“Disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Paris, France
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

I chose this restaurant on the basis of good TA reviews, so was surprised at how empty it was on a Friday night. I'll start with the good: the restaurant is comfortable (comfy banquette seating) and I received a friendly reception. The menu, although concise (approx 4 choices for each course) was interesting and appetising and I really enjoyed the wine I chose (Chardonnay). I enjoyed my starter (crayfish tiramisu) and dessert (macaroons) very much. Sadly the main course was the disappointment: I ordered the Guinnea fowl and it was served undercooked - the centre was still raw. The accompanying vegetables (spinach and beansprouts) were also gritty. I mentioned it to the waitress when she cleared by plate and she said she would let the chef know, but there was no offer at the time to re-cook it and when the bill arrived there had been no consideration for the fact that I'd been unable to eat most of my main course, so I (very politely) asked it to be taken into account. The manageress came over to speak to me and asked why I hadn't sent it back to the kitchen and informed me that's what I should have done; however did agree to make a goodwill discount of €5. I left feeling rather awkward from the whole affair, disappointed with my meal and also quite surprised that there wasn't more concern at a rather basic error being made with a poultry dish. I will mention, though, that thankfully I was not ill as a result.

I can understand why other people have rated this restaurant highly - suspect my experience was the exception rather than the rule - and wish I was also able to rate it more highly.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Suzie12

“Excellent restaurant ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Went here with my wife and a friend who lives close to it. It was extremely quiet on a Tuesday evening. Staff were lovely and spoke very good English. The food was great. My starter of poached egg and Chablis seemed an unlikely combination, but tasted fab. My wife's mushroom tart was OK. I had the beef burger with foie gras and my wife had veal with grapes, both of which were excellent.

Would highly recommend this place.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not that good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

We went there because we read the reviews, And it was nice, but really nothing more. The bread was good, but the meat, that was supposed to be medieun rear tasted like a chweing gum, and the potatos were not eatable. The coed fish was good, but for 20 euros we really excpected alot better. Go if you are hungrey, but u can find alot better in this area

1 Thank Pudingmed
“Excellent, affordable place to dine in Saint Martin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

This small place is elegantly designed, and the service was welcoming and friendly.

We had a 3 part fixed dinner for 30 Euros - a reasonable price for a Paris dinner. The appetizers, main courses and deserts, albeit small, were all delicious, very well cooked and presented, offering delicate tastes and textures. I wish I got the names so I could repeat them here, but I trust whatever you chose from the short menu will be just fine.

Recommended!

• Visited March 2013
Portland Oregon
“Another neighborhood bistro that satisfies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We visited on a cold Monday evening in early January. Although we had reserved via e-mail, and received a prompt reply, there wasn't an issue as it was a quiet evening, with regulars filtering in later that night. Positive comments echoed in other reviews on this website are ones we can endorse, and dishes including the sensuous pot au feu, the butternut and parmesan soup in the Liege style, and the pork medallion dish that included carrot top ice cream (yes it sounds odd but tastes delicious) were memorable. As we were staying at a nearby flat, it was a sensible choice and could become habit forming if we had stayed longer. The street (Rue du Vertbois) has perhaps a half dozen such establishments, including the infamous Ami Louis, but you'll find good food, reasonable prices and caring attention at Le Vernissoir. Thank you Virginie.

• Visited January 2013