“Get there at 7:15 a.m. for warm croissants”

Boulangerie Poilane
Ranked #42 of 682 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered by many to be Paris's best bakery.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We start every day (except Sunday when they are closed - darn it!!) with warm croissants and pain au chocolat. We eat them on the way back to our hotel and let all the buttery flakes fall on the streets of Paris. My favorite are the butter croissants. They are so flakey and crispy - and taste like real butter. There is nothing like them - especially when they are still warm from the oven.

We always buy their butter cookies called "punitions." They always have a basket of them on the counter and offer one to you when you purchase something. Take the sample and buy bags of them to take home. They are like potato chips - you cannot eat just one.

Of course, Poilane is known for their hearty, rustic bread. You can buy a whole loaf or any amount of a sliced loaf which they weigh and charge you accordingly. Their bread is delicious.

They have several locations in Paris, which have a staggered closing day of the week. They just opened their second location in London - lucky Londoners!!

3  Thank luvroma2

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Being a sourdough baker myself I had read up on all the best known bakeries in the world & so discovered the lovely story of the Poilane bakery & how it started, the tragic end to it's founder, how his brave young daughter picked up the pIeces & continued to build on that success. They have a number of stores around Paris. The one in Rue Chere-midi has a Cuisine De Bar next door where you can try the open sandwiches etc. great district for all kinds of shopping & browsing - seemed slightly less touristy with more locals when we were there. Also visited the small branch at Blv De Grenelle, where I met a charming local who told me he had been coming to the store since he was five (think he looked around 50??). He insisted I buy the little open apple tarts in the window! I had in fact read about them, as well as the milk tart - despite the bread being the real attraction. He was right! I don't think I could possibly ever top that apple tart & it is worth a special trip to try it! The bread is huge, & priced around 30 Euro - so you are able to buy a few slices - just as you want. Little complimentary butter biscuits at the till to try. Beautiful branded bread knives, linen bread bags for storage etc as mementos for sale. We will be back!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My kids finally experienced Poilane's sublime tart aux pommes and they weren't disappointed. We grabbed a few from the Rue du Cherche Midi location and fortunately got to experience their sit-down location in the Marais - we went back 3x in 5 days and enjoyed every fattening minute

Dont forget to order their Grand cafe creme, aussi!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We went there specially to get the sourdough bread.

We were greeted very politely, not pushed to anything. When we bought a few slices of the bread it was bagged and weighted with a smile and the payment taken with a smile and a encouracing word. Even supplied a piece of a biscuit to try as we were leaving!

Looked at the loaves on the shelf, tag of € 20+ on them and still a couple of days to get home with it I told my wife to forget it, thus the 10 slices.

But she made me turn back, luckily, and we got a loaf (actual cost 9.30, so I may have to get new specs or learn French proper) with a very big smile, help with packing it in the paper bag and several Have a good days to follow.

Excellent bread but
EVEN BETTER SERVICE for Paris that can be very rude.

2  Thank jari L
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Never tried sourdough before, but I heard that this was the speciality, having moved in and finished off the other 5 bakeries in the street over the years (they must be doing something right). It had a real artisan feel to it inside, like travelling back in time. The door was open to the back room, where I assume all preparation took place. We'd long since had breakfast, and didn't want to carry a loaf around all day, so we just bought 2 slices of bread to try. We only ate them when we got home, but the bread was absolutely wonderful, and I'm not a big bread fan. It had survived a full day, including flight home, and was still extremely tasty. Mmmmmmmmmm. You MUST go...