“Excellent Macarons” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A la Mere de Famille

A la Mere de Famille
Ranked #43 of 640 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular candy store, which has been open since the 1700s, has a historic ambience to go along with its wonderful sweets.
Canada
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Excellent Macarons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We walked by this shop frequently and I must say that it has an attractive pull of years gone by. The inside is a feast for the eyes, a wonderland for a child at heart.

We left with an assortment of great sweets and were pleasantly surprised of two things. The first is that not everything is sugary over-sweet, the fruit treats taste like the fruit they contain. The second, their macarons have to be, in our opinion, the best macarons we had.... lightly crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and very fresh.

This is a real treat of a shop.

Visited May 2013

117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Authentic and delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

I was here yesterday with my 2 teenage nieces. The shop is a delightful old building which looks like it has been maintained but not renovated since the early 1900s. The business dates back to 1761. The floor tile and shop furniture are delightful. The cash is in a little cabin like a post office. Lots of home made marzipan and chocolate and macaroons with natural coloring. We bough a selection of the signature marzipan with fruit flavored icing and a rose cake to share with the family. They also have home made ice cream & ice cream cakes. The only downside was no tea shop attached but there is a delightful cafe close by. Skip Ladure which seems as ubiquitous as McDonalds now and head straight here instead for a signature experience. Not cheap but well priced for artisanal hand made product.

3 Thank Roadbirds
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ignore bad reviews this place is great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

This shop is lovely - I used to live in Paris as a student which is when I first discovered this wonderful shop - I recently went back and was so happy to find the same excellent standard. Anyone saying the chocolates are not up to scratch does not know good chocolate! The marrons glaces are delicious too, not to mention the glaces fruits! The service is lovely and really the shop is a gem - the district around it may be falling to pieces but this place is still my favourite food shop in Paris!

1 Thank Olivia024
Los Angeles, California
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Not that impressive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

I purchased both some chocolate and pate de fruit to give away as presents along with some for myself. I was not impressed with the quality of either. I just do not know about the quality of the ingredients that they use. The pate de fruit had little to no taste to them at all. Typically they are bursting with fruit. I could have purchased over the counter ones at the market with more flavour. I have to say the same about the chocolate. The taste just was not there. There are so many other better chocolate shops in Paris that I would not return here again.

On top of that the customer service was not that friendly. I am fluent in French so that is not the issue. I did not find the staff to be helpful or friendly. I was on my way to Etoile D'or and started running out of time so stopped here instead. Big mistake.

1 Thank Tikkadog
STEVE D, Directeur général at A la Mere de Famille, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Hello Tikkadog,

Sorry, my english is probably less fluent than your french.
We are really sorry that you didn't like your experience at "A la Mère de famille".
Never the less, be sure we use the best ingredients for our products.
Speaking about the chocolate, we even transform the cocoa in chocolate by ourself. Concerning the fruit pastes, everything is homemade too.
I'm very sad to hear you had a bad experience with the customer service too, we have a geat reputation about that too since 1761.
If you're back in the neighborhood sometime, I hope you'll give us another chance ton convince you.

Best regards,

Steve
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Sniff the chocolate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Even if you're on a diet you can get your chocolate fix just by being in this shop. The air is saturated with cocoa and sweetness. I visited at Christmas so the windows were decked with chocolate bears. Try the small marshmallow filled ones, but don't do as I did and try and help yourself, naughty, naughty. As well as chocolates there are French regional sweeties, marzipan,dried fruits and cakes. Madam takes your payment from the booth, no money sullies the hands of those who serve the chocs.