“Great location, great value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel des Grandes Ecoles
Ranked #448 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Portland, Oregon
“Great location, great value”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This lovely hotel occupies three buildings around a courtyard garden, a lovely respite from the city streets. Weather permitting, breakfast is served here; and people may bring in food for lunches and dinners. There's an English-speaking person at the desk around the clock. Charming Marie oversees all. The rooms vary in size and features, so it pays to be specific about what you want. The hotel is so popular, you can't book more than a few months ahead--and you must book as soon as it's allowed in order to get a room. It's a great location and a great value.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have showers, so if you need one, ask. Rooms facing the courtyard provide light and g...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Withyscott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Hebrew first
Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We returned this summer with our two children. Our first visit being on our own 13 years ago. Just as lovely and friendly as the first time. The same person served us breakfast as well as the same person at the front desk. Wonderful breakfast, beautiful courtyard, friendly staff. Convenient location. A quiet place tucked away near the metro and walking distance of Notre Dame.The family bedroom was roomy and comfortable. The wallpaper and matching drapes were very pretty although probably time for an upgrade. We would definitely return there again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HTRCanada
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

What a delightful surprise when the hotel actually surpasses the brochure! We stayed in a room with 4 single beds and enjoyed the hospitality of the staff and their assistance in whatever we required. We stayed there for 11 nights and almost cried when we had to leave... It is close to lovely shops and restaurants and close to the Metro. What more can one ask for in Paris? Although some days were hot one can open the windows wide and the fan also helps where necessary. This is not a hotel where you should go if you expect TV and other in room amenities, it is a lovely break from the usual " one hotel same as next one" mentality and one can enjoy life without TV. We made use of the wifi and the lovely garden. We are going back next year!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank liesel k
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This Hotel used to be a girls school (apparently). We were very impressed when we walked into the little courtyard. It was so beautiful and all the flowers were in bloom and the outside tables were full of guests soaking up the sun and the atmosphere.
Our room, however, was very very small. We did have an extra bed in the room for my daughter but honestly if that bed had not been there it was still very very small, and compared to other places we had stayed throughout Paris this was quite expensive.
However, the cleaniless, friendliness and overall atmosphere of the place was fantastic. All guests were able to buy their own food or drink outside and bring it in and dine in the courtyard.
The location of the hotel is fantastic to many restaurants, the Left Bank and lots of interesting little streets full of shops.
Fantastic and would recommend it albeit the rooms were small

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianne W
northerner abroad
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Major heatwave in Paris during my stay which seemed to upset rather a lot of people who expected air con - though my fan was quite sufficient to make the evenings pleasant (and in Paris you are usually out most of the day anyway). My room was on the ground floor of the garden building and was plenty big enough for me (it had a table and chairs and a dressing table with chair too) - it was also spotless as always - and the bed and bedding were comfortable. At 135 euros I really don't know what more the 'people who moan' expect - and there were a few of them carrying on and being abusive to the staff while I was trying to enjoy the peace and quiet (and to swear in front of your wife and young children, as I observed one of them doing, just because you haven't got air con is rather sad I think). To have such fabulous outside space is amazing for the centre of Paris (and the hotel will supply you with glasses for your own wine and plates etc if you want to bring your own food back too) so I really can't see what's not to like. To be honest the place is better without the moaners and swearers - leave it for us who enjoy the friendliness, the peace, the garden and the great surroundings. This hotel is now my home from home whenever I am in Paris (which is as often as possible!)

Room Tip: This was the first time I stayed in a ground floor garden room (number 32) and it was the biggest ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Finoula
Reviewed 19 August 2012

August, 100 degrees, no A/C
Rooms smaller than your smallest closet
Expensive for the amenities offered, no valet to take your bags so you must sweat and struggle to get to your room
Fans were not working either - a horrible disappointment - Karen Brown should be ashamed of herself for recommending

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Londonerred
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 August 2012

As everyone says, it is a beautiful, charming place. There was a mix-up with the room as they had not reserved a room with two beds (I was with my mother), but moved quickly to make it right. They put another bed in there, which was very comfortable. We were on the ground floor, which I was glad for, as it got quite hot while we were there (high 80's) and our room got quite stuffy. I can't imagine being on a higher floor. Then again, they had windows to open which we did not. The bathroom was nice, although the hairdryer was very weak. It took forever to dry my hair and I have thin hair. I recommend bringing your own if you have thick hair. It was adnenture climbing out of the shower due to the steepness, but we managed.

The location was great, right by the metro and an easy walk to ile de la cite. We had no desire to spend 9 euros for breakfast and walked 10 feet out the gate to the cafe catty-corner from the hotel. By the third morning, we didn't even have to order anymore and the coffee was excellent! The Rue Mouffetard was an excellent place for strolling, eating and shopping. Our favorite restaurant was the Restaurant Francaise at the corner of Mouffetard and Pot de fer. I don't know if that's the actual name, but that's what it said outside.

I had no problems with th wi-fi. It did expire after three days, but I got another log-in and it was no problem. Reception in my room was fine, but that may be due to the ground floor room. When we left, they arranged an airport shuttle for us as my mother did not want to deal with hauling her suitcase around on the metro. It wasn't that expensive (34 euros) and it was nice not to hassle with the metro with a suitcase.

All in all, I enjoyed it and would return.

Room Tip: If you need two beds, make sure they confirm that.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends