“More than met our expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Orient Hotel

New Orient Hotel
Ranked #193 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
San Diego, CA
“More than met our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

The Hotel New Orient was like our home away from home in Paris. The owners, Josef and Catherine, were so friendly and helpful. They always were ready to greet guests with a friendly "Hello" and to answer their questions. Another staff member, Amar, was very accommodating with our requests. There are many nice restaurants in the area, a small grocery store across the street, and a pedestrian street nearby lined with boulangeries, patisseries, charcuteries, and fresh food markets. The rooms at the hotel were clean and tidy, and our room, on the back, was quiet and cozy. The location was convenient to Metro stations and train stations and made getting around Paris easy. If I ever return to Pairs, I would definitely stay again at the Hotel New Orient!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Like the title says - this is probably the best hotel I've stayed at yet.

We've spent 8 days in a double en-suite room, which was probably the cleanest room I've ever seen in a hotel. The shower was sparkling white, I felt very comfortable walking barefoot wherever, the bedsheets were squeaky clean - the whole deal.

The room was rather small (as we'd expected), but had a lovely little balcony watching over the street (Rue de Constantinople). We actually asked for a balcony in the comments section of our reservation form, so I strongly advise you to do the same (only not when I'm coming to stay there again).

The area wasn't as central/lively as a hotel in the heart of the Latin Quarter would probably have been, but I think I actually prefer it that way, as its location was perfect for us: a very short walking distance from an amazing Brioche Dorée bakery for breakfasts (among other options, of course - but that's what we preferred), a selection of quiet (though pricey) bars for night time, and two metro stations that allowed us to easily get to the less quiet and more vibrant parts of the city. It's also quite a short walk (around 15 minutes?) to the Opera / Galeries Lafayette area, if that's your thing, and of course the streets around it felt completely safe to walk around, day or middle-of-the-night.

Also, over these 8 days I think we've probably met the entire hotel reception staff, and every single one of them, without exception, was ever-so welcoming and helpful, and it's probably worth to keep in mind we don't speak any French (but I think that goes for Paris generally - English gets you what you want and to wherever you wanna be without any problems whatsoever).

Bottom line - This was our first trip to Paris, so I don't know how it feels to live in other parts of the city, but I do know that next time we're there we'll have to be in a *really* adventurous mood if we're to look for another hotel. Fantastic value for money, and then some.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rssd
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

I've been to several european hotels. While small and cozy, this one provided all the space needed and was very quiet and clean. elevator is tiny -enough for a couple pieces of luggage and 1-2 mid sized people- but all workable!

Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

My family of three stayed here for five nights in August 2010. The location is far enough away from the city center that you can breathe but close to three Metro stations that allow you to get almost anywhere in the city in minutes. We stayed in one of the family rooms. It was understandably small, but we weren't looking for a place to live, just a base of operations for sight seeing. There are enough cafes and bars in the area to allow for a late dinner and drinks when the sightseeing is done for the day. There is a small grocery store right across the street where you can grab baguettes for a quick breakfast and other supplies for the room.

The clencher for me: We left the hotel and my 17 year old son left his wallet, with cash, credit card, and all of his identification (minus passport), in the hotel room. We got home and found an email waiting for us from the hotel's owner letting us know that they had it and would put it in the mail at the earliest possible time. They packaged the wallet very securely and mailed it immediately. My son had his things back within the week. Fantastic service.

The staff is very helpful. On several occasions we returned back to the hotel very late, after everything else in the area was closed, and the helpful staff would go into the bar/kitchen area to get us water, orange juice, and other items. They made reservations for us for dinner, helped with baggage, recommended breakfast stops, called us a cab the day we departed, anything you would expect from a concierge at a large upscale hotel.

Overall fantastic experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed for 3 nights and found this hotel to be excellent value for money with great service. Check in couldn't have been easier, we were literally just handed the key as I had prepaid with an excellent Tripadvisor rate. The room was small but this is Paris and we had a lovely antique bed, huge armoire and traditional French dressing table. If you want something traditional, this is it! The hotel is conveniently located between 2 metro stations and is opposite a supermarket. If I could have one wish I would have had a kettle in the room for a tea or coffee in the morning but this is a small quibble. Much better than a 2 star and we've stayed all over!

• Stayed August 2010
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

Well run, friendly hotel. Everything spick and span. I think every room has a balcony - ours did - so you can go out and see for miles down the Rue de Constantinople. Easy to get to from Gare Du Nord.

I recommend the area too. Handy for the metro, and plenty of places to eat. I particularly liked the fact it appears to be where all the musical instrument shops are - including one making / selling / repairing just double basses. Lots of quirky little shops too that would just get gobbled up in somewhere like London. I'm sure it's much better value than somewhere slightly closer in, and nice to get just slightly off the beaten track.

We saw a car rally go through on our Sunday morning which was just great.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

I first stayed at the New Orient Hotel in January 2007, after selecting it on the basis that it was one of the very few 'true' non-smoking hotels in Paris at the time (some of the other so-called "non smoking hotels" had smoking levels, I found out, and probably still have today). Not a small achievement for a French place, as people who have visited this country can tell you. That was my first and only criteria to choose this hotel, and the quick & friendly email responses from the owner closed the deal. I was then happily surprised, upon checking-in, by the immaculate cleanliness, friendly service and great location (near subway entrance, convenience store across the street, walking distance of Opera & Montmartre). It was a romantic getaway and room 22 was perfect, but more impressive was the willingness shown by Ms Wehrle to ensure that flowers and chocolates were in place before our arrival, as instructed.

[I am ashamed to say that I did consider writing a glowing report on this website at the time, but got lazy and never got to do it. I am happy to put this to right today]

I didn’t even think of calling another hotel when planning a recent stay in Paris last month (June 2010). This time to meet a London-based friend. That is when I realised that the proximity of the Gare St Lazare makes it a great location for Eurostar users. Same helpful staff, clean room (quieter as in the back of the building) and excellent bathroom facilities (yes, I know, hard to believe that all three can be found together in France!).

Of course, being located in a character Parisian building, not one room is identical, the plumbing can be heard sometimes and the lift is in itself a funny experience that you will talk about for years to come. But that is part of the charm of this hotel that so many soulless glass & concrete establishments lack today. And without the good advice given by the New Orient Hotel staff, I would never have found the hidden gem that is the Printemps Galerie Lafayette top floor restaurant, nearby.

The awards received by the New Orient Hotel since my first stay three years ago, given by well-know travelling guides and noticed by me on the entrance wall, are testimony of the excellence shown by this well-run establishment.

Note: didn’t have breakfast there, so can’t comment on it

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple