“Location and Potential”

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #451 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 October 2013

To cities like Paris which I make frequent visits I tend to change hotels, thus to experience locations in this city where there is no real town center, and helps to recall trips in my memory. I checked into this respectable grande dame of hotels in Paris for its location as well as its bygone Parisian charm. The spiral staircase and the compact but ornate lobby is interesting. My room faces the Palais Royale but insulation is good so that even on second floor it is not noisy. The room is on the small side for a 5* hotel but comfortable and the bath well-equipped. American breakfast at the Brasserie is good. The location is great, not only next to the Louvre but also the Metro stop. It is a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Hotel has 4 side views, the most quiet sleep is room on the courtyard.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

We are very grateful for your positive feedback.
It is a great pleasure to read that you fully experienced our exquisite location in front of the Louvre Museum & the Opéra Garnier.
We look forward to welcoming you again, over your next visit to the City of Lights.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

As my title says for me while in Paris its all about the location as all hotels (at least the 5 star variety) will cost more then most would believe as reasonably possible. However, crazy costs aside you simply can't beat the location of this hotel.

This fact coupled with an amazing staff make this hotel a perennial favorite of mine even if its a little old in the tooth.

If you stay here you MUST imbibe sitting outside and people watch while feasting on Burgundy snails which in my opinion are far and away the best in Paris. Splurge on some champagne (when in Paris be a Parisian) and watch the world stand still.

Doddsy

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us and fellow travellers.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I chose to stay here for my first trip to Paris and I'm glad that I did. First off this is the best location to stay in Paris, especially if its your first trip. It is very centrally located right next to the Louvre and the Seine. All of the major must see's are within walking distance. The hotel is small, but nice. There is a plethora of marble and woods, but the carpets on the oft used staircase could use a redo. The room itself was very nice, but once again small (thats kind of a Paris thing). The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and English was no problem whatsoever. I personally did not partake in the overpriced breakfast, but there are tons of restaurants around (this is Paris so explore!). I did eat one dinner in the hotel restaurant and its was decent. The staff were nice and the food was good but not memorable in any way. I would not have dined here without the 50% discount. Though the Hotel isnt cheap, it was significantly cheaper than the nearest competitor (Hotel Regina) and I was overall very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SoCalTraveller9
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions.
We are delighted to see that our mission of excellence was carried out in every aspect trough your stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel du Louvre, a Hyatt Hotel.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Spectacularly convenient location for tourists .We stayed for three nights, two of which were free through Hyatt awards,so I cannot give a fair rating for value. The hotel is grand, old world, screaming for renovation. I explicitly requested a refurbished room prior to check - in, and was told an upgraded redone room (2nd floor) would be ready at 3:00. We had a rental car to return and the two concierges were fantastic helping us locate and negotiate this near fiasco. Returning at 3:15, a different receptionist said our original room was still not ready, but would give us an equivalent room on the 1st floor. My unhappy suspicions were confirmed when we entered a dark, dumpy room with a murderous bathroom. Back to the lobby to duke it out with this adversarial employee who finally turned the matter over to his superior, who was well trained in hospitality. The next room (#271) was fresh and light with a lovely modern bath. We had a view of La Comedie Francaise, but street noise was muted by a double set of large windows. Gazing out became a charming pastime. Turn-down service was a unanticipated surprise, and overall service was better than the Hyatt Regency we frequent in the U.S. It's obvious the range of experience at the Hotel du Louvre varies greatly depending on the room and the price. I hope to return soon and find it restored to its glory.

