“Sorry dear, their´s was better than yours.”

Boulangerie Poilane
Ranked #55 of 710 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered by many to be Paris's best bakery.
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We went there specially to get the sourdough bread.

We were greeted very politely, not pushed to anything. When we bought a few slices of the bread it was bagged and weighted with a smile and the payment taken with a smile and a encouracing word. Even supplied a piece of a biscuit to try as we were leaving!

Looked at the loaves on the shelf, tag of € 20+ on them and still a couple of days to get home with it I told my wife to forget it, thus the 10 slices.

But she made me turn back, luckily, and we got a loaf (actual cost 9.30, so I may have to get new specs or learn French proper) with a very big smile, help with packing it in the paper bag and several Have a good days to follow.

Excellent bread but
EVEN BETTER SERVICE for Paris that can be very rude.

2  Thank jari L
"shop"
"parisian"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Never tried sourdough before, but I heard that this was the speciality, having moved in and finished off the other 5 bakeries in the street over the years (they must be doing something right). It had a real artisan feel to it inside, like travelling back in time. The door was open to the back room, where I assume all preparation took place. We'd long since had breakfast, and didn't want to carry a loaf around all day, so we just bought 2 slices of bread to try. We only ate them when we got home, but the bread was absolutely wonderful, and I'm not a big bread fan. It had survived a full day, including flight home, and was still extremely tasty. Mmmmmmmmmm. You MUST go...

Reviewed 13 April 2013

Poilane is tucked away in a maze of streets but make the effort to find it, you wont be disappointed. The place oozes history and passion for the craft.

Grab a half loaf of their famous "Poilane Loaf" (and a bag of Punitions) and make a meal out of it. It will last many and is great the next day toasted with some French butter and a spoon of jam.

I made it my mission to get here my last trip and Im glad I did.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I'd been wanting to try Poilâne since I read about it on David Lebovitz's blog. I tried the apple tart and 4 slices of their famous bread. It was okay but I think I expected to be floored based on all the reviews I had read. The ladies were very nice and all smiles. I think however that I enjoyed the complimentary sable cookie more than what I purchased unfortunately.

1  Thank framboise8
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 January 2013

"so good".."we will never be satisfied eating any other pastry". Am I in a dream? We stopped by in Paris on the way back from the Alps, and as we were near Trocadero, I popped over to the Bd de Grenelle branch and got some croissant, pain chocolat and a 2kg miche. A telling sign that it can't be great local boulangerie - there wasn't a queue out the door. The pastry were okay, but I wouldn't trek across Paris for them. As one Parisian reviewer has written here - I too have had better elsewhere. France is a large country with many boulangeries. My biggest criticisms goes to their iconic miche. When I first read about it in Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, I said to myself I must try that one day. Well that day came and the miche was dry and pretty disappointing in flavour and texture. Maybe the baker had an off day. I know what it's like; I've baked sourdough myself and some days it just doesn't turn out right. Or maybe this branch of Poilane is not as good as the other one. Who knows? A big, big let down for this culinary mecca, but it rather cheered me up and made me think maybe my own bread isn't half bad!

2  Thank Robert K