“Awkward but worth it!”

Viator Exclusive: Underground Paris Small-Group Tour
Ranked #158 of 1,275 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fancy a walk well off the beaten track in the French capital? This tour will show you the underside of Paris from Ancient times through to the era of Belgrand, the 19th-century engineer who designed the sewer system in its current form. In the underground tunnels you will learn about the water cycle and all the work of the Paris sewer workers.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I bought the 2-day museum pass so I had to visit a certain number of museums each day. My husband and I walked passed by this little place while walking along the seine river. The entrance of the museum is really weird. A ticket booth with stairs leading visitors down the stairs into the underground.

The museum shows you how fresh and waste water are managed throughout the city. At the latter leg of the touring, the sewer smell was getting pretty strong tho. I'd suggest you bring a towel or napkin so you can cover your nose should the smell gets too strong; however, this experience was so educational and surprisingly fun. I mean, who gets to visit a sewer system underground nowadays? And it's a historic city Paris we are speaking of.

5  Thank Vivian S
in 25 reviews
"equipment"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I do not have strong senses of smell. Thank goodness! We ended up RUNNING out of the sewers due to the horrible smell. Definitely not interesting enough to bother with. We had the museum pass so it thankfully did not hurt our wallets. Skip it!

1  Thank ToriM
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Yea there is a little odor down in the sewer but it is very faint. It is interesting to see how they clean the sewer an how it has all developed

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We did NOT find the sewers very smelly. Instead, they were fascinating! - with only FAKE rats in display cases! The self-guided tour gives you a new appreciation of what is under our feet and of those who work under our cities. The experiences highlights the on-going struggle to supply clean water to people everywhere, not only now, but throughout history.

1  Thank DSparkling
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went in July, hot day, did not smell terrible. Yep, damp, musty, the idea of it flowing just below your feet, but not "Oh my Gawd!" like I've seen in other reviews. Short or no line. Near enough to the Eiffel tower, along the river.

So, basically a bunch of placards that describe the history of organized Parisian sewers through the ages, and describing the mechanisms to clean said sewers, pictures of workers doing the work, and examples of the equipment used, all while walking along a flowing sewer underneath the city streets. Interesting on some level but meh, average at best. Was not not expensive, quick thing to do, learn a little, smelled a little.