Room Tip: Insist on a room which has recently been refurbished
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.
We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in Paris.
Concerning the rooms, we would like you to know that most of them are unique and benefit from individual touches and exceptional views.
Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupations. I thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.
We would be happy to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights during short break in Paris dedicated to my wife's birthday. First thing you have to be aware: hotel has unbeatable location between Louvre and Palais Royal right in the heart of 1st district at the same time this fact causes the issue for those arriving by car - they do not have any kind of parking at all in front of the main entrance. When we arrived I was forced to leave my car right on the pedestrian crossing, I did ask front desk about any options and was told that no options are available and for check in I can leave the car where it is - very strange for 5 star hotel. We arrived around 13.30, check in was fast, however we were asked to wait till official check in time (15.00) to be able to enter the room at the end I was able to negotiate 14.30 - again strange for 5 star hotel which was far from being fully booked at the time of our stay. We were give room on the 4th floor - which was very nice, very Parisian - with french doors windows in the room and bathroom - so lovely and adding proper atmoshere. Room is quite spacious by Paris standards with great views over Palais Royal/Comedy Francais and Opera Garnier at the back. The bathroom was really big with another french window and french balcony. Room is clean, furniture is of good quality while somewhat tired - so refurbishing would be great option. We did ave very nice walk in closet in the room - very convenient. All room amenities you would expect form 5 star hotel are in place, in bath they offer high quality products for Annick Goutal - very nice touch. Wi-Fi is free in all areas of the hotel incl. rooms - which is great advantage. What surprised me a bit where uncomfortable artificial pillows. At the same time on my request they qucikly brought down and feather pillow instead. Bed is just OK, nothing speacial and definitely uncomparable with Sofitel My Bed. Public areas of the hotel are very nice and well maintained at the same time not always 100% clean (e.g. entrance doors to restaurant and hotel, windows in public areas were quite dirty). We did have breakfast included in our room rate - it was very good with wide variety, although the service was on the slow side (sometimes we did have to repeat several times for the order to be brought) - seems that they are slightly understaffed for the number of guests attending breakfast. As we did stay exactly on my wife's birthday I did ask for the small gift/surprise from the hotel - to hotel's credit they made very nice birthday chocolate cake (and what is more important extremely tasteful!) and brought it togetehr with greeting postcard to our room - it was pleasant and nice touch. One thing which left unclear for me is why hotel has 5 star rating. We did stay in Francois 1er previous time (see my review) and that hotel although officially 4 stars is better in all terms. While public areas of the Hotel du Louvre are really wonderful, well maintained and with great ambiance, rooms, although beying pretty nice, definitely need some knid of refurbishment and Hyatt who recently bought this property has to think about this. At the same time overall we definitely enjoyed our stay in this property and can recommend it for fantastic location, great views and real Parisian charm.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VitaliyS

Thank you for having taken the time to leave a comment about our hotel.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Paris.
I will definitely share your remarks with the Heads of Department concerned and appropriate actions will be taken, in order to avoid such issues in the future, especially in regards to your comments regarding your arrival at the hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have stayed at Hotel du Louvre with our two kids for a weekend. I chose the hotel due to the location and being a Hyatt hotel. The location was superb, the service good but the hotel is not renovated for many many years. It seemed like we were in the 30s-40s.. The carpet was old as well as all the furniture, does not meet at all Hyatt Hotels standards. We were really disappointed. The personnel was doing his best to please us. Not to mention the price which was irrelevant for a hotel at this condition, not being a 5 star at all! The breakfast served at the room with poor presentation, mixed cutlery, basic..Last thing to refer to was the noise from the subway which did not let my husband to sleep well at night..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel, and especially our fabulous location.
However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning your room and the breakfast. I thank you for helping us to improve the quality of our service.
I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel du Louvre, a Hyatt Hotel.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We enjoyed our 5 nite stay ONLY because we paid to upgrade to an executive king suite because the original deluxe room we booked was small and looked really tired and sad. This larger room was spacious but was still a bit old. The hotel has been taken over by Hyatt and needs refurbishment, however our spacious room overlooked the palais royal and we felt like we were living there! ( which we dream about) , great cafés and restaurants abound. Good breakfast deal for 19euro per person. Great location , free internet , helpful concierge who helped us organise and book SNCF tickets. That's why it still rates 4 stars

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for having taken the time to write a comment following your recent stay in Paris.
As you rightly mention, the Hotel du Louvre possesses an ideal location for shopping and sightseeing.
We have taken goog note of your remarks. I thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.
We would be happy to welcome you again soon,