasantly surprised by the cozy cheerful rooms, all which have windows that open on to the back garden or front courtyard. We stayed in a standard room and were quite happy. The rooms are on the small side, but neat and well designed so the size was not an issue. They do have larger suites and a couple of duplexes if you prefer something larger.
We prefer to stay in intimate inns rather than larger corporate hotels so this hotel was the perfect find for us. They do not have a formal restaurant, but who needs that while in Paris - there are plenty nearby. My only suggestion would be to offer a yogurt and some fresh fruit at breakfast. - though I would not let this prohibit me from staying again.
All in all we had a wonderful experience and I wouldn't change a thing. The hotel de l'Abbaye, the location and it's lovely, friendly staff are the closest thing to perfection that I have ever experienced in the hotel world.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

The location is great, next to the metro station Saint-Suplice. There is a bakery in the same block and walking a few blocks there are great cafes, shops and restaurants. The atmosphere is cozy decorated in classic style. The cleaning is great and the service is very good. Everyone is very friendly and available to answer any questions of tourists who do not understand well the French language. Did not like the bathroom of the box that allows the bathroom floor is wet the bath. There is no minibar in the rooms. We go on our next trip and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Good location, within walking distance, of fine restaurants and cafes in St-Germain-des-Pres, in the lively left bank.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I traveled with my friend to Paris May 7-10 2009 and I was tasked with finding the hotel. There are only about 1,500 to choose from! I was reading "Paris For Dummies" and the author rated this hotel as one of his favorites. So, I booked it! I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. STAFF: The staff was so friendly and courteous from the moment we walked in to the moment we checked out. ROOM: Our room was the "Classic Room". It was a medium sized room with charming linens and drapes. There were 2 twin sized beds pushed very close together but I still feel like we had ample room. We each had our own closet to hang our clothes and there was an additional closet with the safe and extra storage. The bathroom was fantastic - very modern and comfortable and with shelves to hold our toiletries. There was NOT an iron or ironing board - but the hotel does offer clothes pressing service. There was a hair dryer. AND, there is FREE WI-FI internet access which is a nice added bonus. FOOD: Our stay included breakfast which we ate outside in the wonderful garden. Our breakfast was coffee or tea, fresh squeezed blood orange juice, and an assortment of croissants and rolls with jams. LOCATION: the location is perfect! The St. Sulpice metro station is a block away - this was the cheapest and easiest way to get to Paris - this train takes you to the Chatelet stop in Paris which is a block or two away from the Seine. The hotel is also near the Jardins du Luxembourg which were absolutely beautiful. The area was a very nice, chic area of Paris. We felt very safe there as well. PRICE: our room cost us each approx $150 USD/night. It was well worth it - the hotel is so charming and exquisite and the location is just right. OVERALL: I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat - it was such a positive, wonderful experience. Our host, Midi (not sure how to spell his name was FANTASTIC. If anyone ever tells you that the French people are not nice, they are WRONG. Everyone at this hotel was wonderful!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends