“Something is lacking”

GreenLeadersGold level
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Something is lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Hotel "Du Louvre" must surely occupy one of the best locations in Paris: close to the Louvre museum, the Seine, the Opera, the prestigious shopping street rue St. Honoré. It has been one of our favourite hotels for years, and we had wondered whether it would have changed, after being made part of the Hyatt chain. Would it all have been spruced up beyond recognition, plasticised, without any personality?
First the good news. It is still a very Parisian hotel, with creaking floors in the corridors, the familiar rumble of the metro still audible, a few of the toiletries still by Paris perfume maker Annick Goutal. Staff at reception were still friendly and efficient, and our luggage was brought up within minutes.
But something seemed to be lacking. We had a very good room, with a view of rue de Rivoli. But there was nothing that made us feel welcome. No reading matter (not even one of those advertising magazines), not even one small bottle of complimentary mineral water, not a single flower, nothing. Just a bare room. A very good bathroom, but those wonderful Annick Goutal toiletries seem to be on their way out. Turn down service had the same characteristics: nothing extra. No note with the weather forecast, no little chocolate, nothing. We've stayed in much cheaper hotels, that tried much harder to give us the feeling of being valued guests. Remember: this is supposed to be a five star hotel!
Staff in the bar were rude, as always. Was that a good sign, or a bad sign? The nuts that came with our glass of champagne, were very hard and musty; we thought that was different from our last time.
But our dinner in the Brasserie was better than ever. The food was good, and staff were really excellent: very friendly, hugely professional. My sole à la meunière was filleted for me, and not even a millimetre of bone had stayed behind. (Better than in many a Michelin starred restaurant I've visited!) Breakfast was also good; I enjoyed the fresh Bircher Benner muesli.
Will we still go to Hotel Du Louvre, the next time we are in Paris? The location in unsurpassable, so we might. But it isn't a matter of course, any more.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hawet
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a review following your last stay with us.
First of all, we would like to thank you for being so trustful to the Hotel du Louvre over the years. Please be sure the we are going to tell our Chef and our restaurant's staff about your kind words which are for us the best reward.
Concerning the amenities in the room, we are deeply sorry to read that you didn't feel welcome. We tnak you for these comments that are helping us improve our quality of service.
We hope to welcome you back again in Paris !
Fanny Guibouret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I had promised Hotel du Louvre's General Manager a review and must not disappoint her.

My wife and my stay at this property was broadly satisfactory, up until the point of checkout. Indeed the rooms were somewhat old and tired, but I understand that the property is due for a full renovation soon.

Our problem arose when, having paid the bill, the front desk informed us that our car, left the evening before with the hotel valet, had been towed away!!!

The hotel did take the necessary steps to retrieve the vehicle, but not at a loss of hours of our time during our Christmas holiday. Had we been headed to the airport for a flight, there is no question that we would have missed it. Yet it was no consolation that an entire afternoon schedule for ourselves and the owner of the car (a family member) was ruined due to the negligence of this hotel.

Service Recovery: The front desk manager took the step of waiving the charges for our single night stay, which I certainly appreciated.

Some may well feel that this was sufficient compensation, including the General Manager of Hotel du Louvre. I had suggested that the hotel credit to my Gold Passport account some additional points which I would use to give a night's stay to my family member whose car the hotel had towed away, and would have been well satisfied had they done so. However, this suggestion was declined by the GM in a haughty tone, which she implied that they had already done quite enough.

I tend to think that good customer service involves keeping a customer happy - particularly in situations of blatant negligence. This hotel's management disagrees, and needless to say, we won't be coming back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank milehighj
Thank you very much for your comment.
We sincerely regret for not having met your expectations and for not been able to repair the inconveniences encountered.
We do hold the greatest importance to up keeping high guest service levels and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention in order to help us follow up.
We do hope for an opportunity to welcome you again to our hotel under better circumstances.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my close friend. I booked my reservation with Hyatt points, and I was extremely satisfied with what I got in return!

The location is absolutely first class. It is RIGHT next to the Louvre! I speak French so it was very easy to communicate with the staff, although they all speak perfect English. Very easy to find off the metro (Palais Royale-Musée du Louvre) take exit 4, it will bring you out right next to the hotel!

