“Upgrade to a Superior Room”

Hotel Albe Bastille
Ranked #586 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Washington, DC
“Upgrade to a Superior Room”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. As other reviewers commented, the staff speaks limited english but are willing to work with you if you are not an experienced French speaker. The location is tucked in a lovely, quiet neighborhood near Bastille.

It's a quick walk away from the Gare de Lyons if you need to rent a car or take the train. There is a small, lovely boulanger on the same corner as the hotel. They speak no English so go in equipped with knowing your numbers and how to say "how much" in French while pointing. However, it's not very convenient to the "touristy" parts of Paris...expect to walk quite a bit or to take the Metro everywhere.

Some other reviewers complain about the cost of the breakfast. Indeed 12 euros seems like a lot, but when we calculated how much we would spend on 3 pieces of bread (croissants, baguettes) each, 2 cups of cafe, a glass (or two) of orange juice, and two eggs at any other restaurant in paris, we realized it was a decent deal. However, I would have been happy if the hotel would roll cost of the breakfast into the room tariffs and treat it as a "complimentary".

Prior to our trip, we had read about the small rooms. It's european hotel so I expect little space in a hotel. After all, you are not there to sleep all day, you are there to see the sights of beautiful Paris. We chose to upgrade our room from standard to superior. For only 10 more euros, it was well worth the extra space for when we decided to call it an early night. The one downside was the firm bed. In all of my trips abroad, I don't believe I ever felt a firmer bed than the one at this hotel.

Another word of caution I would make for families who are looking to stay here. After 9, there are some rather adult programs that appear on a few channels that would make the average conservative American blush. Just be cautious as you flip through the channels with children in the room.

Other quirks about the room included the vigorous water pressure - a delightful treat for a European hotel, but caused water to go everywhere in the bathroom when one takes a shower. The room& safe keys are rather cumbersome and dated, but the hotel staff is happy to hold those for you while you sight see during the day. The elevator was tiny and only hold about 500 lbs. If you choose to take the stairs, you'll find a spiral outside stone staircase.

Overall, the rooms were clean, roomy, and the hotel staff was very friendly. The price was very reasonable considering its location to the Metro.

Room Tip: If you are use to spacious American hotels, then upgrade to a Superior room. It's 10 more Euros...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kristina C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have now stayed at this time 3 times when in Paris. The hotel is lovely and the staff is friendly, although they do not speak a lot of english they are willing to speak a little english, mixed with my little french and pantomiming - will go above and beyond to assist. The elevator is TINY so beware!. Every time I've stayed I've had a room facing the street which even with the farmers market in the am is not noisy. It is close to the metro and great dining and patisserie's!! I recommend often to friends going to Paris!

Room Tip: I love this hotel but the woman working the kitchen was quite rude this last time I stayed. All pre...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Standard Double - Room #304
Small hotel in quiet neighbourhood 500m from Bastille
with convenient access to Ledru-Rolin metro station line #8.
Compact, noisy rooms with poor bathroom lay-out,
cumbersome room & safe keys, & non sound-proofed windows.
Every surface in room was covered in a layer of gritty dust.
Stone floor had fur & hair balls in corners etc.....
English speaking TV limited to CNN only.
Substantial breakfast & Internet desk in lobby.
Wonderful local Boulangerie plus laundromat & supermarket nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelBox
turin
Reviewed 3 December 2012

yes, location is convenient.
yes price is not too high (160 euros for a single room is not too much in paris).
I arrived late in the evening and welcome and service were normal, not particularly warm.
the room was spacious but all noises from nearby room could be heard, it was as if walls were carton-made. breakfast area is tiny and variety is limited.
in short, a good 3 stars that is paid and rated 4 just because it's in paris.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed here for one night after returning from the South of France. We got in extremely late and the hotel staff was still so accommodating. They even called a taxi for us in the morning! We loved the Bastille area!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and I visited Paris for a few days in October. Compared to other hotels in a similar price range (i.e., 185 to 190 Euros a night in October) we have used in Paris, we found the Pavillon Saint Louis Bastille a bit disappointing. The pros and cons of our experience follow.

Pros

Our check-in was quick --the man at the front desk spoke English and was very pleasant. The reception area and our room were nicely painted. The bathroom, although small, had been recently remodeled. The room had a hairdryer and safe (both functional) and an in-room coffee maker. It also had a small pay-as-you-go minibar (which we used to refrigerate some meat and cheese).

The hotel is near the Gare de Lyon, where many trains (including the high speed TGV) depart to the south of France and other parts of Europe. Although checkout was at noon, the hotel let us store our luggage into the afternoon until we needed it for our late afternoon train departure.

There are some nice little restaurants near the hotel. There are also some small grocery stores nearby that are open until 8 or 9 PM, and you can get bread, cheese, wine, and fruit if you want to eat an inexpensive meal.

A standard continental breakfast was included in our room price. The selection of items, however, was very small, and I would not have paid the requested price (12 Euros) to purchase the breakfast separately.

Cons

Our room (#402) was smaller than we expected. Yes, we know European hotel rooms are generally small, but we had reserved a superior double and thought we might get something a bit larger than we did. I actually measured the room. It was roughly rectangular, with floor space of 11.5 feet by 8.5 feet. Of this floor space, the bed took up almost 40% (6.5 feet by 5.5 feet). There was a very small closet, but we had to put our luggage on the floor so that also took up some of the remaining floor space. And that meant that my wife and I were continually running into each other when we moved around the room.

The main stairwell of the hotel went down the outside of the hotel, and the window of our room faced right on to the stairwell. I thought that was a poor design.

The bathroom in room 402 had a tub/shower combination with a design flaw that we have observed in some other continental bathrooms, namely that the glass partition on the bath extended only about a third of the way down the length of the tub, virtually ensuring that any use of the shower would get water all over the bathroom flower. The shower in room 402, however, had an even worse flaw: one had to manually insert the shower head into a holder on the wall, and the shower head kept falling out of the holder when one turned the water pressure on. So we gave up showering, and just took baths.

There was no noticeable external noise in our room, which faced the rear of the hotel. However, the ventilation system was noisy, producing an intermittent tapping noise through the night. I thought this noise would bother me more than it did, but I eventually got used to it.

Finally, the room had a nice, small flat screen TV with about 30 channels of satellite or cable TV but, unfortunately, none of the channels were English-language channels. Now, my wife and I don’t come to Paris for the purpose of watching TV, but late in the evening I sometimes like to catch a few minutes of news. Every other hotel I have stayed at previously on the Continent (i.e., in France, Spain, Italy, and even Greece) withnsome TV reception has had at least one English-language channel, usually BBC World. I was surprised that this hotel did not, particularly given the large number of French language channels the hotel subscribed to, some of which seemed to have nearly identical programming.

Overall, then, and given the time of year and what we paid for the room, my wife and I were a bit disappointed in the Pavillon Saint Louis Bastille. We won’t be back.

Room Tip: Avoid room 402!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul5795
Israel
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This was an excellent experience. A large triple room and very large double room on the 5th floor. Great location, great staff, very good breakfast included in price and alaround great experience!
We took AirFrance bus from/to Airport from Gare de Lyon. Got a 5 people discount and paid 15Eu a piece and a less than 5 minute walk to hotel. Much easier than Metro. Great area for restaurants and a short walk to Bastille.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family