New Orient Hotel
US$347
US$283
Official Site
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel WO - Wilson Opera(Paris)
US$185
US$241
US$233
Very Good 4/5
1,187 results
All reviewsgare st lazaregrocery store across the streettwo metro stationsminute walkcharming hotelsmall hotelfew blocksvisit parissmall roomvilliersbalconyeuropeneighborhoodelevatorfrenchrueluggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We had 6 nights in Paris and decided to spend 3 on the left bank and 3 on the right. I chose this hotel for our right bank stint based on consistently good reviews here and on other sites. Our first 3 left bank nights were in a more expensive 3-star hotel with a fabulous location close to the Seine and the islands and the Latin Quarter etc. We grew attached to that area and were reluctant to leave at the end of our three days, but once we walked into the New Orient we ended up wishing we had stayed all six nights there!

Compared to our first hotel, the New Orient was 25 euros cheaper per night, and for less money we got a lovely room nearly twice the size of the other, with a more spacious bath and two balconies, a much better bed and fluffier pillows, new double-glazed windows, in a quieter area. It also had a much, much better AC -- we had a bad air conditioner in the previous hotel (Acte V), which can ruin a trip during a hot spell. The New Orient staff and hosts were incredibly attentive and friendly, the room was very nicely appointed and clean, and both the private and public spaces are extremely welcoming.

The expected downside compared to our first hotel was supposed to be the greater distance to the riverside and left bank attractions, but to our surprise and delight, the New Orient’s location in the upper 8th was not a downside after all. It's in a tidy and peaceful part of the city, on a quiet street, with many nearby brasseries, boulangeries, shops and cafes that service the locals rather than catering just to tourists. It’s still easily walking distance to Montmartre or the Louvre or Tulleries Gardens, etc. And with several nearby metro/RER stops, getting around was a snap.

If I return to Paris I will go straight back to the New Orient, and would enthusiastically recommend it to family, friends or colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vernvertigo
Reviewed 16 July 2010

New Orient is a very nice hotel. It is conveniently located. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. Staff is very helpful and polite.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2010

lift was a little scary to negotiate with suitcase, due to the spiral staircase you had to step behind or down stair to open the lift door..lovely bakery on same street going to Villers station. Hotel staff were very helpful. rooms very clean Lovely tiny balcony so you could open the door for fresh air. Air con very quiet and lovely comfortable bed. Good location and reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The "New Orient Hotel" was "perfect" for our first trip to Paris. Being the first time to Europe for that matter I really did not know what to expect from this establishment, but after staying there for four nights and as evidenced from the positive feedback I provided it was just that PERFECT!!

The location of the hotel with close proximity to the Metro (Villiers Station), many surrounding restaurants, a grocery/convenience store across the street, bakeries galore and a well fitted out laundrette across the street and a couple of stores down made for a perfect stay.

Before I go any further I really should mention how friendly the staff were and how they were really there to help me and my partner in our stay at Paris. Unable to speak French there really wasn't a language barrier at all as we could communicate with them in English.

The room we stayed in was a Superior Twin Room as all the double rooms had been booked out. But because we were on a budget and bookings were made very last minute, Micheline was able to speak to the owners who were happy to offer me the Superior Twin Room at the same price of the Double Room for the four nights. They also arranged for the two beds to be joined together for us as well.

On arrival after our train ride from Amsterdam we were glad to make it to our accomodation. But on opening the door to our room we were presented with our own little bit of Paris. Honestly I was surprised by the size of the room, the fitout and cleanliness of it. I don't know how the star rating works in Paris but this was nothing like what I would expect from a two star hotel. The accomodation I would say personally was four stars, maybe it's things like room service which aren't provided which make it a two star, but when you're in Paris who needs room service.

I could go on forever about how good this place is but I won't as I'll leave you to find out for yourselves. I know one thing however and that is when I come to Paris next I'll definitely be staying at the New Orient Hotel and I'll be recommending my friends do as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The New Orient hotel is situated in a neighborhood where traditionally music instrument makers reside. Next to the hotel are violin makers, trombone dealers and repair shops, etc. The neighborhood is almost ideally located behind the St. Lazare station, surprisingly close on one side to the old opera house and the grands boulevards with the famous department stores, and on the other to the Champs Elysées. The hotel has recently been renovated. The rooms are quiet with air conditioning and not as small as one expects in two star Paris hotels. The room rates are reasonable, and the atmosphere in the hotel was very agreeable.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business