I was received by a very nice receptionist upon check-in, who stored our bags while we waited for our room (we checked-in around 11, check-in is at 15:00). We came back at 15:15 and our room wasn't quite ready yet...the receptionist said about 10 minutes further. It was no problem for us, but he was extremely friendly and took us the bar/lounge and bought us a coffee! We waited probably 10 minutes maximum, and then we were off to our room.

We did have to wait at least 30 minutes for our luggage, and it wasn't until I went downstairs and asked for it, that they were delivered to our room (no problem at all for us though, just needed to get our stuff!).

The room was beautiful. It overlooked the square outside the Louvre, and we had nice French doors that provided a nice way to get some air and overlook the Louvre and Paris! The amenities were first class. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was wonderful!

My friend has an intolerance to Gluten, and the staff at the restaurant and the concierge were extremely accommodating, providing good suggestions, alternatives, and recommendations for food and restaurants. The staff was excellent at this hotel.

On our final day, we checked-out and the staff held our luggage for the rest of the day, so that we could sightsee and not have to carry our luggage around.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris M
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment following your recent stay with us.
Concerning your arrival at the hotel, please be sure that we are doing our best to give yoou your room at 3pm. That said, we are pleased to read that you enjoyed our fabulous location and our services, from the amenities to our restaurant.
We would be happy to welcome you back again soon !
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Being my first time to Paris, I have to say it was a little hard to get used to how small the rooms are, but who really cares!? Other than sleeping and showering, my wife and I were hardly ever at the hotel. We only spent two nights at this hotel as I was primarily there for business and we had to move South towards Antony for my meetings.

The staff at this location were very friendly (typical of the Hyatt standards) and the hotel was kept very clean. Even with the rooms being on the small side, they were still well appointed and comfortable.

The location was great...right next to the Louvre, walking distance to the major train station Chalet de Halles and a great view from the front of the hotel down to the Opera Garnier. We walked just about everywhere as that is the best way to take in the city. This hotel puts you in a prime location to get to Notre Dame, Montmare, Eiffel Tower etc... Plenty of places to grab a quick bite and take it all in.

Again, the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of this hotel and the location make it a place to consider for a day or a week while in the city.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wardsntx
Thank you very much for your review and for recommending us to other travellers.
As you righly put it, you can sometimes be surprised by the Parisian standards when you are used to the American ones in terms of room sizes ! That said, we are truly focused on giving you a true parisian experience by providing rooms with a typical french décor and first class amenities like the Fragonnard toiletries.
We would like to really thank you for your kind comments about our staff and would be happy to welcome you again soon in Paris !
Warm regards,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Outstanding stay in Paris at historic Hotel du Louvre! Great service, excellent concierge, beautifully clean rooms, and good food! The location is the best in the city! An easy walk to The Louvre, Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, etc., but it is the people at this hotel that make it so special. They really care about their guests. There was no request too small for them to take care of for us.They made us feel at home! It was a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: To my knowledge there was no pool or spa. Rooms on the side by The Louvre are quiet and the view is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review and your nice comments about our staff.
Be sure that I will tell them about your compliments. Your words are for us the best reward and we would be please to welcome you once again in the heart of Paris !
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel du Louvre and had a great stay. The front desk and resturant staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms could use a bit of sprucing up, but I had a 5th floor room on the Louvre side of the hotel with a small balcony. It is a bit loud because of the central location, but it was close to a number of famous sites and close to the start of the Paris marathon, which was the reason I was in Paris. Overall, a great experience and a good place to stay when visiting Paris.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Fanny G, Directeur général at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
First of all, we hope that you had a great time in Paris during the marathon. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our fabulous location in front of the Louvre Museum.
We would be happy to welcome you again next year for Paris Marathon !
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had an amazing time here. The service was excellent. I would not ask the concierge for recommendations on restaurants he told us to go to a very crapy place. It seems they recommend affiliated businesses.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lyly0714
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us.
We are happy to read that you created long-lasting memories while staying with us. However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning our Concierge's recommendations. We would like to apologize for not having met your expectations. Please, be sure that our Concierge team always try to make the best recommendations to ensure you the finest experiences.
We would be happy to welcome you bak again in Paris !