“Friendly and Charming Accomodations”
Review of New Orient Hotel

New Orient Hotel
Ranked #273 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Friendly and Charming Accomodations”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I echo the positive comments of the other reviewers. All the staff are friendly and willing to help out and make suggestions. A few blocks from two metro stops and in a neighborhood with a number of shops etc. We really enjoyed our stay here and it served as a perfect start to our European vacation. There are perhaps neighborhoods more convenient to the major sites for tourists but the Paris metro is one of the best in Europe so everything is relatively convenient. This is not the typical corporate feel of a Hilton/Marriott or similar but is more of a small, boutique hotel with personal service. You can tell the owners and staff really care about the place. I would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in July 2014 for the first three nights of our honeymoon. We chose it after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and were so pleased! The lobby is small, but adorable, and the couple who run the hotel are very nice and helpful - they are more than willing to make suggestions and help with dinner reservations. (It almost has more of a "bread and breakfast" feel than a hotel, in a good way!) When we arrived in our room, there was a lovely card and note from the owners congratulating us on our wedding, with a paperweight of the Eiffel Tower! What a thoughtful touch. We thought the location was perfect. There are several metro stops nearby, and we easily navigated our way there from the airport by metro. We were able to walk to the Seine, the Champs-Elysees, and Montmartre. (All about a 20-30 minute walk - we don't mind walking and didn't find things to be far.) There is also a great market street just up the road that occupies about one block; there are cute cafes, a cheese shop, a wine shop, and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Overall, the location was great - we loved being in a quiet neighborhood of Paris but within walking distance to many parts of the city. The hotel itself was very clean. Our room was the typical size of a Europen-style room; small by American standards, but nicely decorated, and like I said, very clean. We opted for a room with a balcony - I would definitely recommend it! We enjoyed coffee, wine, cheese, and other snacks while looking over the rooftops of Paris. We could not have picked a better place to kick off our honeymoon! Merci bien, New Orient Hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors get more sun! I recommend a room with a balcony.
1 Thank LeslieUSA
Antalya
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in Paris for 5 days and we chose the New Orient Hotel because of its good recommendations for families. Since we traveled with a toddler, its nice to know that small kids are welcomed at a place. The hotel staff is really friendly and most important - the hotel is very clean!
As I could understand - most hotel rooms in Paris are rather small (ours too) - but we had a newly renovated bathroom and a very clean room. The location is perfect if you should travel with a stroller, since it is much easier to use busses then metro with a stroller/buggy. Directly next to the hotel is a supermarket that is opened till 10 pm. Specially with a toddler that is very handy. We would definitely come back again and I can only recommend this small but cosy hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank September M
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is close to the Europe metro station and Saint-Lazare train station. There's a supermarket directly over the road and several restaurants down the street. The bed was very comfortable and felt like sleeping on a cloud! The hotel and rooms were clean with traditional decor. Wi-Fi was fast and efficient, on the first floor at least. The staff were friendly and cracked jokes with us. It was expensive for what it was, but I guess that's Paris for you. No coffee or tea making facilities were in the room. The lift was broken, so we were put on the first floor, but I was hoping to be put on a higher floor for the views. Breakfast isn't included and costs €9 for continental and €13 for buffet, so instead we went out to get breakfast at a cafe for about €5.

Room Tip: I wanted a room higher up for the views, but was given a room on the first floor due to the broken l...
2 Thank Lauren S
Catherine W, Directeur général at New Orient Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guests,

We thank you for your visit in our hotel taking time to share your impressions about your stay with us.

We are sorry that the lift was out of order during a few hours but it was due to the exceptionally high temperature in Paris which influenced the lift cables as in many other buildings and hotels in Paris. Fortunately it did not last very long and we really did our best to help our guests as much as we could.

Concerning the breakfast rate, of course we cannot give a full breakfast with very good quality products as much as you want, with a nice service, for only 5€ , as it does not even cover our ground costs for a continental breakfast. Also we understand that 9€ can be too much for some of our guests and are pleased to have bakeries in the area providing 1 coffee and 1 croissant for 5€.

In spite of this, we are also pleased to read that you appreciated our service and bed comfort .

Wishing you all the best,

with our best regards

Catherine Wehrle
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I actually stayed in this hotel back in 2012 but I am glad to see that it still is getting rave reviews. I thought I might add my own since it still seems to ring true.

I took my daughter to Paris to celebrate her 13th birthday and she was not disappointed. The people in this hotel are truly delightful. When they found out that it was my daughter's birthday they even bought her a charming little souvenir as a present. Even more incredibly they did not cringe when I tried out my rusty french on them, they even encouraged it!

As for the room we had, although small, it was neat as a pin and, as we were at the rear of the hotel, very quiet. I agree that for breakfast it's a better idea to scoot around the corner to the local boulangerie. There are also local restaurants around that offer simple and simply delicious french fare. I don't know what magic the french have with salad dressings but the simplest vinaigrette at the humblest bistro is far better than anything I've had at most 5 star restaurants.

Transportation is so easy. Although I didn't want to try the Metro for fear of getting lost with my daughter there was a taxi stand just down the street. This is an expensive but very comfortable option.

I can't wait to go back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank julie V
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We chose this hotel after seeing all the good reviews on tripadvisor. We definitely weren't disappointed. Everything is so charming about this hotel and our rooms, though small, was very clean, cosy and provided a homey feel despite the crazy walking, sight-seeing and shopping me and husband did throughout our stay in Paris. Breakfast is decently priced. But if you want to save on breakfast, a Boulangerie is just located on the right hand side of the hotel. The supermarket is just directly across the street and the hotel is surrounded by little restaurants. So you'll never run out of food. There is also free wifi.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Just 15 mins walk to Lafayette and an additional 10 mins walk to Rue St Honore. There are 3 metro stations located around the hotel, namely, Villiers, Europe and St Lazare. We arrived Paris from Gare du Nord and took metro line 4 to Barbes Rochechouart before changing to metro line 2 to Villiers. Heading home, we took the metro to L'opera to take the Roissybus to CDG airport.

Lastly, compliments to the owners, Catherine and Josef and their staff for making us feel welcome and right at home. We will certainly be back at New Orient for our next visit!

2 Thank CatJJ
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I spent three nights here recently on a quick trip from London. The welcome was warm and check in was amazingly efficient. Although the room was small, it was very clean and tastefully decorated. The view of the Haussmann streetscape in the 8eme was delightful. From this hotel it is easy to catch a train to Giverny from Gare St Lazare, stroll down to Galeries Lafayette and the Opera district as well as visitt some local museums like the Jacquemart-Andre. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Front rooms have nice view and balcony, but when windows open noise could be an issue. Double glazin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo