Hotel Albe Bastille
US$319
US$300
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsgare de lyonledru rollinsouth of francefree wifibooked a single roomquadruple roomcharming hotelsmall hotelrestaurants and barswalking distancequiet at nightmini barmetro stationlovely roomyogurtstreet noisethe hotel staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. As other reviewers commented, the staff speaks limited english but are willing to work with you if you are not an experienced French speaker. The location is tucked in a lovely, quiet neighborhood near Bastille.

It's a quick walk away from the Gare de Lyons if you need to rent a car or take the train. There is a small, lovely boulanger on the same corner as the hotel. They speak no English so go in equipped with knowing your numbers and how to say "how much" in French while pointing. However, it's not very convenient to the "touristy" parts of Paris...expect to walk quite a bit or to take the Metro everywhere.

Some other reviewers complain about the cost of the breakfast. Indeed 12 euros seems like a lot, but when we calculated how much we would spend on 3 pieces of bread (croissants, baguettes) each, 2 cups of cafe, a glass (or two) of orange juice, and two eggs at any other restaurant in paris, we realized it was a decent deal. However, I would have been happy if the hotel would roll cost of the breakfast into the room tariffs and treat it as a "complimentary".

Prior to our trip, we had read about the small rooms. It's european hotel so I expect little space in a hotel. After all, you are not there to sleep all day, you are there to see the sights of beautiful Paris. We chose to upgrade our room from standard to superior. For only 10 more euros, it was well worth the extra space for when we decided to call it an early night. The one downside was the firm bed. In all of my trips abroad, I don't believe I ever felt a firmer bed than the one at this hotel.

Another word of caution I would make for families who are looking to stay here. After 9, there are some rather adult programs that appear on a few channels that would make the average conservative American blush. Just be cautious as you flip through the channels with children in the room.

Other quirks about the room included the vigorous water pressure - a delightful treat for a European hotel, but caused water to go everywhere in the bathroom when one takes a shower. The room& safe keys are rather cumbersome and dated, but the hotel staff is happy to hold those for you while you sight see during the day. The elevator was tiny and only hold about 500 lbs. If you choose to take the stairs, you'll find a spiral outside stone staircase.

Overall, the rooms were clean, roomy, and the hotel staff was very friendly. The price was very reasonable considering its location to the Metro.

Room Tip: If you are use to spacious American hotels, then upgrade to a Superior room. It's 10 more Euros than the standard, but well worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kristina C
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have now stayed at this time 3 times when in Paris. The hotel is lovely and the staff is friendly, although they do not speak a lot of english they are willing to speak a little english, mixed with my little french and pantomiming - will go above and beyond to assist. The elevator is TINY so beware!. Every time I've stayed I've had a room facing the street which even with the farmers market in the am is not noisy. It is close to the metro and great dining and patisserie's!! I recommend often to friends going to Paris!

Room Tip: I love this hotel but the woman working the kitchen was quite rude this last time I stayed. All previous times, I found the staff to be wonderful and it was only her. She looked us up and down and with disgust as she spoke to the front desk clerk about us. Not realizing that I may not speak a lot of french but I do understand it!! I was quick to then speak to the desk clerk in french to get my point across. She then just gave us dirty looks. As they say in Paris though - C'est la!! It's my favorite city and I will stay there again when I go again!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Standard Double - Room #304
Small hotel in quiet neighbourhood 500m from Bastille
with convenient access to Ledru-Rolin metro station line #8.
Compact, noisy rooms with poor bathroom lay-out,
cumbersome room & safe keys, & non sound-proofed windows.
Every surface in room was covered in a layer of gritty dust.
Stone floor had fur & hair balls in corners etc.....
English speaking TV limited to CNN only.
Substantial breakfast & Internet desk in lobby.
Wonderful local Boulangerie plus laundromat & supermarket nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelBox
Reviewed 3 December 2012

yes, location is convenient.
yes price is not too high (160 euros for a single room is not too much in paris).
I arrived late in the evening and welcome and service were normal, not particularly warm.
the room was spacious but all noises from nearby room could be heard, it was as if walls were carton-made. breakfast area is tiny and variety is limited.
in short, a good 3 stars that is paid and rated 4 just because it's in paris.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed here for one night after returning from the South of France. We got in extremely late and the hotel staff was still so accommodating. They even called a taxi for us in the morning! We loved the Bastille area!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple