“Our best day in Paris”

Promenades Gourmandes
Ranked #67 of 148 Classes & Workshops in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking classes and gourmet walking tours in Paris. Enjoy an unforgettable day in the capital of gastronomy as you combine the pleasures of strolling the markets, choosing ingredients, composing a menu, preparing an authentic French meal, and savoring the delicious result with hand-picked wines. Cooking classes are taught in the specially designed kitchen, for a fun and friendly learning atmosphere in a parisian home.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My friend and I were traveling to Paris for week of shopping and fine dining. Our last day was spent with Paule and Promenades Gourmandes. First of all, everything was thoughtfully organized. We were asked ahead of time what our food "likes" and "dislikes" were as well as our level of cooking experience, so that the day could be catered to us. We were given easy to follow directions and Paule was prompt in meeting us. We were then given a wonderful tour of the most spectacular food markets in Paris, along with explanations on the history of baguettes, pastries, cheeses, etc. We made our purchases along the way and took our bounty back to Paule's apartment to begin our lesson. Recipes were printed with American measurements, which was extremely helpful. We were a very curious and chatty group, asking many questions and telling lots of stories. It felt more like a day with friends in the kitchen than a class. Regardless, we still all walked away having learned something unique to French cooking. If you are looking for a fun informal and intimate way to learn about french food shops and cooking, I highly recommend a day with Promenades Gourmandes!

1  Thank willtravelforfood103

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I have been to Paris a few times before, so we decided to take a cooking class while we were there for our anniversary. We ended up working with Paule at Promenades Grourmandes and we LOVED it. If you're waffling between two different cooking experiences/classes, choose Paule now -- you won't regret it.

She custom-made the menu with so much thought behind it, (based on our input and feedback) and the best part is, her entire philosophy is that she wants you to be able to cook this at home as well!

The class starts off with a walk/tour around a neighborhood and market, so that you learn all about the French philosophy on food, etc. Paule then opens her home to her students, and you cook right in her kitchen. She welcomes you into her home with open arms. And she's right -- you can cook the food in the comfort of your own home as well. I'm re-creating our meal for my parents when they come visit next week.

Thank you, Paule, for such a wonderful experience!

1  Thank Jess S
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My sister and I just returned from Paris. We spent an entire month there and our day spent cooking with Paule was one of the highlights of the entire stay! Paule was so gracious and informative. The market walk was very fun and her apt. is wonderful with a big kitchen counterspace to work on. The menu was tailored to meet our interests and requests and was absolutely delicious: a Moroccan inspired chicken tangine, the famous green lentils of France served with sea bass and a wonderful herb sauce. The fig tart with the flakiest crust was devoured by all. The small group of 6 made it seem like a private lesson. I highly recommend Promenades Gourmandes. We will definitely go again when we find ourselves traveling to Paris. Thank you Paule so very much!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

My daughter and I celebrated may special things with a trip for TWO to Paris. One of the MOST memorable events during our 2 weeks was the day we spent with Aude. She took us through the market, picking out all our groceries, etc.. I HIGHLY recommend the cooking classes at Promenades Gourmandes!!!! Worth EVERY penny!

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I took a cooking class with Paule Caillat of Promenades Gourmandes in Paris this weekend and had the most amazing time. The class starts with a tour of the food stores in Le Halles - fishmongers, grocers, fromageries, pattisiers - fantastic. Paule has an amazing knowledge of the history of French produce and food. We purchased produce and then walked to Paul's apartment which is in a lovely courtyard and is typically chic. The cooking class is very hands on and we cooked a wonderful French 3 course meal, with recipes provided so we can replicate at home. Half way through the morning we stopped for cheese and wine with Paule explaining the background to the cheeses. The wine had been purchased locally and paired wonderfully with the food. This class gives you a choice of food to cook when you book ensuring it is to your taste. This is a wonderful opportunity to not only learn some new skills but also to experience lunch in a truly Parisian apartment. Paule is a real character, extremely knowledgable and welcoming. I would recommend this to anyone visiting Paris with an interest in food. Please do not worry about the language issue as having travelled extensively Paule's English is perfect.