“It's a night mare to stay in this hotel”
Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #411 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, United Kingdom
“It's a night mare to stay in this hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I just stayed in a suite of this hotel and my experience is terrible. First, the photos in the hotel website is a far cry from the actual room. The room is very outdated, the sofa is covered with dust, the tv is only 20 inch, the bedroom is very dark as there's only 3 small lamp, and the desk is broken. Second, the toilet bowl is separate d from the bathroom which is very odd and inconvenient. Besides, the water is very unstable, sometimes it's hot but sometimes it's turned cold. Third, there's no coffee or tea machine which is a Hyatt standard. Four, the wall is not sound proof so it's noisy at night. Five, it charges ?570 a night for my suite but it's definitely a 3 star hotel at most instead of a 5 star hotel as it claims, thus, it's very pricey. Finally, the service is slow as I have to wait over 20 minutes before I can check out today. Conclusions: think twice before you book this hotel.

5 Thank huskyus
Fanny G, Directeur général at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay.
Concerning the room, we would like you to know that the Hotel du Louvre is a typical XIX century building. Every room is singular and to provide our clients the best services, all our rooms are being renovated.
We do hope for an opportunity to welcome you again to our hotel under better circumstances.
Fanny Guibouret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
West Hollywood, California, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Okay, you’ve packed your bags, had your body scanned, slept on a plane & tried to decompress. You’re finally here. The most toured city in the word. Paris never disappoints.
Now what? No matter how many books you read, travel agents you talk to & people you know at your destination time is short & every minute counts once you are there. EXPERT advice is vital. Picking hotels knowledgeable people is the #1n thing you can do to make your trip a success. That’s why you should know about Carmello Helguera at Hotel du Louvre. My Parisian family is still talking about the table Carmello booked for us in the Marias. When a restaurant I’d been going to for years closed, Carmello knew where the chef was now. When I needed teas to take home Carmello knew which tea palace would have the best collection. When I needed a facial Carmello sent me to the right spa. Traveling with my mom meant she wanted to do a few tourist things. Carmello explained how to avoid the lines at the Louvre & get in the back door through the underground tunnel. This tip alone saved us hours. Carmello put mom & I on a Seine dinner cruise that served great wine for half the money everyone else advertised. Carmello even told us what time of day to go to specific local attraction to avoid the rush. Carmello told me where to buy the best flowers to take to a dinner party & the best place to buy chocolates for my picky husband. If all this weren’t enough Carmello even helped my French family chose a place for lunch when they called him from home. Carmello Helguera saved me time, money & aggravation daily. I will come back to the Hotel du Louvre because of Carmello Helguera again and again!

FYI: Hotel du Louvre is situated in an incredible location. The staff is exceptional. The restaurants are delicious. The lobby bar makes great chocolate martinis. This unpretentious establishment is all about refined elegance wrapped in old world charm. The beds are dreamy. The bathrooms & showers are larger than most Parisian fare. Instead of ripping out all the original style to modernize Hotel du Louvre upgraded quarters to transport you to a wonderful Parisian experience. I love this hotel!

Room Tip: Face the big square in the back for an exceptional view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann P
Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave such a beautiful review !
Be sure that I will tell Carmelo about your kind words.
We would be happy to welcome you back again very soon.
Singapore
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location is awesome, with all the key tourist spots around the corners (and yes, I walked around Paris city. You should really consider doing so, this is really the best way to explore the city).

As this is a Hyatt Hotel - you can only expect top class service and I had that. This is definitely a 5 stars standard. The concierge gave us a few good recommendations for food too. There is also a Monoprix nearby, a local supermarket for really nice chocolate/biscuit etc.

I hope the management will invest to renovate this hotel a little bit. I certainly think a Hyatt hotel should have much better interior etc. You definitely don't get the "wow" feeling with the interior.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pwl17
Fanny G, Directeur général at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
I am delighted to read you enjoyed our location and the dedication of our team.
We already look forward to welcoming you again in the heart of Paris !
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Pro: Location. That's the only thing I enjoyed about this place. And to me, it's worth a lot that's why I give this place 3 star, simply on it's location. It's right next to the Louvre (of course). The Louvre is closed on Mondays so we took a stroll in the courtyard while nobody was there after breakfast and it was a nice treat since it was right across the street. We also got some great pictures without tons of other tourist behind us. The next day when we actually wanted to go into the museum we had no line because we found an entrance from the direction of the hotel most of the other museum guests didn't know about.

