“Old and young boy's dream”

Les Drapeaux de France
Ranked #40 of 740 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Founded in 1949 in the Palais-Royal Gardens of Paris, Les Drapeaux de France have been producing for almost 70 years small-scale figures and tin soldiers in keeping with tradition. With more than 30'000 items available, we can offer one of the largest collection of tin soldiers and small-scale figures in the the world.
Reviewed 17 March 2017

This shop is a treasure trove for anybody who enjoys tin/lead soldiers. As a boy I was given a set of French lead soldiers bought in Paris. I wanted to add some new ones and boy , I was not disappointed. My wife bought me 4 tin soldiers and I am happy with these as when I was 12. This shop is a must to visit. There is a choice of hundreds / thousand items ! The owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.

2  Thank w00dcr0ft
in 7 reviews
"boutique"
"napoleon"

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

My wife and I decided to look at toy soldier shops in Paris as she hadn't yet bought my present! I am a bit of a collector - buying mostly in Hong Kong and London (king and country, the guards museum London and the armoury st James). First looks can be deceiving - it looks a bit disorganised and crammed full of all sorts - but like the best kept secrets there are true gems to be found. Benjamin and the other staff source and sell some of the best most intricate pieces I have ever seen. The napoleonic pieces are to die for - not just French but brits prussians etc. When I spoke to Benjamin it is clear he is at the forefront of the design game and trying to keep the art alive and flourishing. I bought four beautiful standing cavalry pieces and discussed commissioning some more. The prices are high but for the workmanship it's worth it. There is also a great range of mid priced less intricate pieces - and the tintin, circus pieces for children. A true gem of a store and will be the first of many visits. Staff couldn't have been more helpful or engaged. They let you look around unbothered but I would encourage you to reach out and ask for some background on the pieces - only then will you understand the craftsmanship and love in the works! Worth a visit for non collectors, lovers of war films or lovers of beautiful small creations.

2  Thank George T
Reviewed 7 December 2016

While visiting Paris in October, my wife and I stumbled on this boutique by accident. We were having a nightcap in a café next to Comedie Francaise. As we got up to leave I noticed all these miniatures in the window. It was past closing but two people were still in the shop. As one person left the other, Benjamin, said we could come in to look around. What caught my eye was a Tin Tin figure in the window with such an expression, it made me smile and still does. I wanted to see it up close, hold it. I wanted it.

Benjamin was fantastic. He didn't rush us. He pulled out and showed us whatever we wanted to see. This shop is filled with everything a collector would want ~ and virtually dust free. With the amount of collectibles you'd expect them to be covered in dust but not here. It tells me they take pride and have a passion for the things they have.

We traveled with just a backpack as a carry-on and it was full. There was no way Tin Tin would fit in it and there was no way I would send him through baggage. Our only option was to have Benjamin mail it to us but we were flying to New York for a week before heading home to Hawaii. We settled on a date for him to ship it so when I got home, it would arrive a few days later.

Unfortunately it got stuck in customs for about a month but finally made it safely to my home. All the while Benjamin kept checking on the progress and he constantly kept in contact with me through email. He really followed through!

Les Drapeaux de France is a MUST STOP FOR ANYONE, even if you are NOT a collector. I am sure it will bring back nostalgic memories and like me, I am certain it will put a smile on your face.

A WORD OF CAUTION: even if you think you may not buy anything, bring your wallet anyway. Because after what you see, you just may walk out of Les Drapeaux de France with a souvenir, smiling all along the way and thinking, "Boy, am I glad I brought my wallet!"

3  Thank masterspiece
Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

This place is a heaven for all the old/ antique toy collectors, animated movie lover, to see and buy hand made beautiful toy soldiers, miniature heros. The shop has a fantastic atmoshphere, very friendly super nice crew, you have to go to this shop if you are in Paris, it is next to The Louvre, super easy to find!
You will love it : )

1  Thank Sophie T
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

Came across this fantastic little shop while visiting the royal palace , what a lovely little shop it is , so interesting lots of little hand made models made of pewter and resin , to look at . The shop was actually closed as it was Easter , when we walked by we noticed someone inside and tapped on the window and the gentleman inside was kind enough to allow us in. Each item in the store has fantastic craftmenship, and has been hand painted with great detail . Whilst there my parter purchased some Tour de France cyclists in their different colour cycling jerseys , well worth a visit , I had to drag him out the shop !!!

2  Thank Mrs M B