“Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Skip the Line: Paris Conciergerie Monument
Ranked #122 of 1,085 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: The present monument forms only a part of the former palace of the Capetian dynasty. Charles V ceased using the palace in the 14th century and decided to house his law courts here. The Concierge, or keeper, was appointed by the king and was responsible for policing within the palace walls. At the end of the 18th century, many prisoners detained by the Revolutionary Tribunal were held in the Conciergerie, including Marie-Antoinette. Designated world heritage site by UNESCO.Open:> 2nd January to 31st December: from 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Last admission 30 minutes before closing time. Closed:> 1st January, 1st May and 25th DecemberAdmission fees: Adults : 8,5€; Concessions (18 to 25) = 5,50 €; Free admission: minors under 18*; Free admission: 18-25 years old* (citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France) * excluding school groups
Austin, Texas
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had heard that if you buy the combo ticket for the conciergerie and saint chapelle you can skip the long lines over at saint chapelle. Thats not entirely true. If you buy the combo ticket at the concergerie, you will still have to wait in the security line at saint chapelle and that line is very long. However, you will Not have to wait in the ticket line at saint chapelle. So you get to skip one line,but not both lines. Everyone has to wait in the same security line for saint chapelle, even people with museum passes.

Regarding the conciergerie, The main hall is really beautiful, with lovely arches and a wonderful open, stone, spiral staircase. It's interesting to see the history of the place - palace, jail, museum. We had small kids with us who werent very interested in the museum. So we only visited the first floor where the prison cells were. We explained some of the history to our 6 year old and she liked the "jail" aspect. However, the attention of my kids wandered pretty quickly, so we took them to the little courtyard to burn off some energy. My 3 and 6 year old made sure that the pigeons in marie antoniette's outdoor exercise area have never been chased so vigorously. :)
FYI- the conciergerie is NOT stroller friendly or wheelchair friendly. To leave the main hall you have to walk up a pretty large staircase with at least 10 stairs. That's just to get into the prison cell area. To see the rest of the museum you would have to walk up many more steps. We weren't deterred by the stairs since we only had an umbrella stroller. We folded up our umbrella stroller, used the shoulder strap to toss it on my husbands shoulder and walked up the stairs. But this would prove very difficult for a larger stroller or a handicapped person.
Stroller tip: We had an uppababy g-lite which weighs only 11 pounds. I highly recommend this stroller for traveling in france. Since it is super light weight, folds up quickly and easily, has a shoulder strap, a high 22 inch seat back, and easily accommodated my 3 year old and 45 pound 6 year old (the high seat back is key to keeping an older child comfortable). I had 2 of these strollers in Paris and we used both for long sightseeing days when I knew my 6 year old would be massively unhappy walking for 8 hours. It was a LIFESAVER. There were no french stairs that we couldn't manage, no metro stairs that were too daunting! Thats the end of my stroller tips. I don't work for uppababy or anything. But I put a LOT of time into stroller research before our trip. So I figured I'd pass on any info to you fellow travelers. :)

Visited June 2014

93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Lovely building”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Interesting to visit this place on our short trip to Paris. Plenty of history and very interesting building. Particularly poignant plaques commemorating those who lost their lives to Madame Guillotine...

Visited July 2014
Ontario Canada
366 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 758 helpful votes
“Interesting history!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The building in itself is gorgeous and immense. It is true however that once inside there isn't much to see. Do take the time to admire the architecture. Once you enter the grand hall, take the time to look at the ceiling and all of its details. There is also a mark showing where the water went up to during the great flood of 1910. If you have French descendants, it is cool to see if your family name shows up on the list of those that were executed during the French Revolution.

Also check out the remains of the medieval staircase that communicated between the Upper and Lower Chamber.

Museum Pass is accepted here.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank SylvieFrancois444
Bedford, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of the best attractions to see in Paris in under an hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I wish I could rate the Conciergerie 5 stars but it's not possible, luckily that is of no fault of their own. Over time the different uses for the building have altered it's make up, even design if you like. What's fantastic is that they have done the best with what's left. As others have said I believe it is a small bit of escapism from the hustle and bustle of Paris. Personally I am a Marie-Antoinette fan so if you are too then you MUST go just to have some inkling of her experience however small. Particularly as the Temple does not exist today or indeed the Tuilieries.
I would say the highlight is to stand in the Women's Courtyard to take a moment to think how many people stood there before their execution: Olympe de Gouges, Madame Roland etc.
It's true that there is not a great deal to see but I reiterate it is worthwhile glimpse into one of the revolutionary prisons.

Visited September 2013
Oakville, Ontario
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 380 helpful votes
“A Haunting Reminder”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The building was originally a residence for the employees of the Palais de Justice, but at the end of the fourteenth century it was turned into a prison. During the French Revolution, more than 400 French citizens were held prisoner in this place. Half of them were sent to the guillotine. A wall commemorates the victims, listing every name and the reason - some just for being a member of the nobility. It was disturbing to read this list and see the horrible conditions under which they were detained. Apparently it was a prison until 1914.

A recreation of Marie Antoinette's cell has been installed in roughly the same area where the actual cell was. You can see the courtyard where she would look out and write her letters.

This is a great spot to visit, especially if you are a history buff. It is a quick stop and an hour would be quite sufficient to do your own tour.

Visited September 2013