New Orient Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
1,188 results
All reviewsgare st lazaregrocery store across the streettwo metro stationsminute walkcharming hotelsmall hotelfew blocksvisit parissmall roomvilliersbalconyeuropeneighborhoodelevatorfrenchrueluggage
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Well run, friendly hotel. Everything spick and span. I think every room has a balcony - ours did - so you can go out and see for miles down the Rue de Constantinople. Easy to get to from Gare Du Nord.

I recommend the area too. Handy for the metro, and plenty of places to eat. I particularly liked the fact it appears to be where all the musical instrument shops are - including one making / selling / repairing just double basses. Lots of quirky little shops too that would just get gobbled up in somewhere like London. I'm sure it's much better value than somewhere slightly closer in, and nice to get just slightly off the beaten track.

We saw a car rally go through on our Sunday morning which was just great.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I first stayed at the New Orient Hotel in January 2007, after selecting it on the basis that it was one of the very few 'true' non-smoking hotels in Paris at the time (some of the other so-called "non smoking hotels" had smoking levels, I found out, and probably still have today). Not a small achievement for a French place, as people who have visited this country can tell you. That was my first and only criteria to choose this hotel, and the quick & friendly email responses from the owner closed the deal. I was then happily surprised, upon checking-in, by the immaculate cleanliness, friendly service and great location (near subway entrance, convenience store across the street, walking distance of Opera & Montmartre). It was a romantic getaway and room 22 was perfect, but more impressive was the willingness shown by Ms Wehrle to ensure that flowers and chocolates were in place before our arrival, as instructed.

[I am ashamed to say that I did consider writing a glowing report on this website at the time, but got lazy and never got to do it. I am happy to put this to right today]

I didn’t even think of calling another hotel when planning a recent stay in Paris last month (June 2010). This time to meet a London-based friend. That is when I realised that the proximity of the Gare St Lazare makes it a great location for Eurostar users. Same helpful staff, clean room (quieter as in the back of the building) and excellent bathroom facilities (yes, I know, hard to believe that all three can be found together in France!).

Of course, being located in a character Parisian building, not one room is identical, the plumbing can be heard sometimes and the lift is in itself a funny experience that you will talk about for years to come. But that is part of the charm of this hotel that so many soulless glass & concrete establishments lack today. And without the good advice given by the New Orient Hotel staff, I would never have found the hidden gem that is the Printemps Galerie Lafayette top floor restaurant, nearby.

The awards received by the New Orient Hotel since my first stay three years ago, given by well-know travelling guides and noticed by me on the entrance wall, are testimony of the excellence shown by this well-run establishment.

Note: didn’t have breakfast there, so can’t comment on it

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cafe_cyber
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We had to cancel 3 nights due to illness, staff were very understanding and didn't charge us. Value for money compared to most hotels in Paris, very convenient to Galleries Lafette, interesting music shops close by. Rooms are comfortable, small but all amenities. Would love to return in a flash next trip to Paris.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We had 6 nights in Paris and decided to spend 3 on the left bank and 3 on the right. I chose this hotel for our right bank stint based on consistently good reviews here and on other sites. Our first 3 left bank nights were in a more expensive 3-star hotel with a fabulous location close to the Seine and the islands and the Latin Quarter etc. We grew attached to that area and were reluctant to leave at the end of our three days, but once we walked into the New Orient we ended up wishing we had stayed all six nights there!

Compared to our first hotel, the New Orient was 25 euros cheaper per night, and for less money we got a lovely room nearly twice the size of the other, with a more spacious bath and two balconies, a much better bed and fluffier pillows, new double-glazed windows, in a quieter area. It also had a much, much better AC -- we had a bad air conditioner in the previous hotel (Acte V), which can ruin a trip during a hot spell. The New Orient staff and hosts were incredibly attentive and friendly, the room was very nicely appointed and clean, and both the private and public spaces are extremely welcoming.

The expected downside compared to our first hotel was supposed to be the greater distance to the riverside and left bank attractions, but to our surprise and delight, the New Orient’s location in the upper 8th was not a downside after all. It's in a tidy and peaceful part of the city, on a quiet street, with many nearby brasseries, boulangeries, shops and cafes that service the locals rather than catering just to tourists. It’s still easily walking distance to Montmartre or the Louvre or Tulleries Gardens, etc. And with several nearby metro/RER stops, getting around was a snap.

If I return to Paris I will go straight back to the New Orient, and would enthusiastically recommend it to family, friends or colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vernvertigo
Reviewed 16 July 2010

New Orient is a very nice hotel. It is conveniently located. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. Staff is very helpful and polite.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family