“I Almost Don't Want Anyone Else To Know About This Gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de l'Abbaye Saint-Germain

Hotel de l'Abbaye Saint-Germain
Ranked #139 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
walnut creek, ca
“I Almost Don't Want Anyone Else To Know About This Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2005

What a charming, wonderful hotel. A friendly attentive staff, beautifully decorated rooms, a comfortable common area. We toured France and Italy for three weeks and found this hotel to be the all-around best value and comfort anywhere.

11 Thank amp94596

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2005

We stayed at this hotel from Nov 19-23. This is a great little boutique hotel. Very friendly staff. All speak English. Unlike most Paris hotels they include breakfast in the room cost. The breakfast is juice, coffee and pastries served by a wonderful hard working man in a nice glassed in garden room. The only negative on this hotel was our bed which was a double made up of 2 very short singles pushed together and made up individually. So it was like being in seperate beds. Seemed a little strange. The rooms are teeny but most are in Paris. The bathroom adequate. Every thing spotless. And very important: it is totally quiet. We would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Texian
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2005

We stayed at L'Abbaye for 7 nights in Mid-November, 2005. We really liked it's quiet location near Luxembourg Gardens in the 6eme. The entrance and the public rooms are charming. The staff is among the friendliest that we have ever dealt with in Paris.

The standard room @ 199E is miniscule, and the carpet in our room, number 20, was badly stained along the foot of the beds (as it turns out, the only place you can really "walk" inside the room.) The bathroom was adequate and kept meticulously clean.

The daily petit dejeuner that comes included with the price of the room became a bit boring and repetitive after a few days, although the room/s in which it is served are lovely. The breakfast consisted of coffee/tea, orange juice and a small basket of bread (baguette, croissant, sweet roll). The addition of fruit and/or yogurt would be a real plus.

Although we enjoyed our stay, we will probably look elsewhere when we return next year, possibly an apartment.

10 Thank livetotravel
cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2005

My wife, i and another couple stayed at this wonderful small hotel. wonderful and helpful staff. Nova and Nicole are 2 that i remember. great location for dining, shopping, and walking to museums. very near a metro stop.We were in room 30 which overlooked the courtyard and mostly quiet. very nice but small, as expected. our friends were in room 49 which was a slightly bigger though faced towards the street which is a little noisier. Tasty continental breakfast with strong coffee. very good value at 199 euros inclusive of taxes and breakfast. We would definitely stay here again.
With regards to the language, we had no problems if you tried a to speak a little french. everyone appreciated that we tried.
Internet access: the hotel is wifi. the fee is 25 euros for 24 hours of use. also, there is a computer on the first floor which does not have a fee.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank hdwc
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2005

It's the quintissential boutique hotel. Absolutely perfect location. Small, but cute clean rooms. Breakfast included on a closed in patio -- basket of yummy baked goods, fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee. The staff were great. Would definitely stay there again.

5 Thank BayArea3
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2005

I have only one less-than-positive thing to say about the Hotel de l’Abbaye, which is that the standard rooms are, as other reviewers have mentioned, very small. I stayed by myself in a standard double (Room 31), and, while it was adequate as a single, I wouldn’t have wanted to stay there with another person. On the plus side, the room was quiet and dark at night, the bed was comfortable, there was ample light for reading in bed (which was a good thing, since there was really nowhere else in the room to sit and read), and the bathroom was spotlessly clean, modern, and a decent size.

Apart from the room size, I loved everything about the l’Abbaye. The public areas are beautiful. Even though it was too cold when I was there to eat breakfast in the garden, the glassed-in breakfast area that looks out on the garden is lovely (and several copies of the International Herald Tribune are provided every morning, so I was always able to snag a copy, no matter how many other American guests were eating breakfast at the same time). The wood-burning fire in the lobby looked so welcoming when I came back to the hotel late one afternoon, chilled after a long day of sightseeing in the Parisian drizzle, that I brought my travel journal down to the lobby and wrote up my notes on the day while sitting in front of the fireplace.

I found the staff at the l’Abbaye to be uniformly helpful and fluent in English. When I arrived, at 11 a.m., my room wasn’t ready yet, so the desk clerk suggested that I wait in the breakfast room (where breakfast was still being served to late risers) and order breakfast if I wanted to, which I gratefully did. (Breakfast was included in my room rate and, even though breakfast on the day of arrival was, in effect, a bonus breakfast, no extra charge was made.) And when I asked another desk clerk to find a street address for me one day (having misplaced the address of a store I wanted to visit), he not only found it immediately but printed out an internet map of the neighborhood for me.

Bottom line: if your budget runs to one of the larger rooms at the Hotel de l’Abbaye, don’t hesitate to book a room there. If you can only swing one of the standard rooms, then whether the hotel is a good fit for you depends on how important the size of the room is to you, and whether you’re willing to put up with tight quarters in exchange for all the other good qualities I’ve mentioned.

• Stayed November 2005
18 Thank Bree140
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2005

I stayed here with my husband and daughter in mid Sep 05. We were here for 6 nights and found it to be a great location, yet very quiet (we all slept in first morning and had to rush off to a pre booked tour - staff provided us with breakfast on the run!). There were lots of shops nearby (for me) and Luxembourg gardens a short walk away (for my husband and 11 yr old daughter). We also walked to Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre with not much effort. The food was simple, rooms clean, and service was polite, friendly and helpful. The concierge directed us to a delightful restaurant for dinner. Yes, I would do it all again.

The people complaining about bookings and not getting a room should just take note to book earlier, they're just bitter.

• Stayed September 2005