“Great experience!”

Promenades Gourmandes
Ranked #67 of 147 Classes & Workshops in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking classes and gourmet walking tours in Paris. Enjoy an unforgettable day in the capital of gastronomy as you combine the pleasures of strolling the markets, choosing ingredients, composing a menu, preparing an authentic French meal, and savoring the delicious result with hand-picked wines. Cooking classes are taught in the specially designed kitchen, for a fun and friendly learning atmosphere in a parisian home.
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I were in Paris for our honeymoon and he signed us up for Promenades Gourmandes for my birthday. It was a wonderful experience! I really enjoyed the market tour and spending a full day cooking, eating, and drinking wine with the other wonderful attendees! I would highly recommend this- it was a real highlight!

Reviewed 15 May 2013

My partner and I booked a day with Promenades Gourmandes after learning about them from a friend whose husband is French and trained as a chef. We couldn't have been happier with our experience. We began at the famous patisserie Stohrer, and visited at least eight other shops in the area. Aude was an attentive and well-informed guide, explaining the day's menu and what we were sourcing. After we'd collected our purchases, we then went to the lovely apartment with a roomy, well organized and excellently outfitted kitchen. I had wondered how the "group class" approach would work; as it turns out, quite well, since we had a total of six participants, all of whom were friendly food enthusiasts with differing degrees of cooking expertise. Aude's instruction was thorough, the needed directions (and corrections!) were given gently and humorously, and the prep and execution of the meal were well-staged. Halfway through our preparations at a break in the action, we stopped for a cheese course (and cheese tasting lesson) and bottle of wine. We then finished preparing the meal (which included an appetizer, entree with side vegetables, and dessert), and at its completion, sat down at a lovely table with champagne and wine to eat our excellent meal together. The entire class lasted from 9am to approximately 4pm, and completely exceeded our expectations, While the price may seem a bit high at first glance (about 560 Euros as I recall for the two of us), I know we'd have spent between 200-250 Euros for a meal of that quality along with wine and cheese at a nice Paris restaurant; so when I do the math and subtract that from the overall tariff, we were basically paying a bit over 20Euros per hour per person for our day, which to us seemed quite reasonable. In any case, we've certainly paid as much or more for other tour excursions which were far less enjoyable. We heartily encourage travelers to consider booking with Promenades Gourmandes-- you won't regret your decision!

2  Thank MisterTravelFella
Reviewed 12 May 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful day visiting local markets and preparing and thoroughly enjoying a lovely. Meal featuring monkfish, great vegetables and a killer tart with Aude, thoroughly recommend and extra bonus of sharing the experience with kindred spirits, trip highlight. And would do again if opportunity presents

Hal & Sheila H
NY, NY

1  Thank Hal H
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I read about Promenades Gourmandes in the New York Times and immediately made a reservation. I spent two weeks in Paris (Feb/Mar), and this was the highlight of my trip! What was especially wonderful was meeting and spending time with Paule and learning from her. Having the class in her lovely apartment gave me a wonderful feel for living in Paris. Aude was darling and very helpful in teaching her techniques. They complement each other and make a great teaching team. I've owned a small resort and restaurant in the High Sierra for over 30 years and help with our menu planning. The techniques I learned, I shared with our chef. It was also wonderful to wander the food shops of the Marais as our introduction to French cooking. Sharing the meal at the end of class in a relaxed setting made the day complete. The whole experience, including a full meal, appetizer, salad, dessert and wine was a wonderful way to spend the day. I would highly recommend.
Patty Brissenden,
Sorensen's Resort, Hope Valley, California

1  Thank sorensens
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Our food guide and chef was the lovely young Aude who was full of information, and absolutely charming. She showed us around all the specialty food purveyors, and explained how the French shop for their ingredients, as well as what was going on with food growers and suppliers, and gave us lots of information about the area. I would never have got the depth of information or richness of experience on my own. When we arrived at a fantastic Parisian apartment, we met Paule briefly before she left for an event she was doing. She was so welcoming and elegant and super cool. She had remembered a little detail from the questionnaire I had filled out weeks in advance, which I thought was very impressive. She had a great kitchen. It was a wonderful afternoon of learning so much (including an unexpected lesson in cheese tasting), about cooking techniques, dining habits of the French, and of course delicious recipes. Aude also pointed out hot restaurants and a chocolatier I would pass on my way back to the hotel. It was unforgettable, so very special, and I would do it again.