In addition, we found "little Tokyo" a few blocks away with a restaurant that made udon noddles from scratch right in front of us.

We were able to walk to Notre Dame and along the river and there were tons of cafés to eat breakfast lunch and dinner in around the hotel.

Yes the location was great.

Cons: for $500+/night I'd expect more. We asked for a King bed and had two beds pushed together.

The rooms were small and dated.

Side notes:
We never ate in the hotel for a few reasons, 1 the menu did not look appealing and was very over priced but I understand that menus can change so I didn't want to make that a Con. What was great was there were tons of Cafés around and we preferred to eat there anyways and be with the locals and also save a few bucks.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Brit S
Fanny G, Directeur général at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your review.
We are sorry to read that your allocated room was not to your liking. We try to do our best to honour every request, and would like you to know that every room of the Hotel du Louvre is unique. We are displaying on our website examples of every roomtypes.
However, we are glad to hear you have enjoyed our great location close to main city attractions.
I hope we will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next stay with us.
Ohio
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I actually stayed here on my honeymoon. The location was great but I made the grave mistake of not researching like I needed to. The concierge is basically nonexistent and the service is just sub par. However, the location is suburb! Also, the breakfast is not bad either. Overall, I wish I would have spent my money elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 848FrederickE
Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay in our hotel.
We apologize for the level of service you experienced on this occasion and will indeed be following up in all areas mentioned, espacially concerning your interactions with the concierge. We do hold the greatest importance to up keeping high guest service levels and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention in order to help us follow up.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The best feature of this hotel is its location. Most of Paris's key attractions are within comfortable walking distance..... Louvre Museum, Museo D'Orsay, Notre Dame Cathedral, The Opera, the Seine.... Our room was small, bright as it faced an open area in front of the Palais Royal, but not meant for for more than showering and sleeping. Service all round was friendly and competent. The concierge service is under heavy pressure and they do a reasonable job. The Brasserie is very good. In fact, on average it was the best food we had in Paris. ( generally speaking the food in Paris was tres disappointing). We had all 7 breakfasts at the Brasserie, 2 lunches and one dinner. In hindsight, I would have another dinner or two there. Housekeeping services were good, the gym is tiny...... 1 treadmill, one weights machine, one stationary bike, no window. The bar was fine, good service. Overall, adequate, but not of the level I would expect from a Hyatt, though it's Hyatt priced. However, it's location is excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank your for your review following your stay in Paris.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us !
Be sure that we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the gym.
We would be happy to welcome you again during your next parisian getaway.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked this hotel on the basis that we were staying in a 5 star hotel at a great location. While the location was good and the staff were friendly, the hotel itself was very disappointing. From the reviews I read on Tripadvisor, I was a bit concerned about the rooms and how well they have been maintained. With my concerns, my travel agent requested higher level renovated rooms (as my children were with me and required two rooms). When we arrived at the hotel, we had one renovated room and one room which was old, rundown and smelly (both on a low level). Even though I contacted reception, they tried to accommodate me by changing the un-renovated room to another room further along the floor, far away from my children in the separate room. Additionally, the hallways smelt musky and were filled with dust.

The upside to the hotel is that breakfast was excellent and staff are very friendly. Also, the beds were very comfortable.

This hotel needs major renovations and I would definitely not stay here again. For the dear price of the rooms, it is not worth it.

We are on our way to Nice and staying in another Hyatt hotel, hopefully this experience will be much better than Paris.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to ensure they are renovated.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa F
Every room is singular and to provide our clients the best services, all our rooms are being renovated. We apologize for the level of service you experienced on this occasion and will indeed be following up in all areas mentioned. We do hold the greatest importance to up keeping high guest service levels and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention in order to help us follow up.