“Eerie underground Tomb for hundreds”

The Catacombs of Paris
Book In Advance
More Info
US$95.14*
and up
Catacombs of Paris Skip-the-Line Tour with...
Ranked #190 of 1,864 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A genuine labyrinth in the heart of underground Paris, the Catacombs were fitted out in the galleries of former quarries. Twenty metres underground, the ossuary houses the remains of approximately six million Parisians, gradually transferred between the end of the 18th century and the mid 19th century, as the capital's cemeteries were closed for health reasons. Along a tangle of dark galleries, visitors discover a presentation of death with bones arranged in a romantic macabre decor. This unique site is a moving testimony to the history of Parisians and invites visitors on a timeless journey.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Beneath the earth, you can travel to a resting place for thousands. Make sure you have decent walking shoes because of the stairs going up and down. The walkway is dirt and dimly lit as well. The line can get quite long so I would recommend doing this first thing in the morning because the line was an hour or more and we got into line 30 minutes before they opened. They can only allow a certain amount of people down at a time so it can be quite busy. It is creepy but not scary. They have workers down there just in case you need anything. It is pretty wide open as well so there are no really closed in spaces. it is also a little cool down there. It was very interesting to see because of the history. It was amazing how it kept going. I would recommend going but I was hoping we had more of a guide to tell us about the history.

1  Thank Kimberly W
Write a ReviewReviews (6,665)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"eiffel tower"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The catacombs were both eerie and educational. We bought the audio tour and it helped to listen in English to the narrators as you walk through. It is quite beautiful at times while reminding you of mortality. There are about 100 spiral stairs up and down with lots of walking.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Cool place to visit but I just want to advise you to buy your tickets in advance online if you can. We waited 4 hrs in line because people that had purchased their tickets online had priority.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I purchased Skip the Line tickets with Audio from Get Your Guide and it was very easy to walk down the street from the Catacombs to the Tubac du Lion and pick up our tickets, after showing our voucher. We then had only a 15 minute wait at 10am, before being allowed into the catacombs. They were so much better than we even expected! So interesting and I found it almost touching, how lovingly placed and displayed the bones and skulls were.

This was my second most favorite thing in Paris and I'm so thrilled that the strike ended a few days before our ticket date, so we could get inside. Everyone said how cold it would be in the catacombs, but it was in the 60s (farenheit) and I found it pleasant - not cold. We spent about 1-1/2 hours going through them at a leisurely pace. I did not feel claustrophobic either - the tunnels had plenty of room to walk around and the roof is high enough above you.

1  Thank MariaBCalifornia