“Out of date and disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #404 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Out of date and disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for one night during a recent trip that also included stays in London and Rome. The Hotel de Louvre was by far the worst hotel that we stayed in, and was more expensive than some of the other nicer hotels. The rooms are tiny and incredibly worn. The hotel is in desperate need of updating. If you look at the room doors, they did a very poor job cutting old locks out of the wood to put in the electronic door openers. That sort of sums up the hotel -- just not worth the price in any way. We had breakfast included, and it was also not of the same quality of the other hotels that we stayed in. The hotel staff were fine, but I will point out that it was very irritating to check-in on a Monday in the early evening for one night, to be given free Louvre tickets, only to find out at the Louvre the next time (and not from hotel staff) that the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays.

The only reason I'm giving this hotel 2 stars is because of location. It was the most disappointing night of our 7 night vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CanAmTraveler
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment further to your stay.
I am sorry about your disappointment which is obviously not the image I wish that you retain of your recent experience with us.
I am sorry that the room allocated on this occasion did not meet your needs. We have a wide variety of rooms and suites available, we would be happy to help you pick the perfect room for a future stay.
Concerning the breakfast, we have also taken good not of your remarks : I will definitely share your remarks with our Food & Beverage Team in order to improve our quality of service.
Please, be sure that we would be happy to welcome you again to provide you a better experience.
Fanny Guibouret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hyatt should be deeply ashamed of this hotel, or at least what we have seen of it so far. We arrived before 2pm and were told that check-in was at 3 but that our room should be ready by then. Fair enough, we went off to have some lunch and returned at 5 minutes past 3. We were then told that house keeping was just checking our room and that it would be ready in a few minutes and they would let us know (several others were told the same thing). We stood in full view of the desk and waited. At 3.30 no-one had called us over and so we checked again, and yes our room was now ready.

we opened the door and were faced with one of the smallest King rooms I have ever seen and so poorly appointed. This hotel is billed as refurbished (they tell this to travel agents to promote the hotel - our travel agent is also my partners daughter so we know what the agents are told). This was a consideration when booking this hotel but this room has not been updated for many years. In fact the vanity in the bathroom is cracked and the wood work looks like it has decades of accumulated layers of paint. The bathroom door will not shut.

If we had known of the poor standard of rooms in this hotel we would not have booked here no matter how good the location. It is a disgrace. I have stayed in some excellent Hyatts around the world but this place does not make the grade.

We have also just discovered there are spotlights on the wall outside our window presumably to light the facade in the evening. I hope not, as that would be the last straw.

We have complained and we have been told that they will move us to a nicer room tomorrow (but not today). We will see what happens but I am not holding my breath. They readily admitted that this room was substandard so I don't understand why it is being used in the first place and why we were stuck with it when we booked many months ago, not just yesterday. The complementary wine and biscuits are no compensation.

Room Tip: Have the booking specify a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chris O
Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay in our hotel.
We apologize for the level of service you experienced on this occasion and will indeed be following up in all areas mentioned, especially concerning the condition of your room. We do hold the greatest importance to up keeping high guest service levels and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention in order to help us follow up.
We do hope for an opportunity to welcome you again to our hotel under better circumstances.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I was fine with the hotel, but wow the room was so small, i stayed busy in the city, so i only slept here, i liked the area, it was so close to everything, i would stay again. I did have my own bathroom which was so nice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Chicago2772
Thank you for your comment following your stay with us.
We are happy to read that you would like to stay with us again ! Do not hesitate to have a look on our website to see the different roomtypes that we offer.
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

5 stars hotel. Great hotel in what it could be the best location if you're in a tourist trip to Paris.
Metro is around the corner. <<Musée du Louvre>> is across the street. <<La Seine>> river is a couple of minutes away on foot. I can go on and on, but the point is everything seems to be well located and easily reachable from this location.
Now, I won't give it an "Excellent" overall review because the hotel needs to be upgraded. It looks a little bit outdated, and even when that could be the idea behind this hotel it could use some work to give it a fresher look.
When we arrived the check-in was immediate. Got to the room and surprise: two single beds, even when I asked for a king bed when I made the reservation. Also, there was a problem with the sink. These issues were quickly fixed while me and my wife took a walk in the near-by's. When we got back, we had a gift and a letter from the hotel manager apologizing for the inconvenience. To me, that's the kind of service you're expecting from anyone when you're the customer, and this place staff knows how to take care of their customers.
All in all, I really liked the hotel and couldn't ask for a better location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CR_Traveler2008
Thank you very much for this genuine review following your stay with us.
As you rightly put it, we have one of the best loactions in Paris, located in the middle of the most famous cultural sights.
Concerning the hotel, please note that renovations are scheduled for 2015. They Hotel du Louvre won't close during these renovations and will continue to provide a 5-star service to its guests.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon !
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. Great location! It is half a block from the Louvre and we were able to walk everywhere. Public transit is conveniently located at the door. Concierge staff were very helpful and helped book tours for us.

Our room was located on the top - 5th - floor. It was very small and very basic. (A bit disappointing for a Hyatt. We had used Hyatt points to book the room and there were no choices on the type of room we could choose - the allocated rooms for point users were not even included in the regular room choices had we booked a nonpoint room.) We had a beautiful view from our bathroom up Av de L'Opera. The bathroom had been updated and was very pretty. (Unfortunately, the tub was not well designed for showers and we flooded the floor every time.) Linens in the bathroom and bedroom were luxurious, including plush robe and slippers.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and the location can't be beat!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda F
Thank you very much for you comment following your stay with us.
It is always a pleasure to have a feedback from guest who are loyal to Hyatt. Be sure that we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the rooms that you can book with your Gold Passport points.
Your feedback is really important for us and helps to improve our quality of service.
Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel with my family. Hotel location is great. Check in was fast; hotel staff are always willing to help.

The downside: I requested a 1 bed (king or queen bed) prior to my arrival, instead i got 2 single bed attached together.
First room given to us- room has an old carpet smell and the air conditioning was not working well. After I told them I could not stand the smell, they moved us to another room, better than the first.
My 3adult kids are staying in a 1room with 2 beds and 1 extra bed - no enough space for 3 luggage to open.
No free coffee, wi fi is only for 24 hrs - that's how I understand it when I logged in.
this hotel needs some upgrade.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank anritaa
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank your very much for taking the time to share your impressions during your stay with us.
We are happy to read that you are enjoying family time with us.
Nevertheless, I took good note about your comments. I thank you for bringing these matters to our attention, they will help us to improve our quality to the level you would expect from our hotel.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We are currently staying at this hotel for 4 nights in Paris. Staff is exceptionally pleasant and very accommodating.

Regarding location we could not ask for a better place. A minute away from the Louvre, 10 min. walk to the Opera House, the Seine River and the gardens.

We are glad we chose this hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Amanda K
Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a review following your stay with us.
As you rightly put it, our location is perfect for someone who wants to discover the beauties of Paris.
We would be happy to welcome you back again.